Concealed Carry Pistol ???

Spook, I stand my comment that all semi-autos function in the exact same basic manner, regardless of cosmetics. No hype, no lie, no incorrect terminology.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. There is quite a bit of difference between open Hammer Semi-Auto's and Striker fired Semi-Autos. Not to mention Operating System difs.

Have you ever broken down an Glock and a 1911 and looked at the parts... They entire firing system is different.

Spook, I stand my comment that all semi-autos function in the exact same basic manner, regardless of cosmetics. No hype, no lie, no incorrect terminology.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. There is quite a bit of difference between open Hammer Semi-Auto's and Striker fired Semi-Autos. Not to mention Operating System difs.

Have you ever broken down an Glock and a 1911 and looked at the parts... They entire firing system is different.

You are correct! We should always tell the truth and never perpetrate myths like, ''My Remington 1100 is just like an AR 15''.

Sorry man, I just couldn't resist.:eek:

Do you infer that the shape and color of the AR trips some sort of psychological sear in an erstwhile sane citizen?

Now that you have picked a pistol and it's a semi auto….now all you need to do is decide if you will carry with one in the pipe of not :) Good choice in pistols too. The 9 will be easier to handle than the 40 as well.

Wife's Gun

Now that you have picked a pistol and it's a semi auto….now all you need to do is decide if you will carry with one in the pipe of not :) Good choice in pistols too. The 9 will be easier to handle than the 40 as well.

The S&W MP Shield 9mm will be my Wife's gun, unless she can't handle, and I don't see that happening. once I teach her how to handle it, and she gets comfortable with it, then she will take the Concealed Carry Class.
Her plan is to get one of the conceal carry over the shoulder purses for now. and she will carry it with one in the pipe. in my opinion if you are going to carry a unloaded gun you may as well leave it home.

I just haven't made a final decision yet for me, I like the S&W too, along with the Springfield XDS, but I love a Glock. they always go Bang.

Kevin

Her plan is to get one of the conceal carry over the shoulder purses for now. and she will carry it with one in the pipe. in my opinion if you are going to carry a unloaded gun you may as well leave it home.

Kevin

Indeed. Also, it just makes good sense to train shooting from concealment as well. Getting to the gun when you need it and being able to present it in time is just as important as having one in the pipe and ready.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwTc2Gd4d3A

The S&W MP Shield 9mm will be my Wife's gun, unless she can't handle, and I don't see that happening. once I teach her how to handle it, and she gets comfortable with it, then she will take the Concealed Carry Class.

I just haven't made a final decision yet for me, I like the S&W too, along with the Springfield XDS, but I love a Glock. they always go Bang.

Kevin

I like the way you are thinking. I would add, it is nice to have uniformity, if you also went with the M&P you would have interoperability in magazines and in the case of an emergency your wife would be familiar with your weapon should she need to use it.

MKotur325, the semi-auto discussion between spook and myself goes back to a discussion concerning AR-15 semi-autos and conventional semi-auto rifles and shotguns.......not handguns.

noharleyyet, evidently spook has that opinion since it's his belief that AR style guns are designed solely for the purpose of killing other humans and do not serve any other purpose. Remember it was his contention that they are "battle" weapons, even though they are simply semi-auto guns with different cosmetic features.

(it)goes back to a discussion concerning AR-15 semi-autos and conventional semi-auto rifles and shotguns.......not handguns.

Really...? Most of your shotguns do function a differently than an AR. And not all shotguns function in the same ways.

Most of semi auto shotguns function with a delayed gas system, siphoning off some of the expanding gas to push a buffer weight into a rod, which pushes the bolt along with a large spring.

Benelli and others use recoil inertia. This operates by compressing a spring in the bolt during recoil, this stored energy is used to propel the bolt backward shortly after recoil.

The A-5 and some other early shotguns use a recoil operating system. Where the barrel would recoil slightly pressing the bolt directly backward into a buffer and spring located in the stock. Recoil systems are also used in many open bolt or belt fed weapon systems, as well as over 90% of semi auto hand guns on the market.

