MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Cow call.

williaada

Would like to know what type of cow call people are using? I am new to calling as well. Thanks

fool proof: Hoochie Mama
Most often: primos hyper lip
or a diaphram

or even better, all of them!

Rocky Mountain (yellow mostly for cows) as well as a custom acrylic made by McClain Dietrich custom calls, and if you’ve never heard of him it’s probably because he makes duck calls but he made me a one of that is a game changer.. last year I called a bull in to a trailhead parking lot w it.. lol..

Last edited:
I only have diaphragm calls. Takes a bit of practice but not too bad once you have figured it out. Commuting to/from work is a good time to practice. I tried Phelps, RMHC, and Primos and like Phelps the most. Currently have Phelps in a few different colors.

I have gone from diaphrams to bite calls & open reeds. Have half a dozen and use 2 or 3. Consistant with results. Variable with results.

I only have diaphragm calls. Takes a bit of practice but not too bad once you have figured it out. Commuting to/from work is a good time to practice. I tried Phelps, RMHC, and Primos and like Phelps the most. Currently have Phelps in a few different colors.

Picked up a few Phelps calls (black, gray, pink). Very impressed.

Easy diaphragm call for beginners, IMO, mellow yellow by Rocky Mountain.

I use Rocky Mountain open reed cow calls and bugle tubs. The top of my mouth has a really high and narrow pitch so I can't get a good seal. I can make sound with diaphram calls but not good enough to fool an elk any. With the open reeds, I have gotten good enough with them that when I tape myself and compare that with real elk in the rut in Rocky Mountain National Park, they come pretty close. I also used an open reed bugle tube to call in a bull in my 40s. Not sure who made it back then as I no longer have it and bout it at Gart Brothers back when they sold hunting gear and guns. I got a bull to shred oak brush under the tree I was in so it has to be pretty dang close.

I have tried a few and agree phelps was the easiest to use and get tuned in on to making good sounds. Only problem I had was that after a month of practicing with it each day to work, the latex blew out on me. Didn't last that long :( it was an amp black

I have tried a few and agree phelps was the easiest to use and get tuned in on to making good sounds. Only problem I had was that after a month of practicing with it each day to work, the latex blew out on me. Didn't last that long :( it was an amp black

Did they get left in the hot car all day? I remember Jason Phelps on a podcast saying that is not good for the calls. Storing in the fridge is best.

Hoochie mama called more elk in last year then you would prob care to know. Dont leave home with out her..

Did they get left in the hot car all day? I remember Jason Phelps on a podcast saying that is not good for the calls. Storing in the fridge is best.
That was my thought too. Yes, they were left in the car where temps were probably 80-100 during the day. However, I had my Carlton in the same case in the truck, its been there all summer and it still works just fine. The latex actually ripped so not sure that would be heat related, could be though. There is no doubt that the latex of the AMP Black Phelps is drastically thinner than the Carltons I have. So maybe I just put too much pressure on them when I call.

I have a Primos Imakadabulls Crazy open reed. It's a dumb name, but works well and lets you play with tone and volume a lot better than the bite and blows.

That being said, diaphragms are the way to go if you can learn to use them. I have tried probably a dozen over the years and had limited success. However, last fall I tried the Phelps AMP calls and love them. I think diaphragm fit is more important than the brand. The AMPs work for me and I doubt I'll use anything else. Not saying they are the final word, they just work for me. All of that to say is you will be happier if you learn to use a diaphragm and that might requiring several brands/types.

Mostly diaphragms for me. I like Phelps pink, grey and green for cow calls. Bugling Bull/Rocky Mountain's Mellow Yellow is another good one.

Occasionally I'll pull out the Primos Hyper Lip Single when I want to go with a louder external call.

That was my thought too. Yes, they were left in the car where temps were probably 80-100 during the day. However, I had my Carlton in the same case in the truck, its been there all summer and it still works just fine. The latex actually ripped so not sure that would be heat related, could be though. There is no doubt that the latex of the AMP Black Phelps is drastically thinner than the Carltons I have. So maybe I just put too much pressure on them when I call.

Yeah, I typically don't care for them to well and it doesn't seem like they last that long. Had a similar experience with a couple of the RMHC I tried. Worked well for a while and then got worn out. The only thing I do is rotate through several while practicing so they have a chance to dry out. Maybe I will have to try some Carltons next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back