SAJ-99
Well-known member
My point is it makes sense that it doesn’t matter the time of year you kill them just that you have to kill them every year. Cost and effort become the main factor.I dont think anyone would argue that skipping predator control for a year wouldnt result in them coming back, im missing the point you are trying to make. And while they do eat other things - the target things like sheep/deer during fawning.
Regarding the last sentence or that small game populations didn’t matter, I’m going to give the side-eye on that. I want to see a complete study. Making a conclusion on a variable of the study from the data is a common problem. Then consider that both small and large game will be affected simultaneously by other variables (weather, fire). I’m not going to claim it is the same for all predators but coyotes eat a lot of different stuff. They pick what is easiest. If mice and voles are plentiful, no reason to risk a hoof to the face for a meal. In a good weather season with more fawns, then you need to control for that. But yes, predators probably slow MD population rebounds a bit.