Concerned Dad might be wrong?

Nut

Tomorrow the boys go to a wrestling tournement. Well TE told me tonight that since one of his teammates will not be there that he will wrestle in the 167 lb class (This is across the line in Michigan). TE is supposed to be in the 150 lb class here (he wieghed 146 today). My first reaction was anger that he was going against others that will possibly outweigh him by 20 lbs. Then I also realize that he has only had 3 matches at his weight class and 6 at a 160 weight class in Ohio. He is 3-0 with 2 pins in 150 class and 5-1 with 3 pins in the higher class.

But this 20 pound difference worries me and I really do not want him to do it. Besides this is held at a powerhouse school in Michigan and the competition will be tops. Besides the possible injury this could hurt his confidence. Jsut what he needs is a worrisome Dad to be there.

So wish him luck and cross your fingers. I just had to get it out.

Wosst case is He gets Slaughtered in a Class he shouldn't be in... Best case He kicks thier A$$ :) Lighten up dad, Let the boy play............ !!!

Good luck !!

Remind him that he is much quicker and faster than the bigger, slow guy. And then remind him that he has been practicing all of his holds and moves, and that is why he has been winning the other matches.

I know the Dad and Worrying feeling you got. I am coaching Girl-Gunner's B-Ball team, and we have tournament tomorrow (130 miles away) with 3 games. We had our worst practice ever tonight, and had 3 girls crying. At least as the coach, I am allowed to stand up and yell, where you have to sit down at TE's matchs and yell...

Fred, he'll do just fine. Confidence is the key and it sounds lilke he has it! Cheer him on and give him a high five for all of us! GOOD LUCK TURKEY EYE!!!

I know how you feel, Fred. My twin girls were born with bilateral club feet. Both feet on both girls, in other words. They had almost no heel, as their feet were almost upside down and the heels kind of pulled up into their calves. It turned into 16 years of therapy, surgeries and casts. When they were in junior high school, they decided they were going to try out for the dance and drill team at their school, which just happened to be the "almost perennial" state champs. The day of tryouts, I was a wreck. We had never treated the girls as handicapped, and never even had a handicapped parking sticker, even when they were both in wheelchairs at the same time. I was afraid they were not ready to deal with the disappointment. I just knew that I was going to have to come home and console 2 crying, despondent young ladies. I was shocked to find out they had made the team. Candice stuck with it, and went on to compete nationally in cheerleading. Becky changed over to varsity swimming. Yep - I was one proud papa.

Sometimes we have doubts, while our kids, God bless 'em, have all the confidence in the world. Let him rip!

100_1634.jpg

Nut .. Let em rip! He'll be able to use those other guys extra weight against them and be quicker and sharper as long as he doesn't get into a muscle match with them. Use the moves and he'll come out on top. Go TE!!

Good luck at the Tourny Dad.TE should do just fine,it sounds like he has had a great season so far and with a win today it would be awesome for him.

I can remember a lot of cases similar to that, and our coach never put a lighter guy up unless he thought/knew that guy could handle it. IF happens to get in with a top notch guy 20 pounds heavier than him, then may the lord be with him.....but, if he is pretty good and gets against a heavier guy that is average, he should do just fine!! Cant wait to hear more results from his season!
We had a 178 guy that was pretty good and REALLY REALLY strong and also a massachistic crazy son of a bitch! At a home match the other school put a 148er I think it was, Jason Payling (sp. is probably bad, but I still remember that little suckers name 16 years later!). This kid ate Frank alive, made a mockery of him, embarrassed him and they stopped it on points in the second round. It was unreal!!

Good Luck to your son and congrats on raising those girls up to be so confident Cali!

I talked some more with him and he told me that he practices with his fellow classmates that are heavier than him. Yes even a 200 pounder. He says he beats them all the time with speed and technique. So maybe he would have done well.

Like I told my Dad I always get stuck with kids that are 30 to 50lbs hevier then me at practice. also one is as strong as a ox if he new the moves i would be beaten every time and if he was quicker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back