Caribou Gear Tarp

Coyote/Wolf Derby Canceled?

weather these pictures were (photoshopped) or not it don't make sportsman look good for what others do. http://www.wildmesquite.org/news/coyote-graveyard-discovered-near-las-cruces/122914

http://www.wildmesquite.org/node/715

. I'm not against killing predators because they need managed but what ever we kill I think we should do it with some class no mater what we hunt.

Thanks, I didn't see those pics. I agree with you. I'll add these contests generate a lot of money... For the anti-hunting organizations.

I hate to say this as I know that I am going to get hammered for saying it but here it goes. We as hunters are our own worst enemies. Just look at some of programs on TV showing people with their faces painted like ninga turtles running around screaming like little children instead of grownups. We have people posting on forums how we have the right to do as we please and the heck with others. We don't bother to attend meetings about wildlife and express our view in a civilized manner. I am 70 years old and have been hunting most of my life and see no reason for hunting contests as all they are going to do is to further the divide between hunters and those who don't hunt. If we as hunters want to continue our sport we are going to have to mind our manners,keep our mouths shut except for promoting our sport and realize that we are a minority in the world today.

Hunters seem to pick some curious issues to be passionate about. Too bad they are rarely the issues that will really make a difference in protecting our heritage for future generations.

Touch 'em all Oak.

Apparently, the "hunt" is back on.

"Great News... The hunt is back on!! Thank you Idaho For Wildlife for all your support. The meeting point in Trout Creek will be posted at a later date. Get those rifles sighted in and those traps boiled!!"

Buzz, you are absolutely right. I request Public Comments all the time to see what is going on with various subjects, who the participants are. I am always saddened by lack of public comments. I requested the public comments submitted on this last elk management in areas with brucellosis work plan passed in Nov. According to what FWP sent me that they presented to the commissioners, there were precious little comments objecting to a liberal work plan to whack elk for political reasons - privatized hunting on ranches really. So how many of those claiming to kill these wolves because "their killing our elk" commented?

Of course I submitted a detailed comment. Laurel Rod and Gun Club commented, as they have been. RMEF commented, though not as strongly as I would have hoped. Skyline and Anaconda Sportsmen commented through their attorney, but they are no longer pursuing that as their attorney advised them. There were about 4 men from Montana that spoke against it, two out of state landowners that have property in Paradise Valley (one of which I know) that wrote against it and the few others were in support, the Paradise Valley work group members. That is it.

How long does it take to write a short email to protect our elk from bs politics? I have spent every business day on the phone since Christmas, trying to secure an attorney for our elk, hoping to sound coherent from a concussion, explaining, one after another, what is about to happen to the elk. FWP and the FWP Commission have violated the law that requires an EIS and Environmental Review - plain and simple. No one is interested. It is not politically convenient. It is not the fed that is profitable to sue. I did have an offer to sue APHIS. I have spent 3 years to protect these elk. Perhaps it is the pain and exhaustion from the concussion, but I am just about to the point that if the sportsmen of Montana dont give a shit, then they deserve to lose the elk, but it will not be from my lack of trying - it will be from their f*cking politics and apathy.

10898086_416527901830015_5770526775655784407_n.jpg

It should be a rule in this contest that you can only shoot one if he's making the same face that the ones in the poster are. Them's the dangerous ones. :)

Also I noticed that dead critters are due in by 6 pm each day. You're not giving much leeway for the guy that hikes in several miles and shoots his wolf right at dark. He'll never get back to the bar in time to check it in.

Last edited:
Katqanna this is great news :):)

What is your thought on making a thread with contact info for making comments and posting the issues to be commented on. I myself check FWP'S web site daily. They use to send the news letter but they quit sending it for what ever reason.

Spot on, if we don't voice are concerns we have no right to complain.

Hunters may not always be informed enough on some issues to comment. If I'm going to comment I need to know both sides of the issue and make a logical decision. I wouldn't comment on someone else's opinion. It's kinda like voting if there is an issue on a ballot that I'm not familiar with I won't vote on it. Most hunters are not involved on a daily basis. Maybe there should be better out reach to them.

Katqanna this is great news :):)

What is your thought on making a thread with contact info for making comments and posting the issues to be commented on. I myself check FWP'S web site daily. They use to send the news letter but they quit sending it for what ever reason.

Spot on, if we don't voice are concerns we have no right to complain.

Robert, seeing what was going on during the last legislative session I brainstormed with some other hunters and decided to see if we could do something about this. So I set up a section at the website for the political end of things here in Montana. The Wilks fencing issue kind of hijacked the time I was putting into this section (the fencing is important and needs to be done). During this concussion, I couldnt use creative right brain much, so I was limited to left side data entry once I could focus and type. Not complaining, just explaining why I am behind schedule.

