Yeti GOBOX Collection

Colorado Sheep/Goat/Moose Draw Results Thread

I am starting the waiting game this year to get ram tag, but put my dad in for a ewe with zero points so he may have a chance

went for a cow moose tag.. figured might as well swing at the best chance for a tag before the ballot box biology kills the population
+1
f.png

AA.jpg

went for a cow moose tag.. figured might as well swing at the best chance for a tag before the ballot box biology kills the population

+1, sort off. will be my 4th colorado moose tag if I draw.

The biggest impediment to hunting moose in Colo may not be the ballot box biology, but rather, the humongous swell of nonres and res applicants that earn their 3rd pref point this year and will be eligible for tags in 2021. To me anyone with 3+ points in hand that put in for pts only this year instead of an actual tag made a huge strategic mistake (speaking only of playing the odds effectively not other life reasons). Same goes for sheep and goat. A guy with 3+ might have to be nuts, or fairly ambivalent, to not be putting in for actual moose/sheep/goat hunt codes the last couple years knowing the biggest bubble of applications we may ever see are soon to be in the running and will crush already lottery-esque odds further.

The one time step trend toward even more horrendous odds that kicks in next year will suck.

I put in for a much easier to draw cow moose than might normally apply for knowing it will be much tougher next year, and already have my OIL bull. Did Same with mt. goat praying I get my points burned before it gets near impossible to to next year.

Anybody else factor this issue into draw startegy? It’s not like a secret to protect at this point asnext year it won’t matter.

So this is happy sort of posts (from first Friday in May last year) We all wanna see this Friday. Good luck!

My post below ended up being archery bighorn for me. AS fun as it is to anticipate the draw results, the night before the sheep opener I don’t think I slept a wink, so thrilling to have great tag burning a hole in ones pocket.

In for desert, moose and goat this year.

488B3AED-0B2B-4B0F-B74D-7FE0A39F0A3B.jpeg

Last edited:
+1, sort off. will be my 4th colorado moose tag if I draw.

The biggest impediment to hunting moose in Colo may not be the ballot box biology, but rather, the humongous swell of nonres and res applicants that earn their 3rd pref point this year and will be eligible for tags in 2021. To me anyone with 3+ points in hand that put in for pts only this year instead of an actual tag made a huge strategic mistake (speaking only of playing the odds effectively not other life reasons). Same goes for sheep and goat. A guy with 3+ might have to be nuts, or fairly ambivalent, to not be putting in for actual moose/sheep/goat hunt codes the last couple years knowing the biggest bubble of applications we may ever see are soon to be in the running and will crush already lottery-esque odds further.

The one time step trend toward even more horrendous odds that kicks in next year will suck.

I put in for a much easier to draw cow moose than might normally apply for knowing it will be much tougher next year, and already have my OIL bull. Did Same with mt. goat praying I get my points burned before it gets near impossible to to next year.

Anybody else factor this issue into draw startegy? It’s not like a secret to protect at this point asnext year it won’t matter.

All true... statistically everyone was better off putting in for a tag this year than points and applying next year. 2021 is gonna be a train wreck for odds.

That said I put in for all female tags, I won't draw... so I mean 🤷‍♂️ (according to past draws, 0-10% chance of drawing any of the tags)

Last edited by a moderator:
All true... statistically everyone was better off putting in for a tag this year than points and applying next year. 2021 is gonna be a train wreck for odds.

That said I put in for all female tags, I won't draw... so I mean 🤷‍♂️ (according to past draws, 0-10% chance of drawing any of the tags)
As a soon-to-be-nonres, you chose wisely I would say.

Sheep, moose, and goat tags in any state for a NR are lottery odds any way you slice it. Yeah, they're going to get worse in CO for sure, but I'll just keep sending my donation and hope to catch a break.

Not much else to do about it really...and not applying isn't an option.

Sheep, moose, and goat tags in any state for a NR are lottery odds any way you slice it. Yeah, they're going to get worse in CO for sure, but I'll just keep sending my donation and hope to catch a break.

Not much else to do about it really...and not applying isn't an option.
Yep. Has anyone looked at the numbers of people that 'continued' with M/S/G here after the 2018 anomaly? At $50/$100 per point per species the last two years, I'd have guessed a lot of them would have dropped out after their 1 point, but I haven't looked at the numbers.

A brief look shows a ton of people dropped out of Rocky sheep from 2018-2019 (I ignored the Youth numbers for this) - but still a TON continued.

1588010130515.png

A brief look shows a ton of people dropped out of Rocky sheep from 2018-2019 (I ignored the Youth numbers for this) - but still a TON continued.

View attachment 138141

A lot of of drop of but still over 4x what it was previously. So we can still assume it will get much more difficult.

Edit: comparing 2019 1 point applications to 2017 1 point applications

So this is happy sort of posts (from first Friday in May last year) We all wanna see this Friday. Good luck!

My post below ended up being archery bighorn for me. AS fun as it is to anticipate the draw results, the night before the sheep opener I don’t think I slept a wink, so thrilling to have great tag burning a hole in ones pocket.

In for desert, moose and goat this year.

View attachment 138127

That was a great day (goat)! Fingers crossed for a sheep tag this year. ;)

What type of female tags because there are a few ewe hunts with good odds

Back