Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Colorado Point Building

havgunwilltravel

Hi guys,

Hoping somebody can help here. I have been building points in Colodaro for a few years, sending in the online application by paying for a preference point with the full tag fee then getting the refund down the track a few months later. It is a decent whack of money for a few species, especially with the poor crossover we are having with the aussie against the greenback.

Somebody mentioned that if you brought an annual licence for fishing or fur bearing or something similar then you only need to purchase that then $40 for each species (pronghorn, deer and elk) will be deducted from the licence. I have looked at the regs and it isn't clear in regards to this application method.

Safe bet for me is to keep doing it the way it has been working, but if there was a cheaper and just as effective method to point build i would like to know.

Deadline is coming and i would hate to miss glassing up Dink and Oak on the hill holding hands one year ::D...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

HGWT

I believe the regs are a bit foggy but this year I purchased the 2014 fishing license and I expect that I will be refunded the full $848 for my elk and deer tags meaning that I will not be charged the $40 per species, thus saving me $24 since the fishing licence cost $56. Maybe I'm forgetting the $10 habitat stamp fee but you can't get around that one...

Yes, if you had a hunting or fishing license for the previous year, you are not charged the preference point fee. Since fishing licenses are valid from April 1 to March 31, you can still purchase a 2014 fishing license, thus saving the PP fee for each species you apply for.

Ok thanks guys for the replies.

Im not too worried about the $40 here or there for each species, it was more a question of was their a way to apply without actually submitting the full tag fee for each of the 3 species. But reading through i assume i will have to keep on doing this, oh well, good old colorado can have my tag fees for a couple months for another year!

Good luck with everybody in their apps.

So glad we can hunt here 12 months of the year with no quota on our species..

This should put things into perspective for those of us lucky enough to live in the US...or even luckier to live in the western US :)

ok, i need some help with this also: i just want points for deer/elk should i buy a fishing license first? as i understand it if i do it will only charge me $3 application fee and a $10 stamp? and then i get preference points for any species i "apply" for with the pref point code? i just enter the appropriate code (E-P-999-99-P for elk) as my first choice then the state charges me actual tag cost for each species until i dont draw, then refunds me everything other than $3 per species and $10 so for the 2 pref points with fishing license i pay 56+3+3+10=$72 or if no fishing license(or previous license) i just pay 40+40=$80 as a non-resident? if this is true it makes sense to get antelope/bear points also then if i buy the fishing license? do i need to buy the fishing license for last year or after april 1st for the new 2015 license. sorry guys, this is to confusing state-to-state and i do want to start building points.

chris

Last edited:
@ccc23454, Yes you are correct. If you have an annual fishing, small game, furbearer or a big game license from the previous year you will not be assessed the $40 point fee. If you can front or float the fees for the few months, it makes sense to apply for every species you can. It will pay off in the long run.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back