Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Commercial Backpacking meals

MThuntr

Anyone experimenting with the newer/alternative commercial backpacking meals? I'm weaning myself off of Mountain House, Backpackers Pantry, and AlpineAire due to the salt and because I want to try something new. I just got a small package from Heather's Choice that I'm going to experiment in the next week (her meals are very highly regarded but also the most expensive option). I am considering small orders from Paleo-to-go and Good-to-go.

I will also be trying to make my own dehydrated meals so I can control what I'm eating but wanted to see what else is out there for commercial options.

Are there some others that I should try?

I am interested to hear what you think about Heathers choice.

I think the idea of making your own is really interesting.

Making your own isn't really all that hard. Sometimes they don't rehydrate as well as freeze dried meals do. I've also found that it's easy to underestimate how much seasoning to add. In the future I'm going to be more diligent about taking little individual packs of things like olive oil, red pepper, Frank's etc to liven things up a bit.

The Heather's Choice seemed kind of spendy to me, but then again I'm a certified cheap skate.

Yeah Heather's choice is twice what Mountain House costs per serving. I bought the sampler pack. So far I've eaten 1 package of Packaroons which are basically no bake cookies. They were good but you put chocolate & espresso beans it's easy to enjoy.

I have a larger 10 tray dehydrator that I tried last spring to make meals but made a giant mess and ended up with crunchy noodles and meat sauce when rehydrated. JLS if you have some recipes or recommendations to books to buy I'd love to give them a shot

I'll see what I can dig up. One thing I've found is that it takes about twice as long for dehydrated food to rehydrate as it does freeze dried. I usually let mine sit for a good 20 minutes or so. I'm thinking the oil may help that a bit too.

Just about any soup will dehydrate well so long as you don't make it too runny. Taco soup, black bean/sweet potato soup, curry, etc. I've also done spaghetti sauce and homemade mac and cheese (DON'T use whole wheat noodles for this).

I was hanging out in Cabelas the other day, waiting for an item to be brought up from the back and was looking at the different food choices after listening to the Gritty Bowmen Podcast with Heathers Choice. Looking at the nutritional values, mainly the amount of protein, between the different brands was astonishing! I have also heard good things about Hawks Vittles.

I bought a half a dozen Heathers Choice to try them out. The Buckwheat breakfast was hands down the winner and will definitely buy again. The rest were meh, still too salty, hard to rehydrate (even after 20 min), and in my mind not worth the added cost. I do like where she's taking the market though. I really want to try making my own, and I think the ticket to better rehydration is to actually recook/boil the food on the stove, not just pour hot water in a packet/bowl.

I bought a half a dozen Heathers Choice to try them out. The Buckwheat breakfast was hands down the winner and will definitely buy again. The rest were meh, still too salty, hard to rehydrate (even after 20 min), and in my mind not worth the added cost. I do like where she's taking the market though. I really want to try making my own, and I think the ticket to better rehydration is to actually recook/boil the food on the stove, not just pour hot water in a packet/bowl.

Thanks for the input. I'm planning on a Heather's Choice for lunch but a 20 minute reheat means I'll have to start early.

I'm thinking that recooking/boiling on the stove may be tough with a jet stove or jetboil since they tend to be really hot and tough to simmer with

Taste test #1 Heather's Choice Smoked Salmon Chowder...After mixing with water and letting sit for 25 minutes I think it is mostly done. Carrots are chewy, peas are chewy, fish is chewy...probably needed more water and time. Each individual ingredient has good flavor and it is easy to tell which each individual flavor is. The consistency resembles something in a pot pie. The flavor for me is tough to get through...almost bitter with a slight spice that is misplaced. I think the bitter is from the carrots.? 2 spoonfuls and I'm done. I'm pretty iffy on fish so that may be the dealbreaker.

Last edited:
Like I mentioned on the other packaged meal post that's going around...I reviewed Paleo Meals to Go and was pleased. Use code HF25 to 25% off your order. They pack some serious nutrition and calories into their meals.

https://huntingfit.com/2016/05/17/re...o-meals-to-go/

Thanks again, I'll see if there are a couple that catch my eye and put your coupon to good use. So far the Heather's Choice stuff isn't living to the hype

Taste Test #2 Paleo-to-Go Canyon Chicken Chili. This is an interesting meal. I opened it and it was obvious that it was pretty high quality. Chunks of freeze dried chicken, sweet potato, cauliflower, celery, and onions with an obvious chili spice smell. Followed directions (I added 1.5 cups of water and could have used less) and it rehydrated beautifully. The spice was just right if I were camping but being at home I felt the need to add some Tabasco. There is a sutble sweetness that didn't distract too much but probably wasn't necessary when I read the ingredients that coconut sugar was added. Salt serving was 10% of the normal Mountain House. All in all I'd give it a 4 of 5 Stars...only docking a point for the sweetness.
13256370_10156957369965553_1325261221052460779_n.jpg

Wow, theres actually chicken in that.Those chicken with rice MH meals are terrible.I think they always forget the chicken in the ones I buy.I live off the spaghetti,chili mac when I'm hunting.Those are the only ones I can really eat,but some of the new ones I've tried haven't been terrible;pepper steak.I might have to try some of ones suggested

Just a head's up, but Costco has the 13-pack of Mountain House meals on sale for $46 at the warehouse.

4 breakfasts

9 dinners

Impressive part is they have an expiration date of October 2028...... :W:

I always sweat a lot while back packing anyway so sodium never overly concerned me, mountain house is hard to beat serving size, shelf life, prep, cost and taste: sweet and sour pork and chili mac!

C

Was just talking to neighbor about MH & deals....and a trip to costco soon.
But I gotta tell you that pic of the chicken looked good enough to eat,in the daylight too. LOL
I usually eat the MH in the dark and pretend,with lots of water to wash in down.

I been thinking of using the drier for more than just jerky again. If I can find fruit I dry that and use it in almond mix for hunts.Apricots are the best.

Was just talking to neighbor about MH & deals....and a trip to costco soon.
But I gotta tell you that pic of the chicken looked good enough to eat,in the daylight too. LOL
I usually eat the MH in the dark and pretend,with lots of water to wash in down.

I been thinking of using the drier for more than just jerky again. If I can find fruit I dry that and use it in almond mix for hunts.Apricots are the best.

Dry some watermelon and you will change your tune.....

Dry some watermelon and you will change your tune.....

That Sounds great. As for the other options I guess I'm strange but I love mountain house. My all time favorite was seafood chowder but I don't think they make it anymore.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back