Colorado unit 4

PAGOAT

From what I've read it seems everyone says the elk head off public land shortly into the first day. I have 6 spots picked out to look into when we get into the area, I'm planning on 4 days minimum to scout before the first day. 3 spots are more of an escape route, drainages heading from high country to private, 2 are just areas that are hard to get to that look good the other id California park which seems very popular and all over the net. I'm leaving the 4 wheeler home this year I drug it out 2 years ago to a different unit for it to sit in camp all week. I will be bringing my enclosed trailer and canvas tent so moving camp can be fairly easy for when and if I find elk.

It seems the area has a large elk herd but also a lot of hunters. Is it going to be that bad during the 1st rifle? I can see second season being bad but I will be there 1st rifle unless things really change for the draw this year

I plan to buy a bear tag even though the Fish and Game site is showing that not a lot of bear are killed there. I'm thinking its more of a thing that people hunting deer and elk don't want to bother with them.

I decided to switch over to this area because of it still being an E/S tag while the unit I hunted before went bull only. I'm happy with any elk.

So what do you guys think ? Good plan so far ?

Hunted it years ago a few times. Pm me I can share some info

From what I've read it seems everyone says the elk head off public land shortly into the first day. I have 6 spots picked out to look into when we get into the area, I'm planning on 4 days minimum to scout before the first day. 3 spots are more of an escape route, drainages heading from high country to private, 2 are just areas that are hard to get to that look good the other id California park which seems very popular and all over the net. I'm leaving the 4 wheeler home this year I drug it out 2 years ago to a different unit for it to sit in camp all week. I will be bringing my enclosed trailer and canvas tent so moving camp can be fairly easy for when and if I find elk.

It seems the area has a large elk herd but also a lot of hunters. Is it going to be that bad during the 1st rifle? I can see second season being bad but I will be there 1st rifle unless things really change for the draw this year

I plan to buy a bear tag even though the Fish and Game site is showing that not a lot of bear are killed there. I'm thinking its more of a thing that people hunting deer and elk don't want to bother with them.

I decided to switch over to this area because of it still being an E/S tag while the unit I hunted before went bull only. I'm happy with any elk.

So what do you guys think ? Good plan so far ?
Never been to the unit, but thats what I have gathered. Goodluck this year on public ground and I might run into ya!

Here are plenty of bears around but the sheepherders keep them alittle shy. 1st season normal has the highest success rate.

I had 1 point which was 100 % last year. Not so much now, I was a little worried since a lot of units went bull only and this one stayed E/S that more people would apply.

Anyone hunt GMU 4 during archery season? Is hunting pressure the same or less during bow season?

Anyone hunt GMU 4 during archery season? Is hunting pressure the same or less during bow season?
I haven’t hunted 4 but I can’t imagine it’s not crawling with people like the other otc units. Hunt middle of the week and hard to get areas and you will get away from the majority

Was there two seasons ago. PM and I'll share the hard lessons we learned about that area. Camped in California Park and hunted 4 and 441.

I'm pretty sure if we went back I could kill an elk after talking to the locals and seeing how the first two days of season went.
We are looking at that area too any advice is appreciated - I saw something that there’s a lot of road hunters

Was there two seasons ago. PM and I'll share the hard lessons we learned about that area. Camped in California Park and hunted 4 and 441.

I'm pretty sure if we went back I could kill an elk after talking to the locals and seeing how the first two days of season went.

Braunee20 - would love to pick your brain a bit about muzzy elk and deer in 4 & 441 if you have some knowledge there. My email is [email protected].

My son did end up drawing GMU 4 for archery. Looking at a few different areas and planning to go up this weekend to scout for accessibility, downfall, glassing points. I see they do give plenty of tags for the unit. Just curious if anyone has any tips or helpful insight. Maybe just a DM where I may be able to pick your brain if you have been in the areas I plan to be. We are not scared to hike (Anything up to 4 miles with full camp on back). Generally speaking we hunt out of a pack for 2-3 days at a time. Never had to pack out an elk (as I am pretty new to western hunting), but packed several whitetails out of different areas while hunting out east. Thanks in advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back