Colorado unit 61 muzzleloader

stephebd1223

Hey guys, I'm new to the site and this is my first post. I was finally, after 15 PP, lucky enough to draw a unit 61 muzzleloader tag this year for Colorado elk. I have been to the area once before but am from about 5-1/2 hours away and will probably only have one or two wknds to get out and scout before the season starts because of work. Does anyone have any information on the area that may help me on my hunt. I'm young and willing to work hard for a nice animal. Everyone just tells me to not shoot the first 6x6 I see. Any information on tactics that these elk respond to or certain areas to start my scouting would be extremely helpful.

Thanks,
stephbd

Welcome to the site. Wish they would have taken my 17 points this year. If so, I could have provided you some recon from the archery season.

I think some guys here have hunted it. Hopefully they will give you some intel. Good luck.

Congrats on a great tag. I have not hunted the 61 side of the plateau, but I have hunted the 62 side successfully. One the biggest things I learned in that area was that 90% of the elk hunters go up to the top of the Plateau and hunt in aspens and conifer forests. Guess where 90% of the elk go? Down to the PJ/desert country. I know 62 is an OTC unit, and your unit is very limited, but still its a piece of knowledge to store in the back of your head if you are not seeing any elk up high. The elk have no problem finding water/food down there either because there are deeeeep canyons with creeks that kind of make a desert oasis. Good Luck and enjoy!

Congrats on a great tag!

I've hunted the south end of the unit for deer. I saw 10 bulls for every buck, no joke.

You won't have a problem finding elk. Just mind the private land boundaries.

Welcome to Hunt Talk! I hunt 62, I have scouted in 61 with friends that have drawn in that unit. Depending weather, might want to find water in the south end.

Welcome to the site. Wish they would have taken my 17 points this year. If so, I could have provided you some recon from the archery season.

I think some guys here have hunted it. Hopefully they will give you some intel. Good luck.

Wow Randy, is 61 requiring that many pts now?? I'm caught chasing the point creep dream with 20 (now 21 pts) and don't want to burn them on 61/76. Looks like those units are catching me! I sure hope CDOW changes their draw system or I become a resident again:) say hello at ATA or SHOT if you get a chance, Rob / Skull Hooker

Ruttinelk,

When you decide to give up chasing points put in for 2nd, 3rd, or a 4th season tag. They take a lot fewer points. I'll be hunting it 2nd season this year and it took 8 resident points.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
See65
Back