Competition grows to auction off coveted hunting tags

I'm on both sides of this auction tag fence. On one hand, I definitely don't like the idea of a guy being able to just buy a tag. On the other hand, if the funds are used appropriately, its a huge win for wildlife. I guess that's why I much prefer the raffle type of these tags over auction. I am honestly not sure how much of the money actually helps. Maybe that's part of the problem and thus this discussion.

As an example, WI only gets 4 elk tags per year right now to its residents. Let's say this next year they didn't to auction one off and it goes for 150k. If 120k of that went directly to adding more elk to the landscape wouldn't that one tag lead to dozens more for the typical draw? A huge net win right?

I don't have a problem with an organization, focused on conservation, that's consistently involved within MT receiving tags to be raffled, auctioned, etc. As Gerald mentioned 90% of funds remain in state / fwp hands, 10% is utilitzed by the organization.

Add to this, I believe thresholds should be a prerequisite.
As ONE example: The $$$ RMEF members have paid into, voluntarily given time to enhance wildlife lands, and $ used for the direct conservation of MT wildlife, including funding, legal expenses, etc for opening land access to us - all this pales in comparison to 10% of $ gained from the raffle/auction of a tag or few.

It's significant when outside entities compete for tags... That's something prerequisites should stop from even entering a request for tag(s).

Have we seen any of these benefits?

I've seen the benefits and potential benefits. It helps if you actually attend the discussions.

“This work is the most comprehensive effort FWP (or likely any other State or Provincial agency) has undertaken for wild sheep and goats,” said Kurt Alt, Conservation Director for the Wild Sheep Foundation and MTWSF.

The two projects will address distribution, augmentations, new herd development/expansion, habitat management, pathogens, predation, and comingling between domestic and wild sheep. These projects are funded by hunter-derived funding from Montana Bighorn Sheep permits and Pitman-Robertson matching funds, about 8 million dollars over the next five years.

Auction tags are gross, but I am pleasantly surprised that the commission is willing to try a different approach.

BHA will need the support of a lot of raffle/lottery buyers for the commission to repeat this in the future.
What is the difference between a BHA raffle/lottery and state issued limited entry permits. I can see where letting conservation groups auction off tags at a banquet could generate excitement and hype and push up the price of the tag.
I was going to say the state could handle a raffle just as well as a conservation group, but then I thought about it. Might be best if a conservation group handled the raffle.

Regarding the gazette article, condensed version for those that don't like to read.

The MT BHA won the opportunity to raffle of the MT Governor's mule deer tag. One of my county commissions, Jeff Burrows was the big support of this. Now it's up to MT BHA to raise funds for Montana mule deer. Hope they do well.

What is the difference between a BHA raffle/lottery and state issued limited entry permits. I can see where letting conservation groups auction off tags at a banquet could generate excitement and hype and push up the price of the tag.
I was going to say the state could handle a raffle just as well as a conservation group, but then I thought about it. Might be best if a conservation group handled the raffle.

I don't see a big difference, other than the hype the conservation group can potentially generate and the reputation-building that benefits the conservation group. The state could also run an auction just the same as a raffle.They do it all the time with their vehicles and surplus equipment. That's why whether it is an auction or a lottery/raffle, it seems these gifted permits are a tactic to leverage the reach and reputation of the groups awarded to the benefit of the state.

I don't think the 10% is much of financial benefit at all for the groups - in Montana anyway. I think a lot of folks concern about auction tags is derived from what they have become in Utah, which I know is not the same as MT, and so I think there is an argument to made there that the comparison between the two is invalid.

What does MOGA have to do with this thread? Did you even bother to read the article in the OP? Is BHA now in cahoots with MOGA?🤪😂

The pavlovian responses to threads like this sure are entertaining.😁
From the article:
“The moose license was awarded to the Montana Outfitters & Guides Education Institute, displacing Montana Ducks Unlimited, which had sold it the past nine years.”

From the article:
“The moose license was awarded to the Montana Outfitters & Guides Education Institute, displacing Montana Ducks Unlimited, which had sold it the past nine years.”
Missed that last paragraph in the ravalli rebublic article I read. How much has DU brought in in the 9 years they auctioned the moose tag? See how (MOGEI) does with it this year, just like MT BHA does with the mule deer tag.

How much have the mule deer auction tags been selling for? I wouldn’t think the bar has been set very high.

Missed that last paragraph in the ravalli rebublic article I read. How much has DU brought in in the 9 years they auctioned the moose tag? See how (MOGEI) does with it this year, just like MT BHA does with the mule deer tag.
I believe a well known member said “MOGA is not a wildlife group. It’s a trade organization.”

1000 tickets @ $30 each is very doable to match this year's revenue.
Oh they are going to crush 30k with the lottery system. I wouldn’t be surprised if they make 75-100k with the lottery system. Montana doesn’t have enough quality deer hunting for someone to pay big money at an auction. People will absolutely throw in $25 for a chance to hunt any deer in the state though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back