I got the Legislator Contact page set up. A person can click the link to find out who their legislators are. The table is set up by district. The text is regular so that you can copy and paste it for addressing, and the email links will automatically open up your email program addressed to the recipient. I also created 2 links to the senate fish & game and house fish, wildlife & parks committees which handle the bulk of wildlife bills. Those links will also open your email program with all of the committee members already addressed. I just got this page finished yesterday. I need to get Daines and Zinkes new info to put up.

I have a page set up for Bill Watch. It would be difficult for one person to watch all bills, so I sent out on my newsletter list yesterday with a request for people to email and alert me with their concerns/points on bills. I will put each bill dealing with wildlife, habitat and access in the table, with a link to the text and a popup of points.

I have a alot of people that contact me about techie stuff, all the time. This summer, after reading E-Myth, which another hunter suggested, it got me to thinking about certain components of conservation here in Montana, how it is basically in the hands of groups/organizations and the average person doesnt know all the ins and outs, the available tools, databases, etc. and is not necessarily represented by a group or organization on an issue or at all. So I brainstormed with some of these other hunters, got some hardware and software purchased from the contributions that came in and am starting the Conservation Digital Citizenship section. This will step by step show people how to utilize whats available to them so they can become more active, capable, then confident to do more. Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. I want to teach the individual sportsmen how to fish and hunt digitally, literally putting the "Public" back in the "Public Trust". I hope to get the first video up in the next week or 2, depending on what I can do about the elk and an attorney before the 12th dealine.

A number of us have been frustrated and so far, these are some of the ideas we have been coming up with to try and make a difference, yet make it easy enough that someone will actually do it. I try to network public comments due here, on the site/blog, through the newsletter, facebook (sucks and is dying anyway because of their new metrics) and occasionally on Montana Reddit, but some ag guys became moderators there and my conservation posts get blocked now.

These are just some of my thoughts and frustrations.

Great to see the hunt is back on. If I lived anywhere near there I would definately get in on this hunt.

This:

Hunters seem to pick some curious issues to be passionate about. Too bad they are rarely the issues that will really make a difference in protecting our heritage for future generations.

& this x 1000:

As a resident of the metropolis of Trout Creek, I must have been living under a rock. I didn't know there was a big event planned. Sorry to be so jaded but this wasn't about killing predators. This was about getting some business into the restaurant and bar. It's not like they would have killed anything anyway. The only guys out there with any regularity right now are cat hunters. We don't have many coyotes anyway and after driving all the convenient roads I'm sure 90% of the hunters would have returned to quaff beers and moan the demise of the elk herd at the fangs of the dreaded wolf. I wonder if Toby was invited?

I wonder if there's a minivan prize for the dude who tells the biggest lie about what they saw and what died? ;)

I predict:
1) Zero Wolves Killed
2) $10-20k raised by wolf advocates so they can "protect the wolves from this grave threat to their existence" (or similar words).
3) I will continue to roll my eyes at the antics of both sides, but not puke quite yet.

Good luck with your hunt boys... you might as well include a check to the Sierra Club with your application.

I predict:
1) Zero Wolves Killed
2) $10-20k raised by wolf advocates so they can "protect the wolves from this grave threat to their existence" (or similar words).
3) I will continue to roll my eyes at the antics of both sides, but not puke quite yet.

Good luck with your hunt boys... you might as well include a check to the Sierra Club with your application.

This^^^^^^^^

I doubt many coyotes will be taken in that county. You can't sneak up on them in snowmobiles.

Shoots-Strait being you are so close to the big hole valley have you ever stopped in Wisdom or Wise River and see the pictures of the snow plains with the coyotes the old timers shot, it's prety impressive. The snow plain was a western version of an air boat. They don't use them any more but they don't get that much snow any more. I can remember some winters the snow covered the jack fences.

Shoots-Strait being you are so close to the big hole valley have you ever stopped in Wisdom or Wise River and see the pictures of the snow plains with the coyotes the old timers shot, it's prety impressive. The snow plain was a western version of an air boat. They don't use them any more but they don't get that much snow any more. I can remember some winters the snow covered the jack fences.

Dude, (makes me feel younger) I'm so old I saw those planes in action. Problem was with the breaking mechanism. They crashed a bunch. Coyotes eat lot of mice in the Big Hole Valley. When pelts were high in the 70's some large land owners stopped all coyote hunting on their lands because the mice were getting out of hand.

I just shudder at these events. The poster is ridiculous, as are the insinuations by Idaho For Wildlife that hunting predators is a good old 'Merican right under the Constitution.

Hunting is a privilege that can and will be altered through citizen's initiatives, for better or worse. These events, as already pointed out, are a cash cow for anti-hunting groups. I see no benefit in them, and worlds of damage done to the perception of hunting.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnbighunter
Back