Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Coming to Eastern Montana to hunt deer? Bring snowshoes!

So I must've missed something.....jeez you guys are being kinda harsh to Ontario, guy is just giving a weather report.

Many ducks around Glasgow right now? Always thought of heading over that way to extend my waterfowl season. Never been to Northeast or North-central Montana
Just some differences of opinion on normal winter conditions vs Snowmageddon.

You talking about the river? I’ve seen lots of geese coming off. Not sure about ducks, haven’t seen any for a while. Most of NE MT/NW ND had an abysmal waterfowl season with a very early freeze up. The entirety of my waterfowl season was 6 ducks.

OMG...please tell me those aren’t floodwaters from our epic snow melt. Frickin’ 2020. 😉

Hope you have a great trip, and Happy Thanksgiving.
I thought it was the Yellowstone, but you must be right... Thanks, hope you have a happy Thanksgiving too.

You talking about the river? I’ve seen lots of geese coming off. Not sure about ducks, haven’t seen any for a while. Most of NE MT/NW ND had an abysmal waterfowl season with a very early freeze up. The entirety of my waterfowl season was 6 ducks.
Yep. Bedoin bird refuge near Malta was froze over when I arrived the first week of big game season. First time I've seen it freeze up that early. And it has never thawed. Though I have seen it freeze early before, it's always thawed again at some point before December. A few flights of waterfowl still come and land on the ice. The day after the big storm I saw something truly unusual while signing in at a BM box near Havre. A large raft of geese heading south was so exhausted flying against the gale force winds they collapsed onto a sagebrush ridge blown clean of snow. They stayed on the ground for about thirty minutes while my Jimmy vainly fought the drifts trying to get to the pheasant coulee. Then they were off again but only thirty yards or so in the air.

It has been a strange year. I only bagged ten geese at home this fall. Had just two days of hunting where anything was in the air. Usually I get thirty to forty a season. The northern geese simply never came. The ones I did get were almost certainly locals. And this in a place where the sky is typically black with honkers from the last week of September to second week of October. Crops harvested and weather was normal though somewhat drier. There's more water than land and plenty of feed in the fields. No early freeze up. What happened?

Last edited:
So I must've missed something.....jeez you guys are being kinda harsh to Ontario, guy is just giving a weather report.

Many ducks around Glasgow right now? Always thought of heading over that way to extend my waterfowl season. Never been to Northeast or North-central Montana
Immature trolls. SnowyMountain bragged about shooting a big muley buck three times in the boiler room with a 94 gr pop gun and I expressed my opinion, obviously substantiated by his report, that 94 gr is not enough for mule deer. He took it personally and has been trolling my every post since. And he has a merry band of flying monkeys following along. Obviously the guy has no interest in pheasant hunting or bird dogs but trolls every post I make on those topics anyway being sure to leave his brand so I know he's lurking. Very not grownup. Yes, the internet is full of abusive childish trolls, but few are proud of the fact. Setting a great example for his kid.

The Missouri River, I always thought early December was primetime?........but this was based on second hand information and limited research and we all know how that goes.

The Missouri River, I always thought early December was primetime?........but this was based on second hand information and limited research and we all know how that goes.
I’ve shot ducks on the Missouri and on some Malta area wheat fields in December, but we always found a lot more ducks early. The Yellowstone in December can be great for geese and divers with occasional mallards.

I predicted the drifts would still be here till the end of big game season. And they were/are. This is the last day of Thanksgiving weekend. Snow is now heavily crusted which makes hunting (real hunting on foot) almost impossible. Challenging to say the least. Only if you're fit. Very fit. Terrible noisy. Just as well drag a bass drum behind me.20201129_163132.jpg

I predicted the drifts would still be here till the end of big game season. And they were/are. This is the last day of Thanksgiving weekend. Snow is now heavily crusted which makes hunting (real hunting on foot) almost impossible. Challenging to say the least. Only if you're fit. Very fit. Terrible noisy. Just as well drag a bass drum behind me.View attachment 164881

I better start doing CrossFit now so I’m ready for next years snowpocalypse....

Immature trolls. SnowyMountain bragged about shooting a big muley buck three times in the boiler room with a 94 gr pop gun and I expressed my opinion, obviously substantiated by his report, that 94 gr is not enough for mule deer. He took it personally and has been trolling my every post since. And he has a merry band of flying monkeys following along. Obviously the guy has no interest in pheasant hunting or bird dogs but trolls every post I make on those topics anyway being sure to leave his brand so I know he's lurking. Very not grownup. Yes, the internet is full of abusive childish trolls, but few are proud of the fact. Setting a great example for his kid.
Bragging? It's called a hunt report, of which there are dozens on here each fall. Lots of elk and deer killed with 85-140 grain bullets on hunttalk, not sure why you picked mine to crap on but what fun! My kids are turning out great thanks for you concern. 🤗

Bragging? It's called a hunt report, of which there are dozens on here each fall. Lots of elk and deer killed with 85-140 grain bullets on hunttalk, not sure why you picked mine to crap on but what fun! My kids are turning out great thanks for you concern. 🤗
Right. Everyone is shooting elk with 85 gr bullets. Sure, if you say so. It was my opinion that 94 gr is too light for big mule deer and your hunt report confirmed it. Three shots "in the boiler room" to bring it down kinda says it all. That was my opinion. You're the one who got all crappy defensive about it. And then start this childish trolling me around. I suppose I could also do that to your threads and posts. But I prefer to act like a grownup.

I would not want someone who is new to hunting and reading that hunt report thinking they should be heading out after mule deer with 94 gr bullets ... because they shouldn't ... unless they plan to shoot the poor things full of holes to bring them down. The animals deserve more respect than that.

Right. Everyone is shooting elk with 85 gr bullets. Sure, if you say so. It was my opinion that 94 gr is too light for big mule deer and your hunt report confirmed it. Three shots "in the boiler room" to bring it down kinda says it all. That was my opinion. You're the one who got all crappy defensive about it. And then start this childish trolling me around. I suppose I could also do that to your threads and posts. But I prefer to act like a grownup.

I would not want someone who is new to hunting and reading that hunt report thinking they should be heading out after mule deer with 94 gr bullets ... because they shouldn't ... unless they plan to shoot the poor things full of holes to bring them down. The animals deserve more respect than that.
94gr bullets not enough for mule deer? I would have zero issues using 94 gr bullets for mule deer in the right cartridge. Heck I mean how many people use a 257wby with 100gr bullets and the deer goes flop?

I predicted the drifts would still be here till the end of big game season. And they were/are. This is the last day of Thanksgiving weekend. Snow is now heavily crusted which makes hunting (real hunting on foot) almost impossible. Challenging to say the least. Only if you're fit. Very fit. Terrible noisy. Just as well drag a bass drum behind me.View attachment 164881
Or you could just walk along that completely barren area on the right. 🤷‍♂️ I generally don’t see many pheasant roosted on top of 20’ iced-over snowdrifts. If I came upon this scene, I’d be walking that barren area while the dogs are working the bottom. But that’s just me. I’m kinda lazy and prefer to go where the birds actually are.

You're full of crap. Watched my 13 year old nephew pound a whitetail buck at 120 yards with his .243 and 100 grain nosler solid base on November 18th. Cut 7 sets of elk tracks walking to his deer. Put the deer in my pack and tracked those elk for about an hour and a half. Caught them moving across a small opening at 362 yards. Nephew got a solid rest and thumped a mature cow with another 100 grain solid base. Filled his elk and deer tags in less than 2 hours. Sell your crap somewhere else.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back