Corned Brine Recipe?

I have one that I use every year and it turns out awesome. Need to check in my recipe book at home and then I can get you a link to it. Will try to do that tonight. It is super simple and turns out great.

Recipe Link: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/corned-venison/

I think that is the recipe as it looks exactly like the ingredients and steps, but let me double check.

This is the one I use but I cut out the brown sugar as it makes it to sweet for me. Other than that it's great. I've got an elk chuck that will be taking the dip in a few weeks to be ready for st. Patrick's day.

All of the corned meat I have made were frozen. I let it thaw in ref for a couple days before starting the corning process.

I brined and smoked a couple big venison roasts this weekend to make pastrami. From what I gather the brining process gives you corned, then the dry rub and smoke makes it pastrami. Wow is it good! Used the recipe out of the book Charcuterie.

Saint Patty's Day a local service organization hosted the most successful ever scholarship raising dinner featuring corned elk / bison with potatoes, carrots, cabbage, the usual fare. I had brined over sixty pounds of venison using the recipe shown below. I am pleased to say it was all devoured and touted as the best ever in taste. This proved to be a delicious and fairly easy to expand recipe.

CORNED VENISON (5 lbs)
2 cups water for spice 4 1/2 teaspoons pickling spice
6 tablespoons sugar-based curing 1 tablespoon garlic powder
mixture (Morton Tender Quick) 1 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup brown sugar 6 cups cold water
5 pounds venison roast

1. Bring 2 cups water to boil in saucepan. Stir in curing mixture, brown sugar, pickling spice, garlic powder, and sea salt; dissolve and remove from heat. Pour 6 cups cold water into two gallon container; stir in spice mixture. Place venison into brine, cover, refrigerate.
2. Leave venison in refrigerator to brine for 5 days, turning the venison each day.
3. To cook, rinse meat well, place into large pot and cover with water. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, simmer for 4 hours. Remove venison from pot, allow to rest for 30 minutes before slicing.

I concur with SMB. This recipe is the best I have ever made. Had some for lunch today.

I brined two smaller roasts. One about 1.75 and the other about 3 lbs. Brined them for ~ 6 days. Rinsed and simmered in plain water. Last hour of simmer, I threw in the cabbage. Topped cabbage with a pat of butter. Maybe didn't need to, but I blame my mother's farm upbringing. Good eats for St Patricks Day.

http://honest-food.net/2015/01/12/corned-venison-recipe/

Finally got to try this and it was awesome! One question for any you accomplished cooks. Mine was simmered for 4 hours and fell apart when sliced. It was a young doe. I also thought it was a bit dry as deer roast often are. Do you guys adjust the cook time to keep it from falling apart? Also is there any secrets to keep it from being too dry? Regardless, I will do this again but probably for reubens if it comes out too dry again. I'm getting hungry while I write this.

Finally got to try this and it was awesome! One question for any you accomplished cooks. Mine was simmered for 4 hours and fell apart when sliced. It was a young doe. I also thought it was a bit dry as deer roast often are. Do you guys adjust the cook time to keep it from falling apart? Also is there any secrets to keep it from being too dry? Regardless, I will do this again but probably for reubens if it comes out too dry again. I'm getting hungry while I write this.

I cool mine in a covered dish at room temp with some of the liquid in the bottom. It seems to keep it a bit more moist.

I just simmered a big corned elk roast yesterday and had reubens for dinner last night. Amazing as always. I also smoked some elk pastrami after putting the dry rub on some corned elk brisket. The flavor was absolutely amazing but elk brisket is a pretty tough cut of meat. Pretty chewy and thin. Next time I will use a top or bottom round roast.

Not corned venison, but it's close cousin. Made a batch of antelope pastrami this weekend. It turned out great. It's gonna be tough to go back to store bought pastrami.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 234
Holy cow, you willing to share the recipe on that?

If you're not making venison pastrami, you really don't know what you're missing. Can't wait to try it on a big elk roast. :D

I made my first attempt at venison pastrami this weekend. I corned a bottom round, covered it with a pepper rub, smoked it cold for about 6 hours then baked it at 200 for about three hours. It might be my favorite venison preparation yet. Right up there with Rinella's osso buco recipe. Four of ate the the whole roast of a large buck in one round of Rubens.

I have the original book in a box someplace,the best meat curing book I have,....moving in this winter to new digs and it will be nice to have my books on the case.
I have 2 elk to experiment on now.And neighbor has a brand new smoker to try out some pastrami and jerky.
Spice Hunter lady was a friend of the ex,wonder if I can get some sent? She owes me for a riasta of chili...

Last edited:
Randy, I am doing this to some of the larger cuts on white tail does hindquarters. I also forked it alot for the brine to saturate the meat better and made sure that the pieces werent too deep as one of the hunting site recipes pointed out, which makes sense for surface contact - preservation.

pabearhunter, thanks for mentioning the plate, I forgot to add that for weight.

Use a Cajun injector to inject the brine deep into the thickest part of your meat, it makes the brining process a lot faster. Way better than a fork could do.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back