Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Colorado mule deer

Hunter&Huntress

I have finally been able to talk my dad and uncles to burn our points this year. We should be able to draw a 3rd season unit 61 tag. What tips can you give me on e-scouting for mule deer?? Or maybe good books to buy? Podcast to listen to?

I have finally been able to talk my dad and uncles to burn our points this year. We should be able to draw a 3rd season unit 61 tag. What tips can you give me on e-scouting for mule deer?? Or maybe good books to buy? Podcast to listen to?
Just be aware that third seasons may take a large jump in points this year because of the season dates shift. Can’t help much on the unit.

Just be aware that third seasons may take a large jump in points this year because of the season dates shift. Can’t help much on the unit.
I'm expecting to see a large point jump we should still be fine. I'm not looking for info on the area. Would just like discussion on mule deer and there habits and what I should be looking for when I'm out there.

I've not spent any time in that area, but I would focus on the brushy draws and pockets. Aspen patches, rock piles, etc. Places where deer like to be during the rut

I've been happy with this book. It's got some late season info. Having hunted that general area of Colorado quite a bit I've found the availability of acorns in the oakbrush makes a difference on how they move down the mountain. They seem to move through the mid elevations faster when the acorns aren't there. I've never hunted as late as it is this year but I would think keeping an eye on any does you find is going to pay off. That will be a great hunt, good luck.
20210322_131604~2.jpg

I've been happy with this book. It's got some late season info. Having hunted that general area of Colorado quite a bit I've found the availability of acorns in the oakbrush makes a difference on how they move down the mountain. They seem to move through the mid elevations faster when the acorns aren't there. I've never hunted as late as it is this year but I would think keeping an eye on any does you find is going to pay off. That will be a great hunt, good luck.
View attachment 178078
Thanks i will invest in the book!

I've never saved any points. Big deer can be found anywhere in Colorado. 30" bucks have been shot in my unit. Kind of rare but it does happen. 28" are more common. Tag can be had with no points. 40-50% chance with no points. 1 point is a guaranteed tag.

17 points? No way. I want to hunt every year.

I've never saved any points. Big deer can be found anywhere in Colorado. 30" bucks have been shot in my unit. Kind of rare but it does happen. 28" are more common. Tag can be had with no points. 40-50% chance with no points. 1 point is a guaranteed tag.

17 points? No way. I want to hunt every year.
Thats great! I would have loved to go sooner but thats not the way it worked out for us. I do hunt every year just not in colorado.

Reactions: LCH
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back