Confused!!

Big Slick

Okay here we go. I've been in Colorado for 10 yrs and I have 9 preference points for antelope. It seems that the drought seems to still be a issue with the DOW. You can go to unit 3 if you have 12 points, maybe. If you go to unit 3,4,5,11,201 you would think you were in WYO. So what's the deal with drawing a tag in these areas. The more antelope the harder it is to get a tag, I'm confused.

The problem is that the CDOW thinks it's best to keep hunters from being crowded and disappointed, so they issue mostly private land only tags for many of those units due to the amount of private property.

In 2009 there were 775 buck tags for units 3/301, but only 100 of them were unit-wide tags (and 15 of those went to landowners as vouchers!:rolleyes:). So out of 775 tags, public land hunters only had a chance of drawing 85 tags. BS if you as me, but nobody has...

Craig area units

If you've spent much time in the NW corner of Colo (near Craig) you will likely notice that about 80% of the antelope in those surrounding units are within about 15 miles of the city limits of Craig. Unfortunately to most hunters the area close to Craig is about 90% private land. Once you get past the 15 mile circumference of Craig there are VERY few antelope ..and it is about 90% public land.

10+ years ago there were gobs of antelope in 2, 3, 301 and other surrounding units on public land. I have a feeling the combination of drought, public land hunting pressure, tough winters, etc are all factors why the antelope tended to move off public land to private land closer to Craig. If you think about it, many of the small acreage lots around Craig have water troughs for horses, cattle, springs, etc that are very few and far between on BLM land. During the droughty years many of the antelope headed to where there was water! There are VERY few water sources available outside the 15 mile Craig radius I mentioned earlier...other than the Yampa River. The same rangeland in Wyo would likely have gobs of antelope because Wyo tends to develop a lot more water sources!

If you head from Craig due east to Steamboat you will likely see a pile of antelope (again on private land) that likely weren't there 10+ years ago. Again,,,,more water...more antelope!

I hope this helps answer your question...there aren't many antelope in the NW corner of Colo on public land..compared to private land.

Jim is right, but it doesn't mean that the DOW has to cater to the landowners. Make the tags unit-wide and let the chips fall where they may. As it is, the DOW has created a seperate draw with the majority of the tags for those who are willing to pay for hunting access.

I am 100% against PLO licenses for males. Just another landowner handout.

Thanks for the insight. A lot of times we ask questions without thinking thinks through. Oak is correct, I can draw a private land antelope buck tag every other year. For now I will have 10 points after this year and waiting to see what happens next. Thanks again guys for the insight!!

I have a buddy that cashed in 15 points to hunt unit 201 and saw 2 bucks the entire week. He shot a smaller buck than I got with my OTC archery tag in unit 135...lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back