Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Colorado Sheep/Goat/Moose Draw Results Thread

Colorado draw results need to get in quick....I am wasting inordinate amounts of time researching the drainages sheep have been killed in in a unit I probably have a 2% chance of drawing with 18 points....

Reading this thread is depressing for my next year plans. I was planning on putting in for a Cow moose tag with 3 points. Just couldn’t swing the tag cost this year.

Reading this thread is depressing for my next year plans. I was planning on putting in for a Cow moose tag with 3 points. Just couldn’t swing the tag cost this year.
I would think you will still have a chance. I would think most people getting into the game are not thinking about cow tags

Thats one thing i don't get about the people who all the sudden jumped in two years ago.. how was fronting the money a barrier to entry when, if you draw the tag you have to pay anyway

Thats one thing i don't get about the people who all the sudden jumped in two years ago.. how was fronting the money a barrier to entry when, if you draw the tag you have to pay anyway

Not to mention if you are a resident, you are now paying an extra $150 annually for points (assuming you are applying for all three; $300 for a non-resi), where when you had to front the cash points were effectively free. I.e. Things are now overall more expensive by the time (and even if) you draw.

If you have a family of 3+ putting in then fronting the money can be steep. If you don’t have to front it you can throw everyone in, including grandma, and chances are you’ll only be paying for 1 tag at the most.

If you have a family of 3+ putting in then fronting the money can be steep. If you don’t have to front it you can throw everyone in, including grandma, and chances are you’ll only be paying for 1 tag at the most.

Exactly. Fronting the money with a lot of other applications is very different from paying for one tag (if lucky) later on.

Supply and demand and Colorado wanting the most money possible. I am sure they got interest on the gazillion dollars they used to have from pay-up-front apps, but taking $100 each plus an $82 small game makes more money, especially considering so many new people are applying. The "free year" was a classic bait and switch..."well, I got a sheep point, may as well keep going." Sucks for guys who have been involved for a decade or two, but you can't fault them for making money.

The bigger problem is that fish and game departments are bureaucracies that only know to increase spending...they do not do well making cuts, just like universities. So they just find ways to get more money to spend.

well there's my answer lol.. never thought of that since mine are too young to apply yet

Supply and demand and Colorado wanting the most money possible. I am sure they got interest on the gazillion dollars they used to have from pay-up-front apps, but taking $100 each plus an $82 small game makes more money, especially considering so many new people are applying. The "free year" was a classic bait and switch..."well, I got a sheep point, may as well keep going." Sucks for guys who have been involved for a decade or two, but you can't fault them for making money.

The bigger problem is that fish and game departments are bureaucracies that only know to increase spending...they do not do well making cuts, just like universities. So they just find ways to get more money to spend.
No

Colorado never got interest on the money they held for applications, they were statutorily barred from earning interest. The stopped doing this because it cost them millions to print checks and administrate the process.

The app fees + qualifying license was planned from the beginning to put Colorado on par with other states. AZ, UT, NM, AK, etc all have a similar requirement.

The stopped doing this because it cost them millions to print checks and administrate the process
And they were paying the merchant card fees to visa/MasterCard at ~2->2.5% on the full tag fees.

The bigger problem is that fish and game departments are bureaucracies that only know to increase spending...they do not do well making cuts, just like universities.
I don’t disagree with the general sentiment (and having recently worked with some of our firm’s government clients, including a university, the levels of bureacracy in public sector operations are truly mind boggling), but CPW actually cut costs (as wilm pointed out) AND increased revenue (as you pointed out) AND strengthened their revenue pipeline (greater share of P-R fund grants in coming years with qualifying license sales) with the changes from 2018. All things any private enterprise strives for.

I will be interested to see financial reports from CPW the next few years to see how the funds are being apportioned. That’s the one detail that is still relatively unknown.

I feel as though that argument that it more affordable is fairly illogical as a resident. The old system you had to front the money, which equated to saving less than 6 dollars per week per person throughout an entire year. You fronted the fee and if you didn't draw you were refunded the entire fee, which could be used for the next 20 years over and over until you drew. You lost $3 per year you didn't draw... preference points were free.... Now you pay $50 dollars per year for points, 3 times the application fee, and still have to pay the entire fee for the tag if you draw, buy a qualifying license($40-$80) and its suddenly more affordable??? Maybe I just really suck at math?

For a nonresident the higher fee would make it tougher but you could save for a couple of years and still reuse the fee $. I mean you're going to complain about the fee to hunt a once in a lifetime species, but likely will spend near that amount in travel expenses and gear to do the hunt...???

You could raise the price to $300 a point and I would mow lawns, pick up aluminum cans in my spare time... anything to earn that $$$ to hunt, I guess that some people will make it a priority to do what they love...

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back