NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Conservation Groups to Support

mdunc8

So for the first time in my life, I have a zero balance on my credit card. To help build back up my debt, I was thinking about throwing some money towards a couple groups that help conserving the critters I like to chase. I'm more interested in an organization that spends their time conserving habitat and supporting research rather than lobbying for hunting opportunities (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I don't want to give my money to someone else when do it on my own). Since I'm relatively new to the West, I'm not too familiar with most of the conservation groups out here. It seems like guys tend to support the Mule Deer Foundation and RMEF. Any of you guys have some favorites? I'd be interested in hearing about some local Montana chapters where I could lend a hand every once in a while.

Go to the top of this page and click the "Partners" link. Then look at the lower right side;

A few of the "A" list groups from Big Fins list.

Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Mule Deer Foundation
Wild Sheep Foundation
Ducks Unlimited
Pheasants Forever

you can donate to the John Cushman isn't going to be a Colorado resident anymore and will have to pay NR fees from now on foundation. I even take pay pal:D

I'm more interested in an organization that spends their time conserving habitat and supporting research
Though not technically a hunting org, The Nature Conservancy does this in spades IMO/E. IIRC, they have also been instrumental in helping broker some of the big land deals in MT.

I for one am a bit leary of giving much if any money to the two big sheep groups. I'm still a bit peeved at the amount of money that I presume was used up in fighting over the ownership of the phrase "Grand Slam".

If you want be involved in the local Montana scene, think about Public Land and Water Access or PLWA. These guys work hard to keep access to our resources open, their money goes to actually fight access battles...they are "out" of Billings. Also If you're in the Gallatin Valley you could hook up with Headwaters Fish and Game Assoc-local and very grass roots-by and for hunters. .........If you want to really be effective with your money-save it so you can afford the European Model of Wildlife For the Wealthy coming to us soon if our Montana Republican party has its way.......

sorry to jump in again....it's early. Another place to drop money is, I know I know-yuppies-but, Montana Trout Unlimited. They actually have some very good people on their the "lobbying" staff. I quit the Madison Gallatin Chapter years ago-to heavily weighted towards guides and wealthy types. I have considered joining again just because I know they have some good people in positions that can make a difference.

The local Montana groups will do more for you then the national. Not as top heavy, generally volunteers which means no salaries. Your money will stay on the ground right here in Montana. There are quite a few in the state all doing great work in your back yard. No fancy magazines, just hard working guys and gals trying to do whats right. Local groups also are more in touch with local issues. Glad to see ya stepping up, more need to do it.Just my 2 cents.

RMEF, DU, NRA and Pheasants Forever are what I support, and recommend. (my feeling is, I send my money to 'national' organizations to lobby for us, protecting our future, and conservation efforts) Spend your time = which is money and do something local and make a difference as you mention. It is nice you can do both!

Sadly, it is all going away pretty fast. Support, money, habitat, tags, opportunities, public lands, etc etc.

Though not technically a hunting org, The Nature Conservancy does this in spades IMO/E. IIRC, they have also been instrumental in helping broker some of the big land deals in MT.

The Nature Conservancy was running an ad about a year ago that said, "...hunting is the biggest threat to our wildlife..." and then went on to tell people how they should give their land to the nature conservancy so that hunters don't kill all of the game.

They must have had some backlash over it, because now the ad says "poaching" instead of hunting.

I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire. Hunters shouldn't be giving $$ to anti-hunting groups.

Give to RMEF. They do quite a few habitat projects.

The Nature Conservancy was running an ad about a year ago that said, "...hunting is the biggest threat to our wildlife..." and then went on to tell people how they should give their land to the nature conservancy so that hunters don't kill all of the game.

They must have had some backlash over it, because now the ad says "poaching" instead of hunting.

I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire. Hunters shouldn't be giving $$ to anti-hunting groups.

Give to RMEF. They do quite a few habitat projects.

Really? That seems really counter intuitive considering the land they`ve been preserving in Montana, and who they`ve been working with to do so.

Really? That seems really counter intuitive considering the land they`ve been preserving in Montana, and who they`ve been working with to do so.

How does the saying go? Politics makes strange bed-fellows?

The ad airs on am radio every so often. If I'm quick enough, I'll record it next time, although like I said, now it says "poaching" instead of "hunting." About a year ago it said hunting.

The ad airs on am radio every so often. If I'm quick enough, I'll record it next time, although like I said, now it says "poaching" instead of "hunting." About a year ago it said hunting.

I keep hearing that the National Wildlife Ass, is pro wolf, the claim is they have an adopt a wolf campaign. In reality, they have a "Adopt a Wildlife Acre" program. People twist things to suit themselves. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I suppose a local organization probably makes the most sense for a contribution,local as in Montana.As for the N'atl level I appreciate the accomplishments of the National Wild Turkey Federation.NO OTHER organization has the success that the NWTF has had with preservation AND enhancement of turkey populations and the hunting of said birds.They have hands down been more successful than any of the others.Its no accident that turkeys can be hunted in 49 of the 50 states.Thirty years ago this wasn't so.Sure, one always speculates where their money truly goes when donated and it would be more gratifying to know that donated money is utilized in your home state.But still,at a countrywide level this organization has had the most influence and success.

By doing what they`ve done in Western MT, they`ve greatly increased the chances of animals being killed on the land they`re working with. I`d argue that they`ve been helping hunters out a lot more than some sportsman based conservation groups.

Not doubting the commercial you heard, just pointing out that their actions suggest otherwise.

You can hunt TNC properties like the Matador in Central MT, and the Pine Butte Preserve. All of their WY lands are open for hunting and fishing as well.

TNC does quality work.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back