Caribou Gear

Combating Point Creep

I wish Colorado would do away with points, but only after I dump my 10 Elk and 15 Antelope points :D

Or, one could buy a voucher or conservation tag and ............ it could reset their points to ZERO? :D

I think even that will have zero effect on increasing point creep. Its still one less opportunity for a person through the public draw. We as sportsman are fairly naive
to think that same person won't simply buy the tag the very next year...:(

I think even that will have zero effect on increasing point creep. Its still one less opportunity for a person through the public draw. We as sportsman are fairly naive
to think that same person won't simply buy the tag the very next year...:(

I would disagree. I know guys who are buying points in the same years they are buying these vouchers. When they have enough points, they then jump in the regular draw, increasing point creep.

The idea behind that suggestion is not to lessen people from buying vouchers, as only fewer vouchers will do that, but to take those thousands of people who are buying vouchers and get them out of the point game. That would make a difference in this topic of point creep.

I just bought my first points in Wyoming this year, and I am looking at either Arizona or Utah to start building points for next year to go along with Colorado. I am just jumping in and hoping for the best!

I would get rid of the point systems and for very high demand tags, I would implement waiting periods, or as some states have done for some species, once-in-a-lifetime rules.

But, once you start a point system, any changes to the system usually screw the guys who have been investing in points under that system.

For the most part, I don't worry about point creep. I look at points as a quasi-perishable item. I hope I sure with no points in my name. Burn them as soon as you can. Hunt more, not less.

If family or business/work imposed on my hunting time, I would accumulate points, but not worry about creep. Once things changed and time allows, I would be spending those points as soon as I could.

Point creep is only an issue, if you let it be an issue. Further perpetuated by those research services and tag application services, all of whom benefit from point creep.

I used to despise those services, but now am very glad so many hunters follow the advice of these services. I draw way more tags now, than I did when I followed those theories.

I agree with you 100% Big Fin. I'd rather hunt 10 times in an OTC or "lower" quality unit than once in a blue moon on one of the glory units. I'll still get points for future use but I'm not in the game to collect points, I'm in it to hunt.

Its interesting that in the latest HF, Garth himself espoused this logic. He called them fun hunts but it sounds like they are going to start publishing fun hunts in the states they cover. Those of us that hunt in lower demand units may see some of our favorite spots featured in HF. :-(

I don't mind the points game here in Colorado because I can plan my hunts out a little better ahead of time to where and when I'll hunt. I just wish the DPW would send out projected tag allotments BEFORE the draw deadline to help plan a bit better.

I am the poster child for what a Point Creep looks like.

In colo have drawn sheep (twice):D
Best archery elk hunt:hump:
Mountain goat:p
Bull moose:D:D
Cow moose:confused:
Scads of deer and antelope tags:hump:

And all sorts of cool stuff in other states.

What's not to like about points systems...

I am the poster child for what a Point Creep looks like.

In colo have drawn sheep (twice):D
Best archery elk hunt:hump:
Mountain goat:p
Bull moose:D:D
Cow moose:confused:
Scads of deer and antelope tags:hump:

And all sorts of cool stuff in other states.

What's not to like about points systems...
Yeah, most of the guys I know who have been hunting for 50 years have drawn good tags. :rolleyes:

;)

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back