Many semi auto hunting rifles function similarly to Gas Shotguns. Traditional AR's, also know as DI, Direct Impingement, systems use expanding gas straight off the barrel to push the bolt into the buffer weight and spring located in the stock. Instead of the gas being delayed by a spring and a weight(or other mechanical device) it travels a bit further and is blown directly onto the bolt, instead of onto the op rod and/or buffer.

This still leaves out short and long stroke piston systems and other less common semi auto systems. I don't mean to sound like a dick about this, but at the same time you make this generalization; you are chomping at folks for calling a magazine a clip. There are so few weapon systems in current production that still use clips that for half of the population they serve the same purpose and are considered one and the same. I agree, a clip is not a magazine, but if you want to open that can of worms please don't make the same sort of generalizations about other aspects of firearms operation.

rhomas

spook has a perspective of mil style hardware that I can respect...as do I yours. Criminals and enabled nutjobs aren't impressed by either point of view. Neither is the bloody shirt kneejerk media nor the violence glorifying entertainment industry.....but as we know, they get a pass. Politicians on both sides simply seize an opportunity to ingratiate themselves for poll favor.

noharleyyet, evidently spook has that opinion since it's his belief that AR style guns are designed solely for the purpose of killing other humans and do not serve any other purpose. Remember it was his contention that they are "battle" weapons, even though they are simply semi-auto guns with different cosmetic features.

In fact, the AR-15 was designed between 1955 and 1959 for the US Army, by Armalite, as a replacement for the M1 Garand and M14, with the expressed purpose of killing human beings. To ignore the weapons history does not help your arguement.

However, IMO, this does not change the fact that it is still serves a useful purpose for the outdoorsman, how many game animals have been taken with a 1903 springfield? was this not a fairly big leap in technology for the hunter at the time? Also, the tinfoil hat guy sitting on my shoulder next to the angel and devil, is still fairly uncomfortable with the idea that my government and police force is so much better armed that the average citizen. When the cops are buying armored personnel carriers, I start to get concerned.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybell/2013/03/10/why-the-heck-is-dhs-buying-more-than-a-billion-bullets-plus-thousands-of-guns-and-mine-resistant-armored-vehicles/

Amen

In fact, the AR-15 was designed between 1955 and 1959 for the US Army, by Armalite, as a replacement for the M1 Garand and M14, with the expressed purpose of killing human beings. To ignore the weapons history does not help your arguement.

However, IMO, this does not change the fact that it is still serves a useful purpose for the outdoorsman, how many game animals have been taken with a 1903 springfield? was this not a fairly big leap in technology for the hunter at the time? Also, the tinfoil hat guy sitting on my shoulder next to the angel and devil, is still fairly uncomfortable with the idea that my government and police force is so much better armed that the average citizen. When the cops are buying armored personnel carriers, I start to get concerned.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybell/2013/03/10/why-the-heck-is-dhs-buying-more-than-a-billion-bullets-plus-thousands-of-guns-and-mine-resistant-armored-vehicles/

Amen, The way things are going in this country, it has me concerned too.
One of the next guns I will buy in the near future will be a AR-15 of some sort, but right now I am a little confused on the 5.56 vs 223 thing.
I am open for suggestions.

Kevin

One of the next guns I will buy in the near future will be a AR-15 of some sort, but right now I am a little confused on the 5.56 vs 223 thing.

Kevin

The little I know on this, I found the M4 style the better of the two. The 5.56 is a must over the .223 . .223 is an only. The 5.56 NATO round is capable of the .223 as well.

Kevin

They are awesome coyote guns, for sure! Mine bags at least a couple every year. If you are looking for an M4 type weapon that will be useful as a hunting firearm but still be light and compact, I would look at the 18 inch barrel models out there. They will give you pretty much all the performance you will get out of the round.

