Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Coming to Eastern Montana to hunt deer? Bring snowshoes!

OntarioHunter

And I am not kidding. It is brutal here. Twenty inches of snow and drifts two to twenty feet deep everywhere. Only county roads open and sometimes not for long. Snow drifts are hard packed but not hard enough to stand on. Leave your quads and SxS home. Won't do you any good here. I can't see how these drifts will disappear and open up backcountry before the season closes. This is the worst hunting conditions I have ever seen on the East Side. The coyotes must be loving it though. Yeah, and climate change is just a bad joke.

And I am not kidding. It is brutal here. Twenty inches of snow and drifts two to twenty feet deep everywhere. Only county roads open and sometimes not for long. Snow drifts are hard packed but not hard enough to stand on. Leave your quads and SxS home. Won't do you any good here. I can't see how these drifts will disappear and open up backcountry before the season closes. This is the worst hunting conditions I have ever seen on the East Side. The coyotes must be loving it though. Yeah, and climate change is just a bad joke.
Ontario, where on the East Side are you?

Ontario, where on the East Side are you?
The Hi Line ... north central. But this storm literally covered the state. Well, the first storm. Not sure about the one two days later but comparatively speaking it wasn't much. The high winds and loose snow have been the continuing problem. It settled down yesterday until the afternoon. Looking good this morning but still quite cold. I believe things actually warmed up during the night ... slightly. Very unusual for a clear night. Damn east breeze is blowing out my camper's furnace pilot. Thank gawd the power is on. Electric heater does the job but difficult to control at night. Either too hot or too cold. Gets too cold and I have two furry raiders hogging the bed space. Makes for a rough night.

Almost afraid to ask but how is your sister making out with COVID? Been thinking of you.

Yeh....ok .
20201110_163611.jpg
That's ordinarily a deep gully. Yesterday I watched my Lab disappear suddenly several times. Once I almost had to go down and try to dig her out. Standing on her hind legs she could barely get her face above the snow. Have to be careful on the ridge tops as drifts are sometimes blown fifteen feet into space with overhang in some places more than twenty feet high. A real avalanche threat, especially for a goofy dog. Yeah, buried by an avalanche in Eastern Montana. That would be something. My brother is bringing over two pairs of snowshoes. I don't see any other way to hunt deer right now except maybe with a snow machine and I won't do that. Or sit on a quad. Not hunting in my book. I have been out fighting the drifts the last two days bird hunting and it is brutal. Crossing from one ridge to the next requires some careful strategy to find a spot that's safely negotiable. Hunting up the coulee bottoms is impossible. Blown over crevices down there will swallow a leg in a second. Wrench your knee and just as well hand someone the keys to the safe deposit box with your will in it. I can handle snow up to my thighs but when the wind packs it hard, that sh*t is a killer, especially when combined with these winds and temps. Keep moving or die. No joke.

He’s a blow hard that’s had too many whiskeys
Eight and counting: what's that, your age? FYI I don't drink whiskey ... or much of anything. Maybe a half dozen lite beers a year after shooting skeet or clays. Too many calories in the hard stuff. I prefer to spend my money on hunting trips instead of booze and smokes. Just booked another buffalo hunt in Africa.

Yeah, okay. Keyboard expert like you wouldn't last five minutes out here right now.

Last edited:
Well this should be another great and informing Eastern Montana Mule Deer thread........ might as well include, bring the sleds or trax should be easy to get a buck this year.

First one to bulldog a 180 buck and tie him Ill buy him or her a 30 rack of Old Mill Lite. Not kidding.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with the game warden (yesterday I reported some Block Management violators). She says the weather will be in fifties next week. That will make a fine mess of things. Roads will be impassible again due to gumbo but everyone will be out tearing them up anyway. Hope the snowshoes arrive before then.

E09316A5-99BE-4194-8B61-453785268828.jpg
Funny thing is I have been from Loring to Plentywood this week and could still find a million places to hunt but what do I know.

I think OH must be a frustrated attorney. His motto is “never say in two words what you could get across in twenty”.

Roads will be soupy at times but lots of that snow melt will go in the ground because it was super dry and it isn’t frozen

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back