Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Concealed Carry Pistol ???

XDS .45 or the Taurus Millenium Pro .45. I also keep a Cobra .9mm derringer in my pocket, and have a Bersa Thunder .380 that fits in my boots. For hunting and open carry, a full sized Springfield XD .45 or a S&W Sigma .40 if I want to go light weight; and then a Taurus model 66 .357 or Ruger Redhawk .44 mag. if weight isn't going to be a problem. When I'm running the tractor and the lawn tractor, I carry a Hi-Point .9 mm, that I actually dropped and ran over with the harrow. I went back and found it in the field, dropped the mag, slid back the slide and ejected the bullet, knocked the dirt out, blew the dust out, reloaded and it's never misfired or failed to feed!

Thanks for all the suggestions, it is very helpful, I did a search out to 50 miles to see if there is a range in my area that rents guns so my Wife could try some different guns, but there is nothing in my area.
I am leaning toward the Glock 26 or 27 for me.

Thanks
Kevin

You might Google "Michigan Gun Owners"; it's a forum based web site for the every day gun owner. They will have meet and greets as well as shoots on occasion, and might have one in your area. Most gun owners will be happy for you to try out their favorite piece in a range environment. Good luck in your choice.

I use a Springfield XDs .45 Wife uses a Springfield subcompact 9mm but going to possibly get her the XDs in 9.

My one complaint is that I was shooting left no matter what I did. Had to move the rear sight. Now it is very accurate.

Thanks for all the suggestions, it is very helpful, I did a search out to 50 miles to see if there is a range in my area that rents guns so my Wife could try some different guns, but there is nothing in my area.
I am leaning toward the Glock 26 or 27 for me.

Thanks
Kevin

I have the 27 and it feels great in the hand but it is a little thick. If you go that route I'd replace the mag release and possibly the slide release. I cannot consistently drop a mag one handed with the stock release. The slide release is workable but I know some people don't like it. I was trained to manually work the slide versus using the release so it's a non issue for me but you may not like it depending on your hands. Great pistol, though. It's a little snappy so you might get a little worn out the first few times you put some serious rounds through it.

Walther PPK-S. Compact with enough punch and noise to do the job. Besides, if it's good enough for Bond, James Bond, then it's good enough for me.

Wife has: 709 Taurus slim.
709SS.jpg

I carry the glock 23 and backcountry the polymer Taurus judge 2.5"

Wife loves her gun and enjoys shooting it.

Taurus 709

Wife has: 709 Taurus slim.
709SS.jpg

I carry the glock 23 and backcountry the polymer Taurus judge 2.5"

Wife loves her gun and enjoys shooting it.

I looked at the 709 today, nice looking gun, I am going to try to get my Wife to the gun shop this weekend and see what see thinks. it is similar to a Ruger she liked.
Have you had any problems with the 709 ?.

Thanks
Kevin

I looked at the 709 today, nice looking gun, I am going to try to get my Wife to the gun shop this weekend and see what see thinks. it is similar to a Ruger she liked.
Have you had any problems with the 709 ?.

Thanks
Kevin

My wife handled the Ruger SR9c and the Taurus 709 Slim. Both were really nice. She preferred the 709 due to a narrower grip that fit her small hands (5'0"). The price point was secondary though it was nice to pick it up for $100 less.

I thought it a nice LITE conceal carry gun for myself though I was clearly warned - hands off! Anyhow, happy wife, happy life. :)

Tuff to beat the Glock 26 and put the magazine extenders on for two extra rounds. Then try out the Mark Garrity inside the pants leather holster. It wil take you awhile to get one, but well worth the wait!

Amen

My wife handled the Ruger SR9c and the Taurus 709 Slim. Both were really nice. She preferred the 709 due to a narrower grip that fit her small hands (5'0"). The price point was secondary though it was nice to pick it up for $100 less.

I thought it a nice LITE conceal carry gun for myself though I was clearly warned - hands off! Anyhow, happy wife, happy life. :)

Amen on the Happy Wife part. my Wife is about the same size 5'.
when I first looked at that gun, that is what I thought too, I could carry that gun.
does it shoot different types of ammo OK ?.

The Glock 26 or 27 is on top of my list, but I need to check on clip extenders for them.
and I really like the Springfield XDS9

Thanks
Kevin

Last edited:
If you want to carry a Glock 26/27 with the mag extension you may as well carry the 19/23. It gets real close to the same grip length when you add the +2. The grip is what generally matters when it comes to concealment, not the slide length. If you are worried about mag capacity the best thing you can do is throw an extra mag in your pocket or carry a 19 mag for the 26 or a 23 mag for the 27.

Ammo

If you want to carry a Glock 26/27 with the mag extension you may as well carry the 19/23. It gets real close to the same grip length when you add the +2. The grip is what generally matters when it comes to concealment, not the slide length. If you are worried about mag capacity the best thing you can do is throw an extra mag in your pocket or carry a 19 mag for the 26 or a 23 mag for the 27.

