Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Coming to Eastern Montana to hunt deer? Bring snowshoes!

Looks like you have the essentials. Enjoy the hi-line. Some good beer can be had in those small towns.
I enjoyed some suds at the Malta brewery last year. Not bad. But I stayed clear of all establishments this year. People there were way too careless for my comfort zone. Went into a coffee shop for a decaf and wifi. None of the staff were masked up and the owner coughed on me as I walked in the door. No kidding. She saw my back in a hurry. Albertson's across the street was no better. Staff unmasked handling everyone's groceries.

Havre has three breweries (or they did last year). The one in the ghost town mall has something to do with hunting dogs so I gave it a try. Once was enough.

This thread sounds like a Phoenician up on the rim in a snow flurry on a late elk hunt, not a Canuck in the L48.
I have hunted moose in -30 C with snow half way to my knees. But no wind, no crust, and no drifts. About sixty miles from town and hunting alone. I had access to a trapper's cabin a few miles away if something went wrong. Choose your footing carefully in those conditions. A torn ligament could be fatal. Fortunately I didn't shoot anything but it was a lovely clear day, excellent tracking, and no competition. Just dress right and keep moving. Another time I skied in to my old campsite 18 kilometers and hunted a clear day in -20s. Someone's snow machine had packed the light knee deep snow so my skinny skis would stay on top. I listened to two bulls fighting over a cow with yearling calf less than fifty yards away but couldn't see any of them in the thick tag alders. Skiing out in the moonlight is a cherished memory.

We get minus fifty days here occasionally and -40s just about every year (keep in mind the two thermometers cross paths at -42). Same snow here on Halloween is usually still here at Easter (well, in the old days anyway ... I'm headed out to rake leaves shortly ... Dec 11!). And though not born in Montana (first week of my life was in Idaho), I lived there until 1989 (37 years). So yes, I know a thing or two about winter and how to hunt it. But this past month in Montana was the worst conditions I've experienced ... FOR HUNTING. And I have a lot of experience. Not the coldest, windiest, or snowiest, not by a long shot. But drifted and terrible crunchy with cover for birds either stripped or flattened. Not impossible to hunt but damn near.

Don't worry. I take criticism from the immature and inexperienced peanut gallery with a grain of salt. Like snowymountain said, children abound on the internet.

Last edited:
I enjoyed some suds at the Malta brewery last year. Not bad. But I stayed clear of all establishments this year. People there were way too careless for my comfort zone. Went into a coffee shop for a decaf and wifi. None of the staff were masked up and the owner coughed on me as I walked in the door. No kidding. She saw my back in a hurry. Albertson's across the street was no better. Staff unmasked handling everyone's groceries.

Havre has three breweries (or they did last year). The one in the ghost town mall has something to do with hunting dogs so I gave it a try. Once was enough.
Free country stay home if u don’t like it

I have hunted moose in -30 C with snow half way to my knees. But no wind, no crust, and no drifts. About sixty miles from town and hunting alone. I had access to a trapper's cabin a few miles away if something went wrong. Choose your footing carefully in those conditions. A torn ligament could be fatal. Fortunately I didn't shoot anything but it was a lovely clear day, excellent tracking, and no competition. Just dress right and keep moving. Another time I skied in to my old campsite 18 kilometers and hunted a clear day in -20s. Someone's snow machine had packed the light knee deep snow so my skinny skis would stay on top. I listened to two bulls fighting over a cow with yearling calf less than fifty yards away but couldn't see any of them in the thick tag alders. Skiing out in the moonlight is a cherished memory.

We get minus fifty days here occasionally and -40s just about every year (keep in mind the two thermometers cross paths at -42). Same snow here on Halloween is usually still here at Easter (well, in the old days anyway ... I'm headed out to rake leaves shortly ... Dec 11!). And though not born in Montana (first week of my life was in Idaho), I lived there until 1989 (37 years). So yes, I know a thing or two about winter and how to hunt it. But this past month in Montana was the worst conditions I've experienced ... FOR HUNTING. And I have a lot of experience. Not the coldest, windiest, or snowiest, not by a long shot. But drifted and terrible crunchy with cover for birds either stripped or flattened. Not impossible to hunt but damn near.

Don't worry. I take criticism from the immature and inexperienced peanut gallery with a grain of salt. Like snowymountain said, children abound on the internet.

Good story 👍🏻

This might be one of the funniest running threads on here in a while. Who knew pheasant hunting in snow was so hazardous?

A quick check with a tape measure finds snow depths 1/2 way to my knees would be a crippling 11".

If'n you are taller than 5' 10" or wear boots with high heels YMMV.
Not crippling but a workout if hunting all day. Knee deep and you'll be sweating your ass off while constantly on the move tracking moose. Not good if temp is -30. But of course you have enough experience to know that, right?

Last edited:
Not crippling but a workout if hunting all day. Knee deep and you'll be sweating your ass off while constantly on the move tracking moose. Not good if temp is -30. But of course you have enough experience to know that, right?
My guess is Tony has enough experience to layer accordingly so he doesn’t sweat his ass off.

That’s -20F. Not that big of a deal.
-22 F to be exact. And that is very cold. As a kid in the Flathead I hunted ducks a couple of times in January when it was -22 and -24 F. So cold it was tricky getting a shot through the fog coming off the creek's open water. Listen for whistling wings and get ready to shoot ... fast! As soon as the dog was wet we had to run for my car ('53 Chev Bel Air). I only recall once when it got that cold during big game season.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back