PEAX Equipment

Colorado unit 54

Huntall

Hey guys I'm looking on some advice on where to go in Colorado unit 54 for an early season archery elk hunt. I'm having a rough time trying to get use to places to find elk and why to look for. I'm only 20 and in good physical shape so wouldn't mind getting off the beating path a few miles. Any advice on this unit or how to use a map to find elk would be much appreciated! I currently have the hunt buy onx maps and also the app. Thanks!

Listened to any of Randy's podcast? Any of his YouTube videos? Did you search for questions along those lines in the search bar? Some of your questions have been answered in other post, but also about the maps, Randy's podcast does a great job on answering how to use a map for determining where Public Land Elk are. Episodes 15 and 20 should help I believe. Check out his YouTube page. Does an in depth discussion on how to utilize maps for scouting.
Good luck!

I hunted for two years with Dellis Ferrier, a long time guide in GMU 54 of the West Elk Wilderness area. He is a great guide and a real gentleman. We hunted the 2nd rifle season both times and did see a few elk but, no trophy quality elk. Dellis himself, said that in the area we were hunting, there were very few trophy elk but, did say there were a lot of good shooters, He indicated that the trophy elk were in the more remote areas 54. Again, this was the 2nd rifle season and, GMU 54 is a large area. You may have better luck in an early season archery hunt. We hunted the Peterson Creek and Cowboy Camp areas the last time and it was crowded. We had other hunters in our area and ran into them so often, we greeted each other by first name. Not Dellis's fault, the hunters just showed up after we packed in to our remote drop camp.

I've been doing research on that area too, but for first rifle! Hard to get that kind of info without some scouting right? Give the local biologist a call and ask what he thinks. Let me know how you did!

The weather will dictate a lot. During archery season, you'll have relatively unpressured elk, but they'll likely still be high too. Chances are, you can scratch out a lot of the winter range along the southern part of the unit. You're probably going to want to be in the 10-12,000 foot range, so look for access areas that get you within a reasonable hike of that kind of country. Look for areas of dark timber, not too far from more open feeding areas and if they face north, even better. You'll want water nearby too. I'd recommend that you map out 3 or 4 different areas that look promising and be prepared to move on if a spot isn't working. You have to remember that elk only occupy a small percentage of their range at any given point in time. If you're not seeing elk, or fresh sign, move on until you are seeing them. And, at that time of year, I'd recommend getting up high in the morning where you can see and hear. Glassing and listening for bugles will help you pinpoint where they are. That's half the battle. Good luck! I hunted 54 last year and it's beautiful country! I even lucked out and shot an elk!

I would get DOW website and look at the summer concentration areas and this will eliminate much of the overall unit. That would be where I started. What Doug said is spot on in my opinion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rgreen
Back