Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Colorado Muzzlelope

Summitthunting

My dad and I headed out a couple of weeks ago to do some muzzleloader antelope in eastern CO. Once we got to our area we set up camp the evening before the opener and went out to do a little scouting. Before we could get our glass on anything we were chased back to camp by high winds and snow, lots and lots of snow. Opening morning we woke up to 3 inches and had 9 inches by the end of the day. The first day was a complete waste, visability was less than 200yds, but drinking coffee and eating candybars in the truck beats the hell out of work. The next two days were uneventful with only a few animals being sighted, and usually in places that were impossible with a muzzleloader. My dad pulled this one out as we were getting ready to leave, less than 2 miles from the gate. It measures 14.25 on each side and I'm going to try and score it(have never done this).

Summitthunting

Attachments

• 2398 Comp.JPG
    2398 Comp.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 204
  • 2416 Comp.JPG
    2416 Comp.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 201
  • 2422 Comp.JPG
    2422 Comp.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 203
I have no idea on how to judge those things but for an easterner it looks like a nice antelope. Especially with a smoke pole! I like the story most of all. Nothing like a father and son hunt.
Congrats on a beautiful animal!

I had a similar situation. I got a nice buck during archery season (public land) in Eastern CO...where I live...and it was a nice 97 degrees out. I had a couple friends come out here with antelope doe tags and it rained just about every day of rifle season. I woke up to a snow storm for the muzzleloader opener so I decided not to hunt that day. It warmed up the next day so I went out "4 wheeling" in the Comanchee Grasslands and finally found a stalkable herd about 4 PM. I got a nice doe with about a 70 yard shot with the muzzleloader in the mud.

Wow, I must have been on the road when this one was posted. Very cool buck. Great job in the snow. Those things can be hard to see in the scattered snow.

Congrats on a very cool buck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrturtle
Back