Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

CORN 2020 Colorado/Wyoming season

Day 6 (where it gets fun):

Both buck tags filled, my buddy and I decide to enjoy our hotel's full service breakfast. We're midway through french toast and bacon when a server walks up to us, looking sheepishly at our camo and says in somewhat broken English, "It's weird how much meat there is on the street this morning."

My buddy and I "...what??"

Server: "all the big piece of animal on the street are very odd."

My heart skips a beat and I run out on the street. Really wish I'd thought to take a picture because the scene in front of me is truly comical in hindsight. Game bags are spread out over two blocks, groups of birds are pecking away at chunks of backstrap, in the park across the street a couple dog owners are fighting dogs on the leash who are furiously barking and straining to get a quarter on the ground. My buddy and I run around trying to collect the quarters and tattered game bags. A lady across the street calls out, "Mister, is this your deer head?" as we carry half devoured deer quarters across the picturesque Aspen street. My buddy runs over to grab his deer head and someone hands him a piece of backstrap, "I was able to get most of this away from my dog."

It's incredibly comical now, but man were we sick to our stomachs in the moment. A bear had made at least 3 trips in and out of my truck bed, ripped open the cooler, and spread quarters, game bags and a head across two blocks and the park across the street. Once we'd collected all the meat we could find, we sheepishly hit the road. Aspen's a pretty hoity toity place, and we were getting some nasty looks.

We cruised around for several hours and glassed from the road, but we were both pretty upset and having a hard time focusing. We decided to hit the road and get home to assess the damage and save what meat we could.

I hunted antelope near Thermopolis. Really liked Worland have considered moving there. But my kids and other family live in Idaho so it seems my wife and I are headed there. I know the bear getting deer thing all to well. While hunting the South fork near Cody Wy, One ate all of mine and half of my buddies. Still dont know how it got to mine. Best I can tell, my buddy lowered mine when he hung his.

Attachments

• 63D890A7-1D71-4A90-8961-D35AEA55AA8E.jpeg
    63D890A7-1D71-4A90-8961-D35AEA55AA8E.jpeg
    550 KB · Views: 21
Here is the bottom half of my buddies

Attachments

• 5698E2F3-3BDD-468E-964C-FA70899A8767.jpeg
    5698E2F3-3BDD-468E-964C-FA70899A8767.jpeg
    245.4 KB · Views: 17
It was wild. We were in a grizzly area. Said so on a sign next to our camp spot. The bear came through camp and rattled the bear box. Then went ip the draw to where the deer were hung.

Loved reading about your adventures. Great job on your hunts. Hoping to got to Wyoming with my son this year.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back