Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Colorado leftover list is out

Gah, so if I already have an "A" tag for elk is there a way to go about swapping it for one on the leftover list? I don't want to forfeit the tag I have and risk losing it and ending up with nothing.

Gah, so if I already have an "A" tag for elk is there a way to go about swapping it for one on the leftover list? I don't want to forfeit the tag I have and risk losing it and ending up with nothing.
Nope, you would have to return it. And then you might not get it back.

Nope, you would have to return it. And then you might not get it back.

Yea that's what I feared. Looks like I'll make do with what I have. Their are only 5 left for the tag I want so certainly not worth the stress and the risk.

You can do it in person at a CPW office, but if it’s a high demand tag you’re after then you are likely out of luck.

Fair warning from someone whose played the leftover game for a while.

If your unit has under 8 tags, you aren't getting one.

License vendor machines are way faster than internet purchases, they only do one server call and you can put in all your info before 9am. The first person in line at a physical location will win that game.

Post opening day online wins.

I would not return a tag to get a tag on this list your chances of getting hosed are high.

With covid anticipate a CF.

If a person could return a tag to get a tag every Tom Dick and Harry would be applying for an easy to draw tag and turning it in to get a different tag worth more points....can you imaging that fiasco playing out....lol

Leftover day is an unfair joke in the grant scheme of things and I bet you things are going to change to a more level playing field sooner than later. They already implemented the secondary draw. Next year I suspect that it will be a random draw for ALL of the tags.

Like I said, I think big changes are coming. Or at least I hope because this leftover day is a joke. Been trying for YEARS to get a decent leftover tag with no success just like many of you.

@Mallardsx2 and @seeth07

I’m gonna say it... the leftover system is one of the best things going in maximizing western opportunity.

To my knowledge other than AK no other state keeps track of how many hunters actually hunt their tag. COs system of returns/reissues allows them to maximize hunter participation but minimize over harvest. They could guess “oh 30% of hunters won’t go,” then issue more tags in anticipation, but that could go south in any given year.

There are flaws in the system, the computer interface needs improvement, I don’t think third parties should be able to “straw buy” tags for clients, and I think if you get a tag off the list it should kill your points.

Mallard I’m not sure about your comment... that is how the system works already, all leftovers are random draw first time around, all reissued licenses and leftover leftovers are first come first serve. I’m not sure you could do all random unless you did a weekly drawing through Jan. Ie last year it was possible to get a DM43E1R tag 4 days after the season opened.

Last edited:
I look at the reissued license process like a game.. If you don't like it, don't play it.

Last year there were around 10 different hunts with multiple tags each on the initial list I was interested in. By the time I got through the spinning wheel of death they were all gone. But a couple weeks and couple thousand refresh button hits later, I had a tag.

I actually find the entire process to be quite enjoyable.

I look at the reissued license process like a game.. If you don't like it, don't play it.

Last year there were around 10 different hunts with multiple tags each on the initial list I was interested in. By the time I got through the spinning wheel of death they were all gone. But a couple weeks and couple thousand refresh button hits later, I had a tag.

Perseverance and dedication to get your tag in the first place does make that tag even more memorable.

Seems like something needs to change. I applied for a tag 2nd choice with over 50% odds and didn't get it. It wasn't available in the secondary draw, but now there are 5 on the leftover list. Just a little frustrating, but that's part of the game we play I suppose and makes sense for CO to make sure as many tags are sold as possible. I do agree if you get a tag off the leftover list your points should be used.

For this year, they didn't have the schedule together in time to be able to get the initial returned tags on the list for the secondary draw. In the future, they intend to do that.

I listened to the most recent commission meeting where they discussed the reissue process. Several of the new commissioners thought the current process is unfair for those who cannot sit at a computer all day. They didn't propose any changes except for their preference of "once a week" because people can plan for that. Those who have been there before don't want history to repeat itself.

For this year, they didn't have the schedule together in time to be able to get the initial returned tags on the list for the secondary draw. In the future, they intend to do that.

I listened to the most recent commission meeting where they discussed the reissue process. Several of the new commissioners thought the current process is unfair for those who cannot sit at a computer all day. They didn't propose any changes except for their preference of "once a week" because people can plan for that. Those who have been there before don't want history to repeat itself.

Given that you can get an app that will text you when a tag you want comes up and then buy it on your phone I'm kinda rolling my eyes at this one.

If I was going to change the process at all I would set it up to randomly release tags 24/7 so that some are popping up at 2am on Sat.

Weird, the tags I was interested in that were available in last years leftover weren't available in this years secondary draw. But here they are on the final leftover list. I had assumed they just weren't drawn last year and that's why they were available. Wonder why folks suddenly decided to turn them back in? Anyone else notice this??
I applied for a hunt that went leftover last year and didn't draw, but low and behold there's 3 on the leftover list. Im guessing people's credit cards didn't go through or they turned it back in after the fact.

Retired? I ask because I am not and that is why the lack of a draw process is annoying yet is how CO handles issuing a public asset. Artificial hurdles always create advantages. Such is the leftover draw and returned tag process in CO. These are exactly the situations where a college kid writes a script to brigade the hurdle so unlike others he or she is taking 1000 bites of the apple to get past the spinning wheel of death while you are taking one. A weekly draw for tags is not that difficult. To inspire those who hesitate when thinking about turning in a tag, the failure to turn in the tag sooner can have a more profound impact on that person by creating a 2 year wait to apply for that species again. With enough lead-time prior to season start, the weekly draw works. Or, go to a daily draw. Works for states that run lottery games.

they need to only reinstate preference points due to medical or other "extreme" circumstances with returned tags.

that's one piece of the pie that needs changing

i wouldn't mind a weekly draw, but then do we incur more app fees? what about the "normal" leftover units where i do want to just buy one of the many tags leftover - i don't want to have to random draw for that, even if my chances of grabbing it are the same

Retired? I ask because I am not and that is why the lack of a draw process is annoying yet is how CO handles issuing a public asset. Artificial hurdles always create advantages. Such is the leftover draw and returned tag process in CO. These are exactly the situations where a college kid writes a script to brigade the hurdle so unlike others he or she is taking 1000 bites of the apple to get past the spinning wheel of death while you are taking one. A weekly draw for tags is not that difficult. To inspire those who hesitate when thinking about turning in a tag, the failure to turn in the tag sooner can have a more profound impact on that person by creating a 2 year wait to apply for that species again. With enough lead-time prior to season start, the weekly draw works. Or, go to a daily draw. Works for states that run lottery games.

I got a tag last year while on lunch break standing in line at Illegal Pete's.

I imagine this year will be a dumpster fire with so many working from home.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back