Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Competition grows to auction off coveted hunting tags

Not sure why anyone would pay 30k for this tag. Could likely book a hunt on some of the better quality ranches and kill the same quality of buck for a third the price.
I talked to a guy that bought a governors tag this year (not MT deer) and asked him why he paid so much for a tag that he could have killed the same quality animal by simply booking a hunt. His reply was simple…”it’s just money, and sometimes it feels good to win.”

I talked to a guy that bought a governors tag this year (not MT deer) and asked him why he paid so much for a tag that he could have killed the same quality animal by simply booking a hunt. His reply was simple…”it’s just money, and sometimes it feels good to win.”
Minnesotahunter bought the goat tag some years ago, had a good hunt and write up. Don't know what he paid for it, but he was happy spending the money for conservation purposes.

The group in question is MOGEI. Seems like they do good with the money they raise.
Maybe they can do a better job promoting the Montana Moose tag than DU has?
I guess I would rather money go to projects for more moose in the state than special hunting trips. There appears to be a conflict of interest if MOGEI ends up paying a MOGA member for a hunt for some “high deserving” individual.

I guess I would rather money go to projects for more moose in the state than special hunting trips. There appears to be a conflict of interest if MOGEI ends up paying a MOGA member for a hunt for some “high deserving” individual.
90% of it still goes back to the state agency. It doesn’t matter who sells it for the sake of conservation.

I would rather a moose conservation group sold the tag as well. Don't think there is currently such a viable group. That leaves it to who can aution the tag for the best return to FWP.

I would rather a moose conservation group sold the tag as well. Don't think there is currently such a viable group. That leaves it to who can aution the tag for the best return to FWP.
Would you be ok if American Heart Association got next years tag? Or maybe JDRF, or Alzheimer’s Association? It’s bad optics. At best it looks like diverting funds from primary mission. At worst in two years we won’t be able to tell where FWP ends and MOGA begins.

So regardless of the organization, if they could come to the commission with a contract or some guarantee from someone willing to spend X amount of dollars, they should get it?

Is it about maximizing dollars, or is that just a part of it? If it’s just a part of it, what’s the other parts?

That’s a rhetorical question as much as anything, as it seemed the commission was wondering the same thing.

One of the problems with auction tags in other places is that groups with sordid histories seem to be awarded them. There’s obviously something in it for these conservation/“trade” organizations - else they wouldn’t do it.

Would you be ok if American Heart Association got next years tag? Or maybe JDRF, or Alzheimer’s Association? It’s bad optics. At best it looks like diverting funds from primary mission. At worst in two years we won’t be able to tell where FWP ends and MOGA begins.
About every conservation group I know of have funded trips for youths and disabled vets. I don't personally have a problem with it.

90% of it still goes back to the state agency. It doesn’t matter who sells it for the sake of conservation.
It does though, at least IMO.

Moose, Deer, Elk, Ram, Goat tag(s) awarded to the Montana Society of Association Executives.
The conservation organizations who are specifically involved in Fish, Wildlife, and Parks conservation / enhancements lose.

IMO, It should be valued as a conservation organization win. Not weavers society, realtors association, etc.

Meh, online forums we're all full of opinions. 🙂

About every conservation group I know of have funded trips for youths and disabled vets. I don't personally have a problem with it.
Funded. Exactly. Follow the money flow. MOGEI pays for a hunt for some deserving individual and the money goes to a member of MOGA. I would love to see an audit done in a couple of years to where this money went. Looks like it will be hard to avoid self-dealing. But as long as Montanans are ok with that I guess.

Doubt he'll buy any tickets. But if he wins the offer stands.
I haven’t in a while. I heard there were no 5yo mule deer left in MT. But I might buy one now. 😉 if you force MTmuley to go with us I will buy 10. If I win we won’t even leave camp. You and MM can just tell me stories of the glory days and your secret spots and magnificent weapons and how the abundance of animals would have made Lewis and Clarke piss their pants. I will simply bask in your glory and enjoy every second.

I haven’t in a while. I heard there were no 5yo mule deer left in MT. But I might buy one now. 😉 if you force MTmuley to go with us I will buy 10. If I win we won’t even leave camp. You and MM can just tell me stories of the glory days and your secret spots and magnificent weapons and how the abundance of animals would have made Lewis and Clarke piss their pants. I will simply bask in your glory and enjoy every second.
No way would I ask @mtmuley to burn one of his spots for you. I'll burn few if you can keep up. Remember Lewis and Clark about starved to death when they came through here. Today is the glory years.😉

I have no problem with an auction tag I just think we are kidding ourselves if we think it improves anything outside of some of the work they have done with sheep maybe. It feels good but in the field results still show a steady decline in Montana at least. Glory days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RPN
Back