PEAX Equipment

Controlled Hunt Starts Sunday

idelkhntr

I drew the controlled hunt for my unit and it starts this coming Sunday. I can use any weapon. Yesterday during my scouting, I ran across two nice bucks. The biggest one I would guess to score between 75 and 85. I couldn't get a good look at the mass or prong because he stood there looking at me for ten minutes and never moved. He's tall and wide and looks like a shooter. I'm debating about looking around for a few days to find a bigger one or just go out and sit on this spot until he shows himself again. He has been in this spot consistently for the past month and is with a couple of does. If I do decide to go after him, I am considering trying to sneak in on him and use my bow to start. What do you guys think, go after this guy or look around for a bigger buck? This is my first attempt at pronghorn hunting.

There's a pretty big difference between a 75" and and an 85" pronghorn. That said, 75" is pretty nice, especially for Idaho. If you would be happy with him, go for it.

Only 27 pronghorn from Idaho have made the all time B&C minimum of 82", and only 4 since 2005.

I realize it is a big spread, but like I said he stared straight on and I couldn't get a side view. I also realize the big bucks are extremely rare in Idaho so I can't be too particular. Thanks for your input.

Take the bow and hunt him for as long as you can. If you are running out of time or if other people are hunting him too, or the area, drop him with your rifle (unless you find a bigger one)! 75" is a good buck and if he is bigger, all the better! Let time and pressure dictate. Good luck on your first pronghorn hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back