Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Cost of maintaining a horse.

There’s no free lunch. Horses open up a great deal of country, but create a great deal of work.

Shoeing, training and conditioning, vaccinations, health certificates, brand inspections, trailer maintenance, tack maintenance, hauling hay, etc.

Then you have the added work in the backcountry. Grazing, first aid, high lines, lost horses, thrown shoes.

I’ve had some great hunts because of horses and a few pretty miserable and forgettable hunts because of horses. It’s a lot of work, and whether it’s worth it is entirely to the individual.

At times I really miss having them, and other times not at all. If you can’t ride them regularly and take them to the mountains more than once a year, odds are pretty high the juice won’t be worth the squeeze.

Sorry guys, you got me all wound up talking about horses, --color me gone--and my apologizes for posting so much on one thread

Europe, don't ever apologize for your postings. You have led a very interesting life and have a lot of incredibly valuable experiences to share. I love reading what you write.

If you can’t ride them regularly and take them to the mountains more than once a year, odds are pretty high the juice won’t be worth the squeeze.
This... ^^^^

I was raised with horses as a kid. Worked at a couple lodges as a pseudo "wrangler" in Wyoming a few years. Worked with the Forest Service in WY Wilderness doing 8 day/night treks, 4 days off over and over for a couple years.
Continued with owning a couple horses a few years... Then went dormant from horses.

I jumped back in the saddle about 20 years since the last time listed above. I think I'm just an old-er fuddy duddy with family obligations, career activity, member of this and that and time for my horses are not the priority I felt I would make available.

Going into my third summer with these horses (3)... Spent a snot ton of $ and time and I've come to the decision I'm no longer the horse young buck I used to be. I've not ridden them but maybe 6 X's last year.

Horses are dependant on frequent repetition and my family's time is more important elsewhere. Our daughter is at camps more than time at home with horses, wife has obligations elsewhere and same with myself.

Time. One must have time and money OR a chit ton more money for stable hand(s) to put in the time.

Then there's the corrals, pasture fence and ground upkeep, vet bills, ferrier service, hay, supplements, tack (saddles, etc)

In a nutshell, one must make time, must have $ and must exude confidence to have the basics for owning / operating a quality setting to enjoy horses... Just to ride in the Wilderness for a couple fishing and (or) hunting trips each year is not worth my family's time.

So this spring/summer I'll sell the gooseneck 4 horse trailer, some 35+ portable rail fence panels, and tack etc, etc, etc... I don't have a fraction of the time...

Not worth it.

To add responses to specific Q's you asked:
1. Boarding one horse monthly: 250 + (pasture) 350 + for corral / paddock setting. That's base charge in my area.
2. Misc fees annually (farrier/vet). Vet, maybe 300-600, farrier shoeing/care 300-600.
3. Misc tack: endless $. Subjective opinions.
4. You'll need a trailer, truck safe to pull the horse and trailer.

Then there is that big TIME factor. Must ride the horse.
And to finish it off, one horse will not do for solo backcountry horse activity unless you're 90 #'s, on a 16hh 1200+# horse. The gear and trail clearing toolsto secure the one horse is enough in itself without speaking of your own gear. I'm, if planning solo on horse backcountry, you can do it though I make every effort to ride with at least one other rider... That runs 3-4 horses to make a basic wilderness trek. Then, you get game down... And prep for trail clearing, etc

For me, not a chance solo hunt on horse overnight in the backcountry. First, weight alone make this impractical.

Last edited:
I like how Nate Simmons does it, hiring packers. I've never looked into it, but I'm guessing the going rate is $500-$1000, in areas that it's allowed.

That's peanuts compared to ownership. Freedom to maybe even hunt some places in deep that otherwise wouldn't be ethical.

I guess I will be the odd man out here but I find it pretty cheap to own a horse. It actually costs me about the same to feed 2 dogs as it does to care for my horse.

