Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Colorado OTC Archery Elk 2020

SEKHunter

Planning an OTC archery elk hunt in CO mid-September. I am new to this forum as well as new to elk hunting so I'm interested in any relative information I can get. I've looked at other forums and have noticed that most everyone on here is willing to help out fellow hunters rather than make it seem impossible and unwelcoming for a new guy. I've done quite a bit of research and have narrowed it down to units 11, 21, 22, 211, and 65. The main information that I'm looking for is the archery and muzzleloader hunter density in these area's during mid-September. I'm aware of the substantial elevation change between the first four units and unit 65 and have read that elk are usually higher in elevation during this time of year, but I was also curious if the first four units have the elk numbers this time of year, given the elevation. Like I said I'm just a newbie so I'm open to any helpful information and trying to start a new addiction, so take it easy on me 😂

I think there are a few threads on 65 if you just enter it into the search bar. I will be hunting OTC too this year.

No clue on those units but if your wondering if elk will be there in bow season go on the CO hunting atlas and look for the summer range areas.

As stated above the Colorado hunting Atlas provides a great starting point. While there are hunters like crazy, I would also suggest 421. If this is your first time coming into CO for an OTC hunt, they grand mesa provides what I think is good country to learn in. Feel free to PM me and I can show you how I use the atlas to research my units and point you in the right direction. I may not be able to lead you to a the biggest bull but if your goal is to come out, have a good time, see some elk and learn then I think you can be successful on your hunt in those terms. With a little luck perhaps you can tag an elk.

Planning an OTC archery elk hunt in CO mid-September. I am new to this forum as well as new to elk hunting so I'm interested in any relative information I can get. I've looked at other forums and have noticed that most everyone on here is willing to help out fellow hunters rather than make it seem impossible and unwelcoming for a new guy. I've done quite a bit of research and have narrowed it down to units 11, 21, 22, 211, and 65. The main information that I'm looking for is the archery and muzzleloader hunter density in these area's during mid-September. I'm aware of the substantial elevation change between the first four units and unit 65 and have read that elk are usually higher in elevation during this time of year, but I was also curious if the first four units have the elk numbers this time of year, given the elevation. Like I said I'm just a newbie so I'm open to any helpful information and trying to start a new addiction, so take it easy on me 😂

Good Morning SEKHunter! I have never hunted Colorado before but I will also be out there this fall for an Archery OTC, more than likely Unit 65. I have read and heard that Unit 65 gets hit hard because of the OTC Tags being easy to obtain. My thoughts are that I will probably have to hike pretty far out to get away from people, can anyone back me up on that? Have you checked out the Colorado Hunting Atlas yet? It's a pretty sweet tool for gathering information. I have a question for you and maybe the other guys on this forum, what can I expect for weather? Is there a possibility of snow at elevation or should I worry more about sudden rain storms? SEKHunter feel free to DM me and maybe we can compare notes, either way good luck with the hunt and maybe I will see you out there!

Good Morning SEKHunter! I have never hunted Colorado before but I will also be out there this fall for an Archery OTC, more than likely Unit 65. I have read and heard that Unit 65 gets hit hard because of the OTC Tags being easy to obtain. My thoughts are that I will probably have to hike pretty far out to get away from people, can anyone back me up on that? Have you checked out the Colorado Hunting Atlas yet? It's a pretty sweet tool for gathering information. I have a question for you and maybe the other guys on this forum, what can I expect for weather? Is there a possibility of snow at elevation or should I worry more about sudden rain storms? SEKHunter feel free to DM me and maybe we can compare notes, either way good luck with the hunt and maybe I will see you out there!

In Colorado I would be ready for every possible type of weather in September depending on your elevation.

I have hunted Colorado for many years, I don't any helpful info on these particular units.
The last few years Colorado has gotten bonkers with tags and the archery hunters have been jamming the mountains like a born and raised infomercial. I was there twice last year and September was BUSY. I would say plan on getting way in, but I am not sure where I was it even helped. Keep an open mind and keep going until you find some elk. Most will come in silent if they come in.

I will be hunting 65 as well. If I don't feel good about it after 4-5 days, I'll giving either 62 or 63 a whirl. Units 11 had a 19% archery success rate last year, 21 was 16%, 22 was 18%, 211 was 25%, and 65 was 15 %. Hope that helps

Jwill, I would love any help you could share as well if it's not to much to ask.

Last edited:
See attached chart with your 5 units highlighted. Number of hunters is represented by shades of green - more hunters=darker green.
PM Sent on where to get that info . Thanks EDIT : Users profile not available ? Anyone help me out ?

Last edited:
Back