"Compensatory Reproduction" in Coyotes, why killing them equals more coyotes and less deer

I remember my Uncle taking dozens and dozens, heck maybe even hundreds of coyotes from Shelby to Great Falls to sell at about that time frame. He ran cranes and killed coyotes in the winter. If you were a coyotes around Shelby, Montana back then, your life was in grave danger. mtmuley
My father would team up with a guy that shot coyotes from his Piper Cub with buck shot and take bids from fur buyers. Dad would have maybe 50, the guy with the cub would have in the hundreds.
 
I read the article and while it provides some interesting observations it completely lacks scientific evidence to support the claim that reducing shooting coyotes will not positively impact your deer herd. That doesn't mean its not true but they have not shown it with any significant level of evidence. I do question the authors claim that "as a landowner or hunter, you simply do not have the means to decrease the coyote population on your property". Years ago with the help of the UDSA placing M-44's and snares (and us calling/shooting) we were able to reduce their population. I do agree that putting efforts into management and habitat will likely have a greater impact on increasing population... but that is pretty obvious.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
120,146
Messages
2,251,239
Members
39,101
Latest member
VioletCrown
Back
Top