I have a Tennessee Walker I use to work and hunt my pointing dogs.
Trailer $6500 CAD
Saddle $1000 CAD
Assorted Tack $300

So start up is quiet high. I could have gone with a cheaper trailer but with it being my first one I didn’t want to mess around and bought a reliable one.

I board my horse on pasture, found a guy who was also into pointing dogs, has a stocked trout pond, all the gophers I can shoot, and enough room to shoot my bow or rifle. $150 CAD a month if they are feeding hay, $100 when off. Pretty sweet gig and I make sure never to lapse on payment!

I use a trimmer instead of a farrier and boot my horses if I got to rocky terrain or am riding gravel. He charges $55 CAD a trim which in the summer is monthly and winter every 8-10 weeks. Boots are about $200 CAD a set. So far I’m lucky and haven’t needed a vet, my vet costs a year are a check up and coggins if I am traveling across the border; that is about $150 CAD. I know in the USA a lot of states have a law that want a coggins done to cross state lines.

I’m also lucky with my horse I can jump on his after a year off and not worry about a wild ride. Yes there is a big difference between his manners in October after riding all year than in March when he is fresh but there is no buck or bark.

Now for the biggest cost, purchase price. I’m not sure what a pack horse is worth but for what I do a reliable horse is about $5000 CAD. Well worth the price for a sane, reliable horse. Horses are big and if something goes wrong it usually doesn’t go well for the person. Also consider they are herd animals, you will want more than one or some sort of other companion. If you want something just to pack I would agree with an earlier poster and say get a few pack llamas, or better yet just rent them. Yearly cost would be the same and you don’t have to worry about them 9 months of the year.

I have been around horses & mules & such most of my life. I have worked on a horse ranch & with packers. Even worked @ Santa Anita one summer as a hotwalker.
In the last 5 years I have been offered several fine horses ,free. I declined.
I have never owned one myself. They are just to costly for me & how I have lived. I even have the land & such for one or two. One vet bill would kill me.

I like my pack goats! Easy to maintain, cheap to buy. For the 8 I have it’s usually 1 1/2 tons of hay a winter, eat grass and weeds all summer, I don’t need to bring food when packing, they browse as I hike. Not scared of blood/carcass/carrying meat, hooves are easily trimmed, no need to hire someone. Easily cared for in the backcountry! There a great family pet, etc. the only negative I have about a goat is once in awhile you will get one that’s not friendly and wants to head butt people, but with a few flips that is usually cured.
Matt
11C667BC-BB58-4AD3-8CF2-9FC05958AA34.jpeg

Europe,Hope you will be here in the fall,because i is already in h high 80's.
next week low 90's.:cool:

Europe, You aspire the members to make good posts.

I wish I could give you a hug. A cyber hug just doesn't cut it!

dirt clod---that will be the hard part for sure as the temp here ranges from 60 to 80---365 days a year

bobby dean ---thank you kind sir. Your mother and grandmother are fortunate to have you. If and when I get back to Arizona, we wont be far away from each other. Maybe I will take a train over ( I dont drive anymore ) and we can attend your wonderful hot air ballon festival together. I really enjoy the hot air ballon rides--well mainly the wine, but the rides also lol

in defense of the horse

This thread seems to have gone from "should I buy a horse?" to "Horses are expensive, time consuming, terrible things to own"

And you would be correct on two of those points.,

When you decided to ask your wife to marry you, did you realize the time she would take and the money you would spend on her, starting with the engagement ring.

When you and your wife decided to have children, did you realize the time and money they would cost ?

When you decided to get another rifle and/or shotgun, are there any overlaps of calibers or more simply asked---could you hunt varmints with a 22-250, all North America big game animals with a 30-06--and birds with a 12 gauge shotgun or do any of you have more than three long guns ?

Go back and look at the hobbies thread. I for one certainly did not need a muscle car for drag racing or a sailboat, to live a full and good life--but I wanted them and I have zero regrets---albeit, I will never be able to sell the sailboat for what I have in it.

