Caribou Gear Tarp

Colorado Preference points

ktn1969

Do I have to purchase a Colorado small game license just to buy preference points in deer and elk?

Do I have to purchase a Colorado small game license just to buy preference points in deer and elk?
To my knowledge, new for 2022, no charge other than app fee for deer and elk points. Only points fees are MSG. Pg. 5 and 9 of the 2022 reg book. I could be mistaken though. Wouldn’t be the first time 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

you will need the small game + a stamp i believe, if your a non res just to get points
Yes. I just read that deeper. You have to buy the small game license in order to qualify to apply for the draw. But no fee for the point itself unless it’s a pp code on your first choice MSG. Thanks for helping clarify that a bit.

Yes. I just read that deeper. You have to buy the small game license in order to qualify to apply for the draw. But no fee for the point itself unless it’s a pp code on your first choice MSG. Thanks for helping clarify that a bit.

You need a qualifying license small game or turkey.

Then you can either apply for a pref point only or for a limited unit. If you don't draw your first choice you will be awarded a preference point, then your second choice, if applicable will be considered and you can draw that tag.

Moose/Sheep/Goat are the same except if you don't draw you have the choice of nothing or paying for a preference point.

This preference point change will hit your credit card before the draw and is the way folks know before the actual results are posted if they got a tag.

You need a qualifying license small game or turkey.

Then you can either apply for a pref point only or for a limited unit. If you don't draw your first choice you will be awarded a preference point, then your second choice, if applicable will be considered and you can draw that tag.

Moose/Sheep/Goat are the same except if you don't draw you have the choice of nothing or paying for a preference point.

This preference point change will hit your credit card before the draw and is the way folks know before the actual results are posted if they got a tag.
You make this a lil TOO EASY to understand amigo LOL

I hear CO is running out of elk though.
16% total overall success vs WY 46% ... if they don't start managing things better they will run out of elk. looking through the stats it just doesn't make sense to have units below 10% success rate and theres 2,000 - 3000 hunters

16% total overall success vs WY 46% ... if they don't start managing things better they will run out of elk. looking through the stats it just doesn't make sense to have units below 10% success rate and theres 2,000 - 3000 hunters
You can't do a direct comparison, as CO is manage for opportunity and WY quality.

If CO cut 70% of NR tags, had 6 week seasons and allowed you to hunt archery and rifle then harvest rates would probably be similar. Reverse is likely also true, I wonder what WY success rates would be if your tag was only good for a bull and you only had 5 days.

I don't think you can argue that CO is less sustainable than WY, the systems just have totally different goals.

It seems like CO counts on diminishing returns in harvest as far as selling more OTC tags results in proportionately fewer elk killed (lower overall success) so selling more OTC tags provides greater revenue with limited risk of overharvest.

It seems like CO counts on diminishing returns in harvest as far as selling more OTC tags results in proportionately fewer elk killed (lower overall success) so selling more OTC tags provides greater revenue with limited risk of overharvest.
And it leads to game damage claims, harboring on private lands, demands for more PLO licenses and landowner vouchers, etc.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back