Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Colorado Points - Build 'em or hunt now?

IdahoBugler

OK guys I'm having a tough time deciding if I should hunt now or build up more points. I have 7 points for both deer and elk. For deer I have a bit more options then I do for elk. Since I drew a good tag in Wyoming for elk I'm probably going to just build up another point.

But deer is a different story. Colorado is producing some good animals and I'm thinking I should just hunt now and stop waiting for a better tag that may not be any better then a tag that takes 2-3 points. I'm thinking of burning them on one of the gunnison units. What do you guys think? Build more points waiting for a a 4th season tag or hunt maybe a 2nd or 3rd season tag?

Looking forward to hearing from the experts. I was going to try to get a tag this year for deer, but AK fugged that up. Just bought my point on Sunday (only my 3rd). Am I good enough for next year for a good ML unit with the three points or should I hold off for a few more years?

Dang IB, you should have went last year when you could have banked a few AND got to hunt. Obviously it's not an option this year, but there are still some quality hunts there that don't require a lot of points. Personally, I say hunt while it's good.......you never know when the killer winter from hell comes along and wipes out deer and tags are cut drastically.

Oak

To bad the press didn't get a hold of that winter kill story you sent out on Colorado this year.

Oak

To bad the press didn't get a hold of that winter kill story you sent out on Colorado this year.

I PM'd him the 'winter kill' story, so I'm sure he's sufficiently discouraged. Never know who might be doing some internet 'scouting' around here.:rolleyes:

MtMiller, I'm sitting on 3 points and gunna buy a 4th this year. If you decide to do something next year or the year after, and would like to hook up, lemme know.

Moosie, does your wife know how often you're trying to "hook up" with dudes?

IDBugler/Miller,

I would like to start building points in Colorado this year. I went to the website and filled out the whole app using the pref pt code. When I got to the checkout part it said I would owe $301. I read that they would keep the app fee, but refund my money and I would recieve a pref pt. I went into the costs for a deer tag and it is $300. So does that mean the app fee is only $1.00 and it does not cost but $1.00 to build pref pts since I will get a refund check in the amt of $300 back? I'm just used to other states charging for a pref point so I'm not so sure that I'm not missing something.

Thanks for any help!

I'm pretty sure it costs $25 for the preference point. So you'll get $275 refunded. I'm starting to build points this year too.

Fowl,
Your total cost should be $304 ($300 license fee, $3 non-refundable application fee, $0.75 WMPEF fee and $0.25 search and rescue fee). If you haven't purchased a hunting/fishing license in the previous year, they will also withhold $25 from your refund for the preference point.

I woudln't sit around waiting for a 4th season premium tag. IMO 3rd is just as good, and to be honest I dont' think a 2nd would be all that bad either in the premium units. You might not see as many big deer in 2nd vs 4th, but I'll bet you see a few that you'd be happy to hang on the wall.

Bambi (and others).... So I don't have time this year to go. Limtied on Vacation. So do I save the $25 and not buy a point or jsut pay the $25 and get the point knowing it won't do me much better next year ?

(Edit) I thought you were talking 3 point V's 4 points not 4th season......

I think I have 3 points or maybe 4 already. I jsut haven't been able to go. things like AK and other hunts. this year after HAwaii, Wyoming, Float trip, and several other vacations Colorado jsut isn't in the mix.

Next year is Africa as well. might be tough to get the time off. I think I need to keep buying the points or I loose them... ?

Buy a point every year until you want to hunt. It's silly not to, unless you can't afford it. ;)

You don't know where you're going to want to hunt or how many points it's going to take. Accrue as many as you can.

Buy a point every year until you want to hunt. It's silly not to, unless you can't afford it. ;)

You don't know where you're going to want to hunt or how many points it's going to take. Accrue as many as you can.

+1

IMO all it takes is a point or two to get into good areas in CO, heck some of the 0pt areas are good too. IMO Colorado's deer managment is the best there is in the west.

Pretty much the only reason I'm playing the points game is because I want to hunt deer at my cabin, other wise I'd just go hunt every year and take my chances. I should be able to pull a tag next year for 2nd season, odds say I could pull one this year, but don't have the time to go either.

I hear ya on the time thing. Next year is Africa and I think the only other hunt I'll get in is mule deer in CO and I want to make sure I have more than enough points to draw the tag.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. That will definitely help in my decision. I have like a whole week to decide. :) What really sucks 4 years ago I was waiting to decide a little to long and missed the cutoff day by 1 day. I should be sitting on 8 points right now.|oo

Dang IB, you should have went last year when you could have banked a few AND got to hunt. Obviously it's not an option this year, but there are still some quality hunts there that don't require a lot of points. Personally, I say hunt while it's good.......you never know when the killer winter from hell comes along and wipes out deer and tags are cut drastically.
I know I wish I was thinking a head on that one. I'm with you about hunting now though while its good.

Looking forward to hearing from the experts. I was going to try to get a tag this year for deer, but AK fugged that up. Just bought my point on Sunday (only my 3rd). Am I good enough for next year for a good ML unit with the three points or should I hold off for a few more years?
If you want to go muz I think you could get into some pretty good areas with 3 points.

IDBugler/Miller,

I would like to start building points in Colorado this year. I went to the website and filled out the whole app using the pref pt code. When I got to the checkout part it said I would owe $301. I read that they would keep the app fee, but refund my money and I would recieve a pref pt. I went into the costs for a deer tag and it is $300. So does that mean the app fee is only $1.00 and it does not cost but $1.00 to build pref pts since I will get a refund check in the amt of $300 back? I'm just used to other states charging for a pref point so I'm not so sure that I'm not missing something.

Thanks for any help!
The guys are right, send in your $304 and get back $276. Points cost $25 + $3 app fee.

I woudln't sit around waiting for a 4th season premium tag. IMO 3rd is just as good, and to be honest I dont' think a 2nd would be all that bad either in the premium units. You might not see as many big deer in 2nd vs 4th, but I'll bet you see a few that you'd be happy to hang on the wall.
I'm with you bambistew. I also like the fact that the 3rd season runs 2 days longer then the 4th season. Those 2 extra days are huge when you haven't had much time in an area before. I sure would of loved to have 2 more days in New Mexico.

Bambi (and others).... So I don't have time this year to go. Limtied on Vacation. So do I save the $25 and not buy a point or jsut pay the $25 and get the point knowing it won't do me much better next year ?

(Edit) I thought you were talking 3 point V's 4 points not 4th season......

I think I have 3 points or maybe 4 already. I jsut haven't been able to go. things like AK and other hunts. this year after HAwaii, Wyoming, Float trip, and several other vacations Colorado jsut isn't in the mix.

Next year is Africa as well. might be tough to get the time off. I think I need to keep buying the points or I loose them... ?
$25 bucks is cheap for a point. Build it and they will come, bucks that is.

I do have another PP question.

Are preference points down to the hunt type and/or unit or just a deer PP is a deer PP point, doesn't matter for archery or rifle or what unit?

Second... can you apply on line and have the PP total charge go to a credit card and then get a refund -$25 for the point later? This saves me having to front the $300+ cash.

thanks in advance.
cmc

As I understand it you can apply for any deer hunt you want with your pp.I apply every year with a credit card.Then you get a check in the mail around June with your refund.

Back