The 5.56X45mm Nato is the match grade milspec chambering. the shoulder is a TINY bit different on the 5.56, it also designates a slightly higher pressure rating as the 5.56 brass is generally loaded just a touch hotter. If you are going to get an AR, get a 5.56 chamber. I'd also recommend an 8" or faster twist if you want to run heavier slugs.

The long and the short of it... There isn't a good way to truly appreciate this platform until you shoot it, and experiment with it. They can be INCREDIBLY accurate, they are as reliable as long as maintained properly and can serve so many purposes beyond the original intended purpose. Interestingly enough... The same can be said for most Civ legal military weapons... Look at the 1911, the '98 Mauser (or other early Mauser rifles), The Colt M1873, the Springfield 1871 Falling block Remington MSR/XM2010, the Glock 17, or the S&W Model 10. All were designed for Military uses, and have so many uses outside original intention. No different with the AR Platforms.

Would you like to pull up a post where I have said anything even resembling ''AR style guns are designed solely for the purpose of killing other humans and do not serve any other purpose.'' Don't bother,I'll save you the time.IT DOESN'T EXISTS. The good Lord knows i'm more than capable of saying some pretty ignorant crap but that's not one.
I'm beginning to see a pattern here, Whenever engaged in an honest discussion and presented with a few facts you don't like,just drag out the old tired half truths or just start making stuff up.

In the past you have accused me of having a prejudice against the AR 15,if I have any prejudices it is for the AR platform. I know exactly what it is. I know that it's designed features are there for Function not ''Cosmetics'' as you have stated many times. Just for the record,knowing exactly what an AR 15 is and what an AR 15 is not, I support the Rights of law abiding Citizens to own them. I'm of the opinion that just because those who oppose our Rights are full of S#!t and refuse to debate the facts, doesn't give us the right to just start making crap up ourselves.Do you feel that our position in this ongoing National debate is so weak that you need to resort to silly statements like''An AR 15 is just like an Remington 1100''? If you truly believe in the 2nd and want to defend it from those who want to dismantle it use facts,use the truth,leave the lies and myths for the other side and we will win.

Remington MSR/XM2010

Sexy....

FYI. You may already be tracking, but an MSR and XM2010 are different rifles, but they do utilize the same chassis system. The XM2010 uses a Rem 700 magnum length action and is chambered in 300 Win Mag. Where the MSR (Modular Sniper Rifle) is built on a specially designed action, and can interchange between .308, 300 Win Mag, and 338 Lapua.

I was referring to the design concept between the two. The 2010 starting things out, and gaining the modular concept with the MSR. Kinda a chicken vs egg thing. By the way I LOVE the design of the MSR... Just want one in a WSM instead of a WM... Buy hey... Why be picky!

MKotur325---I believe the statement that they (semiautomatics) are the same simply refers to the fact that each shoots one shot each time the trigger is pulled until the firearm is empty. Thus the Remington is the same as the AR15, just as any semiautomatic shotgun is the same because you pull the trigger each time for one shot until it is empty. It's really that simple and is the same whether it's gas, recoil inertia, or whatever that empties the chamber and loads another round. They are all semiautomatics and even the news a lot of times comes on and calls them automatics because they don't know squat about firearms.

Last edited:
MKotur325---I believe the statement that they (semiautomatics) are the same simply refers to the fact that each shoots one shot each time the trigger is pulled until the firearm is empty. Thus the Remington is the same as the AR15, just as any semiautomatic shotgun is the same because you pull the trigger each time for one shot until it is empty. It's really that simple and is the same whether it's gas, recoil inertia, or whatever that empties the chamber and loads another round. They are all semiautomatics and even the news a lot of times comes on and calls them automatics because they don't know squat about firearms.

Topgun, Should this be the case, I'd love to hear that from the original poster. From what I read, that is not the case.

Edited

Lastly... 5 bonus points to who can first answer what the A in AR15, AR10, and AR18 stand for! Here's some hints... Its not Assault, Automatic, or Autoloading.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back