But I enjoyed it, just like I enjoyed our horses. Expensive, without a doubt, time consuming, most definitely, a lot of extra work on a trail ride and /or hunting trip--yes! but when my husband and I were riding deep into the Bitterroot, Rocky Mountain , Grand Mesa, Grand Canyon, (parks ) plus others----------it was beautiful---------- and the memories will be forever in my heart and on my mind .

If I was younger and could still ride, would I have a horse--yes!

Last edited:
in defense of the horse

This thread seems to have gone from "should I buy a horse?" to "Horses are expensive, time consuming, terrible things to own"

And you would be correct on two of those points.,

When you decided to ask your wife to marry you, did you realize the time she would take and the money you would spend on her, starting with the engagement ring.

When you and your wife decided to have children, did you realize the time and money they would cost ?

When you decided to get another rifle and/or shotgun, are there any overlaps of calibers or more simply asked---could you hunt varmints with a 22-250, all North America big game animals with a 30-06--and birds with a 12 gauge shotgun or do any of you have more than three long guns ?

Go back and look at the hobbies thread. I for one certainly did not need a muscle car for drag racing or a sailboat, to live a full and good life--but I wanted them and I have zero regrets---albeit, I will never be able to sell the sailboat for what I have in it.

But I enjoyed it, just like I enjoyed our horses. Expensive, without a doubt, time consuming, most definitely, a lot of extra work on a trail ride and /or hunting trip--yes! but when my husband and I were riding deep into the Bitterroot, Rocky Mountain , Grand Mesa, Grand Canyon, (parks ) plus others----------it was beautiful---------- and the memories will be forever in my heart and on my mind .

Very salient points. In a way, asking if one should buy a horse, get a hunting dog, get married, have kids, etc. are all pretty loaded questions.

They all come with the caveat of "it depends". If you enjoy horses, and like working with them, and have the personality to make them behave like they should, you're much more likely to enjoy owning horses.

I would never in a million years send my dog (or horses for that matter) to a professional trainer. I'd rather learn how to do it myself. As such, the training and development in and of itself provides enjoyment and reward. There was a great deal of pride and satisfaction taking weeklong trips through the Bob Marshall with four horses that I had trained. I could ride or pack any of them, and would routinely switch them out each day just for a change of pace.

Not everything is dollars and cents. How much is your time worth, do you enjoy it, and are there other things you would rather do? I can't fathom dropping 2-3k bucks for dog training, or 3-4k for buying a finished dog. Other folks think people like me are nuts for buying a puppy and spending 2-3 years training it into a finished dog.

It all depends on where you find your rewards and satisfaction.

Back in the 60's we figured $3.00 a day and that was with our own ground.
I would consider nothing short of $10.00 a day probably higher. Don't figure a monthly fee figure daily cost.
And everyone seems to think they have a direct bloodline to Man O' War.
Would love to have horses again but don't think that will ever happen they cost too much and no one uses them to their full potential.

My good friend, that has several horses, always says, "There are two kinds of horse people, those that have been hurt and those that are gonna get hurt."

ClearCreek

My good friend, that has several horses, always says, "There are two kinds of horse people, those that have been hurt and those that are gonna get hurt."

ClearCreek

This scares me the most about horses. I worked for an equine veterinarian when I was in high school. I saw some very dangerous situations go down with injured and scared animals. If things go sideways in the slightest you have an irrational 1,000 lb flailing hunk of muscle and bone on your hands.

Every older vet at this place had a limp or some hardware from getting kicked or rolled over or some other nasty situation. The younger guys knew what was coming. I watched a horse try to turn and kick at one of the senior vets at the time and the vet reared back and kicked the horse in the belly as hard as he could (with cowboy boots on). It was around that time I realized this wasn't for me.

I'll put somebody else's horses to good work for a fee instead.

I grew up with horses-mucking stalls, feeding before school, roping and working cattle, shoeing-I don't have them anymore, my folks still have a couple, I love horses...but I REALLY love other people's horses, the ones that go home with them at the end of the day and not with me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back