Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Colorado Unit 4, First Rifle Season Honey Holes???

Good Day to All, just kidding about honey holes,

Well I have no idea where to begin. Long story short, Me and 3 other friends (one coming up from TX) will be going to Colorado GMU 4 for 1st Rifle Season, Bull Tags. Never hunted this GMU and first time hunting 1st Rifle Season. We hunted 2nd season for the last 3 years without a kill, not even glassing a Bull Elk. Perhaps that’s why I think “Bull Elk DON’T Really Exist” lol. Like always, I’m the one doing all the research and I can definitely feel the pressure to provide a great hunting experience for all my friends, specially the one driving all the way up from TX.

Bottom Line Up Front: Looking for any other first-hand experience, any pointers or advice for this unit. As you know, I’m not asking for a 10-digit grid coordinate to your honey hole ;-) PM as needed.

What I have done so far: I had done tons of research regarding the area, I used OnXMaps, Google Maps and plotted several potential spots for scouting/glassing points. Searched this forum for other Posts about GMU 4, Also watched a few Youtube videos of the area and watched all of Randy’s videos over and over. Due to work and family, have not had the time to visit the area but we are going up the WED before our season begins. We are camping up high along Road 27, near Sawmill Creek Campground.

Main focus area includes points at different elevation south of Bears Ears Peak, area between Sugar Loaf Mountain and Saddle Mountain and southeast of Black Mountain. Wondering if I should go lower in order to ride those boundaries of public and private.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I guess I’m just super exited and double guessing all my research I have done since last year. - ColoradoHunter719

Capture.JPG

Hi, I came across your post researching Unit 4. This will be my first elk hunt, and plan on going with my son, at this point I think surviving and a good experience will make it a successful hunt. Did you have any luck, and I would love to hear about your experience and any advice for a first timer.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back