PEAX Equipment

Cost of maintaining a horse.

I grew up with horses-mucking stalls, feeding before school, roping and working cattle, shoeing-I don't have them anymore, my folks still have a couple, I love horses...but I REALLY love other people's horses, the ones that go home with them at the end of the day and not with me!
This is where I'm at. Always had horses for the first part of my life. I miss them sometimes. Still have my saddle and all my other tack. I do have good friends with stock I can call on if needed. Nothing like a good horse with a dead elk on the ground. mtmuley

You can rent horses also. I have always kept horses and mules. The cost isn’t much I just have to pay for food. If a vet bill is more than $1000. I’m getting a new animal. I don’t spend much on vets and when I do it’s usually related to breeding expenses. I shoe my own. So maybe I’m not the best person to ask how much it costs. Buttery bring me slit of joy and I use them all the time not just for hunting

Last edited:
BrentD, NRHunter, Mthunter, ----in rebuttal

An 18 year old Gelding is very mature for its age

Horses dont complain if you feed them the same thing morning, noon and night

Horses dont talk back, argue, complain, or explain to you in a condescending manner

Your dad trusts a 1000 pound horse more than a 200 pound boy

A horse doesn't stare at your chest when your talking to them

Mine stare at my right-hand pocket. :)

Rusty is very much a back talker. Gandur is the strong, silent type. :)

Attachments

• DSCF1704.JPG
    DSCF1704.JPG
    476.7 KB · Views: 1
I love my horses, but they are really big golden retrievers in disguise. :)

I think I'm going to teach Rusty to retrieve ducks this fall... ;)

I love my horses, but they are really big golden retrievers in disguise. :)

I think I'm going to teach Rusty to retrieve ducks this fall... ;)

LOL love it----but

I am afraid our Burns and Allen routine brought this thread to a stand still ( actually few here will even know who burns and allen are )

I am off-- but wanted to wish you the best in training Rusty

Not trying to hijack the thread. I have a delightful fox terrior that has a abcess in her upper jaw. Made a appointment with the vet today and asked about cost of putting her under sedation. After exam, they could give me a ball park. She is the love of my life, sleeps in my arms and her son sleeps in my wife's arms. Yes, I love dogs. I think I am going to spend a fortune.

Not faulting the vets. Been with them and the newer vets for 30 years. It has got expensive!

It looks like all of your questions have been answered by knowledgeable people.
One thing I might add is that riding a good horse through the mountains is a different experience than doing it without a horse. It is much akin to walking a ditch bank alone vs with a good dog. You are not alone and are sharing an experience. While I often prefer to be away from other people I seldom need to be alone.

Horses are spendy no matter what you do. My wife grew up on a ranch and now works for an equine hospital as the anesthesiologist so we of course have to have horses. If she didn't work at a vet clinic there is no chance I'd own one. They are really cool animals with a ton of personality, but they are a great expense. We are able to keep ours at home, and between hay, shoes, and everyday maintenance I'd say each horse probably averages close to $200 a month. Now, if they get sick or injured it goes up exponentially. Last year one of our horses had stifle surgery, and this weekend the same horse had an emergency colic surgery. If I averaged the monthly cost of that horse including those two surgeries I'm sure it's closer to $750-800 a month. One thing my wife has told me is roughly 80% of horses have very few problems. She swears the other 20% are constantly in and out of the hospital for random injuries/illness.

I didn't read through this whole thread, but I'd rent llama's or find a friend that already has horses!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back