MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Coyote problems

Pagosa

We have multiple packs of coyotes hunting around our property, and I'm worried about them killing my coonhounds. Does anyone have any recommended methods for hunting/calling coyotes? I'm in the Flathead valley, so I don't want to trap to avoid catching pets. I have a smaller electronic call, but last winter I didn't have any luck calling. Thanks - Preston

If you want to try calling them right now is a very good time. The pups are starting out on their own and should be uneducated to the call. A young female howl or pup yips followed by some pup in distress should do the trick. Just remember to play the wind cuz you cant fool their nose. Good Luck

Not Charlo, but up by Columbia Falls. Thanks for the calling tips. I don't know if the smoke/drought has effected the animals, but a cow/calf moose, a bear, and a lion have been seen by river east of the airport.

Not Charlo, but up by Columbia Falls. Thanks for the calling tips. I don't know if the smoke/drought has effected the animals, but a cow/calf moose, a bear, and a lion have been seen by river east of the airport.

I saw 2 raghorns within the Kalispell city limits this morning :eek:

I'm sure there is someone in that valley that knows their way around a call who could help you out. Otherwise you'll have to learn the ways of a coyote and try to out smart them. They will teach you a lot and those skills definitely translate into the hunting of other game.

We tried calling at daybreak this morning but heard no howling. I hope they have left. Thanks for the help.

Get a bull lurcher to run with your hounds. They can handle yote on its own and they will keep up with your hounds all day.

Pagosa, I have run hounds and curs right thru coyotes for over 40 years and never had a coyote harm one. Don't worry about them. As far as killing the coyotes, I would highly recomend following Psinclair's suggestion to the letter if you want them dead. Good luck.

Pagosa, I have run hounds and curs right thru coyotes for over 40 years and never had a coyote harm one. Don't worry about them. As far as killing the coyotes, I would highly recomend following Psinclair's suggestion to the letter if you want them dead. Good luck.
Only one time growing up did we have trouble with a coyote, but we were running beagles. Not exactly a large breed.

Does psinclair know anything about how to kill a coyote? ;)

I think he's worried about them luring one of his dogs away, which is a little different than running through yotes while your dogs are on scent.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back