Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Colorado Unit 76/49/66

I agree with what some of what was said above about 76. I hunted it in 19' for early archery deer & spent 2 weeks all over that unit hunting and combined with an early August scouting trip. Saw some decent bull elk but nothing that was crazy. Biggest was a great 7x6 but most Bulls were 5 points. There are quite a few ATV trails in the non-wilderness areas. The Weminuche was pretty spectacular as I never heard the ATV traffic the rest of the unit received. If I had the tag I'd pack back into the Weminuche and hire someone to pack out an Elk should I be successful. What I did see was some absolute silly big bull moose. I also helped a Big Horn Tag holder locate his Ram as I had eyes on the area for a week prior to his season & knew where I had seen a few different groups of Rams. Love that area so much I'm actually headed back this fall for a week of ATV'ing and getting married up in those very same mountains:)

I agree with what some of what was said above about 76. I hunted it in 19' for early archery deer & spent 2 weeks all over that unit hunting and combined with an early August scouting trip. Saw some decent bull elk but nothing that was crazy. Biggest was a great 7x6 but most Bulls were 5 points. There are quite a few ATV trails in the non-wilderness areas. The Weminuche was pretty spectacular as I never heard the ATV traffic the rest of the unit received. If I had the tag I'd pack back into the Weminuche and hire someone to pack out an Elk should I be successful. What I did see was some absolute silly big bull moose. I also helped a Big Horn Tag holder locate his Ram as I had eyes on the area for a week prior to his season & knew where I had seen a few different groups of Rams. Love that area so much I'm actually headed back this fall for a week of ATV'ing and getting married up in those very same mountains:)
Wow sounds like a exciting fall coming for you. Any recommendations on areas to target in the Weminuche to avoid guide camps. Don’t want to impose on those guys. Also any areas where it might not be as brutal on the body. Will be in top shape, but it’s elk hunting and will be hard no matter what your condition. Also was there good bugling early, we are thinking of going the back half of archery season but that’s not set in stone. We are hoping to just be on some elk, killing one would just be a bonus.

Well I'm going to be 60 in another month put in for unit 49,48,481,76 as a fourth choice.
I have 10 points
Remember that CO looks at all applicants’ first choices before moving onto second choices. All second choices are reviewed before moving onto third and so forth. So... assuming that you applied for the units in the order you listed above, your only valid selection is that first choice in 49. There won’t be any nonresident tags for 48, 481 or 76 that remain after all first choices are processed.

Remember that CO looks at all applicants’ first choices before moving onto second choices. All second choices are reviewed before moving onto third and so forth. So... assuming that you applied for the units in the order you listed above, your only valid selection is that first choice in 49. There won’t be any nonresident tags for 48, 481 or 76 that remain after all first choices are processed.
We applied for 76 first choice and only choice. So all or nothing in 76

I've hunted there regularly for 4th season cows. I have only seen a few really large bulls, most are decent size 6x6. Definitely nothing I would consider a trophy. Don't let the hills intimidate you. Just be in the best physical shape you can be when you come out. There is plenty of terrain that is accessible by foot.

Thanks for the response Paul, plan is to start working out here soon, as even a easy elk hunt is tough on the body. Been looking over maps trying to identify areas to access and potentially do a couple 2-3 day bivy hunts if we need too. Just looking forward to seeing some elk, they are all trophies in my eyes. I would be plenty satisfied with a decent 6x6.

Come back and comment when you get the draw results so we can go over some areas that could be of benefit to you. You might be surprised at where we have seen elk and taken them.

Come back and comment when you get the draw results so we can go over some areas that could be of benefit to you. You might be surprised at where we have seen elk and taken them.
That would be great, once in a lifetime hunt. Hoping to see some elk and get some good encounters, anything else would be a bonus.
Here is a pic from last week.
1619541081411.png

Good luck if you draw unit 76. Hopefully you draw. I wish I was in your position with points, but I was in no mans land and would never catch 76. I burned my points on 66. Just looking for a fun hunt with an opportunity at any bull.

My dad and I drew archery elk tags in 76 for this year. Is anyone out there willing to share their experience or provide any intel on the unit?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back