Colorado leftover list is out

I understand your "perfect world" scenario but don't agree because quality was never a consideration for creating a PP system in CO. It was demand. The strategy of limiting license quotas is, for the most part, not to create a "trophy" area but to better manage hunting pressure and animal movements. There are a handful of exceptions statewide, and those are the ones that create angst over the system at large. Your data above illustrates that perfectly. The Colorado application brochure is littered with elk hunt codes that take 5 or more points and are really not much better quality hunts than OTC.

Yeah I remember one unit I was thinking of applying for but after researching it became clear it was limited because of pressure, not hunting quality. Changed the way I look at them being a low point holder. Now I'm just looking for limited places with a lot of elk because I need help finding a 500lb animal.

Yup the bear tag and didn't draw I applied for now has a dozen tags available. Looks like I'll be playing the leftover game and hope the server doesn't crash...again

The Colorado application brochure is littered with elk hunt codes that take 5 or more points and are really not much better quality hunts than OTC.
I guess I'll be finding out next year when I go into a unit that takes 5-6 points to draw and compare that to the OTC/2nd choice/zero point units. I know there is a big difference between the OTC and the now 14 point unit but unless the system changes, those mid tier units will soon be right with the top units. The gap has been increasing and in about 5-10 years there will be just two classes of limited licenses: the less than 5 point turnover units and the 30 plus point units.

Leftover day is an unfair joke in the grant scheme of things and I bet you things are going to change to a more level playing field sooner than later. They already implemented the secondary draw. Next year I suspect that it will be a random draw for ALL of the tags.

Like I said, I think big changes are coming. Or at least I hope because this leftover day is a joke. Been trying for YEARS to get a decent leftover tag with no success just like many of you.
Retired? I ask because I am not and that is why the lack of a draw process is annoying yet is how CO handles issuing a public asset. Artificial hurdles always create advantages. Such is the leftover draw and returned tag process in CO. These are exactly the situations where a college kid writes a script to brigade the hurdle so unlike others he or she is taking 1000 bites of the apple to get past the spinning wheel of death while you are taking one. A weekly draw for tags is not that difficult. To inspire those who hesitate when thinking about turning in a tag, the failure to turn in the tag sooner can have a more profound impact on that person by creating a 2 year wait to apply for that species again. With enough lead-time prior to season start, the weekly draw works. Or, go to a daily draw. Works for states that run lottery games.
I am aware of internal discussions along these lines already. Consider that we currently have access to phone apps that allow us to enter hunt codes we have interest in, we are alerted when those codes are available, and then we can click through and purchase the license. What if the app was owned by CPW, and you were allowed to enter up to 4 hunt codes for each species, and once a week a random drawing occurred among those who selected the hunt codes for licenses that became available on the list, and those who were selected were sent a notification to purchase the license within 24 hours or it would go to the next person drawn?

I am aware of internal discussions along these lines already. Consider that we currently have access to phone apps that allow us to enter hunt codes we have interest in, we are alerted when those codes are available, and then we can click through and purchase the license. What if the app was owned by CPW, and you were allowed to enter up to 4 hunt codes for each species, and once a week a random drawing occurred among those who selected the hunt codes for licenses that became available on the list, and those who were selected were sent a notification to purchase the license within 24 hours or it would go to the next person drawn?
Let’s do this.

Oak .. your proposal seems the obvious one to me. Dont even need an app, just use the website. My observation was CPW has always seemed against spending the money to support this, but the new commissioners think differently.

Oak .. your proposal seems the obvious one to me. Dont even need an app, just use the website. My observation was CPW has always seemed against spending the money to support this, but the new commissioners think differently.

Agreed. My opinion is some of these issue stem for the commission not actually using the system themselves.

1st draw- Enter as many of the 4 codes as you want. (If you are hung up on hunting area 2 Elk then you better only enter area 2 elk or something very comparable...) If you dont draw your 1st choice 2nd 3rd or 4th then you go onto the second draw. You have a month to take the tag and pay for it or turn it back in.

2nd draw- NOBODY knows what tags are available and what tags have been turned in (There is no list provided) and they take your 3 remaining choices and as they come available you get entered into a random drawing for those remaining tags in the order of your priority of choices 2-4 and you have 24 hours to get the tag AND PAY FOR IT, if you dont pay, it goes to the next person in line.

Also, for any of these choices you loose all of your points.

Wishful thinking...lol

Flame away.

Love Oak's proposal. I hope there is a chance of getting there eventually.

For you grizzled leftover list veterans out there...on a scale of 1 to complete dumbass, how much of a dumbass move would it be to return my Choice 2 deer tag in the hopes of getting a leftover tag that has 15 left? Barring technical difficulties, do I have a legitimate shot?

Love Oak's proposal. I hope there is a chance of getting there eventually.

For you grizzled leftover list veterans out there...on a scale of 1 to complete dumbass, how much of a dumbass move would it be to return my Choice 2 deer tag in the hopes of getting a leftover tag that has 15 left? Barring technical difficulties, do I have a legitimate shot?

You’re probably fine, I assume That tag will recirculate or something better will pop up later on as well. There are a couple deer units that have a pile of returns when people pull up onX for the first time, see the topo lines and then crap their pants. That’s my explanation and no one will change my mind.

That said it is corona year... but I know someone one who hunter DM044O4R on a reissues he got in November.

You’re probably fine, I assume That tag will recirculate or something better will pop up later on as well. There are a couple deer units that have a pile of returns when people pull up onX for the first time, see the topo lines and then crap their pants. That’s my explanation and no one will change my mind.

That said it is corona year... but I know someone one who hunter DM044O4R on a reissues he got in November.
Lol I wasn't scared of topo lines in Colorado. Then I elk hunted last year in unit 74. Now I'm more cautious when reviewing CO units lol

There's no way I can keep it together until November, I'm all hopped up on hunt codes and false hope.
pepe.gif

I turned in a leftover draw deer tag last year, got hosed trying to get any of my top 15 leftover units. So unless you don't really want to hunt the tag, don't return it to get another one unless you're more willing to take the considerable risk of having no tag.

Can you turn in a tag to CPW that is list A at there office and still be able to participate in the leftover day for a list A license?

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back