I don't care about extra ammo at all, if I can't kill what I am shooting at with 1 or 2 rounds something is wrong.
The extender I looked at just extends the grip, not the clip capacity, so it would fit my hand a little better.
it seems like the length of the gun would make a big difference, as far as comfort goes ?, like if you were sitting or something like that.
But I will check the 19 & 23 out, it is less than 1" difference in length.

Kevin

Last edited:
Slide length and comfort will depend more on the holster that you select. A quality holster will ride high enough that slide length is fairly irrelevant. I have a friend out here, tall guy, but he used to carry a Glock 34 concealed. With the proper holster, not an issue. I carry a G-19. The only time it can get a touch uncomfortable is long car trips 3hrs+ and that is due to how the seats curve to provide lumbar support. I'm far more concerned about the comfort of shooting the firearm, than how comfortable it is to carry.

As far as ammo goes. In my opinion, for a defensive pistol, there is no such thing as too much ammo! Magazine capacity is a factor in a concealed carry choice, for me. Everyone has their own thoughts, but with my G19 I carry 46 rounds on my person in most cases. Sure, call me paranoid. I just don't ever want to feel that I need to conserve ammo if a situation occurs.

This link is an interesting read on why. This happened in 2008. In this incident, an IL SWAT officer put 17 rounds of .45acp into the attacker, before the 3rd headshot ended the fight.
http://www.policemag.com/channel/patrol/articles/2012/02/shots-fired-skokie-illinois-08-25-2008/page/1.aspx

The important part of the read... Shot placement and adrenaline. Not saying that a 9mm Isn't effective, I carry a 9mm. What I'm saying is that we are tough creatures, and I don't want to run dry in a gunfight. Proper first shot placement is important, but lacking that it may take way more firepower than you'd think unrealistic to finish the job.

Practice your Draw, EXTENSIVELY! It takes time to learn to draw from concealment. My goal is to be able to draw from concealment and place two rounds on an 18" square at 25yds in under 2seconds. It takes time to get good at this. Practice under stress. Shoot while having your wife, or another shooting partner yell at you, or trying to make you laugh. It is surprisingly difficult to shoot well under stress. Learn how to draw, shoot and manipulate your firearm under stress. Because I guarantee you this, if you ever have to draw a concealed firearm; you will be stressed.

This is, in my opinion, more important that what you shoot. Just make sure that the firearm you choose is reliable and comfortable to shoot.

And dipshit anti's wonder why people carry
comment from above link...

king oc 4/5/2013 1:33:35 AM
I know him sum time shit get hard.so he did what he had to.to eat u got go there shit ain't. Given to every one.he should of been happy he didn't get out with that sks on his goffy ass.right now I'm wishing he did.cause the trying to make the cop seem like a hero.lol.maddox (the robber) the hero

Holster

Slide length and comfort will depend more on the holster that you select. A quality holster will ride high enough that slide length is fairly irrelevant. I have a friend out here, tall guy, but he used to carry a Glock 34 concealed. With the proper holster, not an issue. I carry a G-19. The only time it can get a touch uncomfortable is long car trips 3hrs+ and that is due to how the seats curve to provide lumbar support. I'm far more concerned about the comfort of shooting the firearm, than how comfortable it is to carry.

As far as ammo goes. In my opinion, for a defensive pistol, there is no such thing as too much ammo! Magazine capacity is a factor in a concealed carry choice, for me. Everyone has their own thoughts, but with my G19 I carry 46 rounds on my person in most cases. Sure, call me paranoid. I just don't ever want to feel that I need to conserve ammo if a situation occurs.

This link is an interesting read on why. This happened in 2008. In this incident, an IL SWAT officer put 17 rounds of .45acp into the attacker, before the 3rd headshot ended the fight.
http://www.policemag.com/channel/patrol/articles/2012/02/shots-fired-skokie-illinois-08-25-2008/page/1.aspx

The important part of the read... Shot placement and adrenaline. Not saying that a 9mm Isn't effective, I carry a 9mm. What I'm saying is that we are tough creatures, and I don't want to run dry in a gunfight. Proper first shot placement is important, but lacking that it may take way more firepower than you'd think unrealistic to finish the job.

Practice your Draw, EXTENSIVELY! It takes time to learn to draw from concealment. My goal is to be able to draw from concealment and place two rounds on an 18" square at 25yds in under 2seconds. It takes time to get good at this. Practice under stress. Shoot while having your wife, or another shooting partner yell at you, or trying to make you laugh. It is surprisingly difficult to shoot well under stress. Learn how to draw, shoot and manipulate your firearm under stress. Because I guarantee you this, if you ever have to draw a concealed firearm; you will be stressed.

This is, in my opinion, more important that what you shoot. Just make sure that the firearm you choose is reliable and comfortable to shoot.

I looked at the Glock 19 & 23 today.
What Holster do you like ?. for the higher ride ?.

Thanks
Kevin

I have the Comptac CTAC Slide. It will fit the 17/19/26/34. That way I can carry either the 19 or 26.

Back