Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

cooking elk steak - help needed

Like this??😁 I’ve made this a handful of times now with elk backstrap and it’s amazing. I sauté diced onions, garlic and jalapeños and then mix it with the cream cheese and stuff it. I usually season inside the pocket a bit also.
View attachment 210981
Never done this with an elk 'strap only because I've only had my hands on two in my lifetime. However, whitetail backstrap cooked like this is phenomenal! Throw that baby in the smoker and bring it up to about 125 degrees then pull it and throw it on a smoking hot grill just long enough to crisp the bacon on the outside. Slap yo mama good!

Instead of butterflying, I like to keep the backstrap in a big chunk,
that way there is more forgiveness in terms of time on the grill.
I like a simple grill with wood coals, brush with olive oil, salt and pepper,
grill with a meat thermometer to rare temperature, then remove
and rest for 15 minutes before carving.
If a guest likes more well-done, serve the end pieces to that person.
View attachment 210759
This is for sure the way to go for cooking backstraps and tenderloins. Another nice benefit of this methods is you can choose to coat the chunk of meat like you do a prime rib - packed with seasoning around the meat. Since there is so much meat between the edges when cut, it's not over powering with each bite. I'll actually rub the meat heavily and than let it sit in the fridge for a day or two to let those seasons partially work their way into the meat. I'll than remove some seasoning from the meat and place on grill.

In addition to the usual season it, grill it med-rare (or sous vide), rest it at least 10 mins..slice thin

I've recently done the meateater gremolata garnish version and that's a real crowd pleaser...using actual microplane to make the gremolata makes a difference

Another excellent garnish version comes from Commanders Palace wild game cookbook...do your normal seasoned medium rare steak prep....create red wine demiglace by mixing Steens Pure Cane Syrup and Red Wine 1:1, then simmer to reduce volume by 50% (takes about 15 mins)....may have to order the Steens syrup online.

Haven't tried bourbon butter garnish yet but it sounds really good

Thanks everyone so much, for the help!

Butterfly roast packed with crumbled bacon, red onion, Gorgonzola, parsley, cracked pepper, and olive oil. Simmer for 40 mins on low until rare, then removed meat, and slice for a quick hot sear. Reduced broth, caramelizing the onions and topped on meat as a gravy. Served with homemade grape jelly, and white wine.
F9C87EA7-64BD-402D-AA12-BE2BD155093C.jpeg7D705BFB-F2D9-4DDC-9B32-0B8CC86BAFAC.jpegB50FA9F0-586C-4D56-8064-F8700CE72BF3.jpeg

I ate too much 😀

Bland meat usually gets the Mexican or Asian treatment here.

Try browning a roast in the morning then straight into a crock pot on low with salt, peppers, paprika, chili powder
A couple hours before dinner take it out, shred it and use to make enchiladas with peppers and red enchilada sauce.

Or take steaks cut them into straps let them sit in teriyaki sauce for the day. Pour it all into a pan and brown on a high setting. Add a pile of different fresh baby vegetables to the pan cook lightly and serve on white rice.(beef rice roni) if you really need to add flavor. Add soy sauce or teriyaki as desired.

No real specific help on seasonings, but I've had excellent results using the sous vide. Perfectly done every time, no more under or over cooking. Very happy with the results.

For steaks I like to use a liberal amount of coarse salt, pepper and garlic. Quick hot sear and then low and slow on a charcoal grill.

If you want something a little more flavorful, check out a seasoning called Chupacabre by 2 gringos. I literally buy that stuff by the gallon. It’s marketed as a dry rub, but I mix it with oil to make a marinade sometimes too. I really like it on eggs and steamed veggies too.

I use a liquid marinade to add flavor, then dry off and rub with olive oil and seasoning before smoking/ Rev sear. Baste with butter while searing, dome and rest before slicing.

For my family, I slice all the meat thin and make au jus with the juice the cuts make while resting.

These steps add flavor if you're needing it...

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back