Colorado gun ban

I wish at some point we would concern ourselves with the problem we have in this country with violence and leave the gun part out of it. Plenty of horrific stories of violence constantly in the news involving all sorts of weapons, we have issues way deeper than guns.
IMG_5660.jpeg
IMG_5659.jpeg

Do you think that the people raising the stats on gun violence are normal, well rounded people who only committed a violent act because they had access to a gun? Guns do make it easier to commit violence, no doubt about it, but look at the rise in incidents. Something has gone sideways the last 10 years. Stats are great, but they don't tell the whole story when dealing with the societal nuances that feed into them. The number of gun owning housholds in America has been pretty steady over the last 5 decades, why the rise in deaths? Wish I knew
Screenshot_20240216_125317_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Do you think that the people raising the stats on gun violence are normal, well rounded people who only committed a violent act because they had access to a gun?
Of course they are are not well-rounded people, but I'm guessing that was rhetorical. I mostly worry that those that are not normal, well-rounded people can easily get a gun because lawful gun owners don't want to be inconvenienced.

I think some of the data is just noisy. Looking for a cause where there isn't one is pointless. But I do think mass shootings have increased due to some copycat trends. If a person wants to die in a society that values simply being famous...well, you can link the points. It's sad that we can't discuss ways to address the problem.

Would liability insurance be required of non-residents bringing firearms into CO for the purpose of hunting? Honest question.
Something tells me the authors of these bills haven’t really thought through it that much. It is amazing to me some of the people Colorado sends to the General Assembly, definitely not the best and brightest.

Of course they are are not well-rounded people, but I'm guessing that was rhetorical. I mostly worry that those that are not normal, well-rounded people can easily get a gun because lawful gun owners don't want to be inconvenienced.

I think some of the data is just noisy. Looking for a cause where there isn't one is pointless. But I do think mass shootings have increased due to some copycat trends. If a person wants to die in a society that values simply being famous...well, you can link the points. It's sad that we can't discuss ways to address the problem.
I agree, we should be able to have a conversation about real ways to try and stop or solve. I am already inconvenienced while purchasing firearms in Co (3 day waiting period) if it saves a life I am all for it. I would call all out bans and mandatory insurance beyond inconvenient

I agree, we should be able to have a conversation about real ways to try and stop or solve. I am already inconvenienced while purchasing firearms in Co (3 day waiting period) if it saves a life I am all for it. I would call all out bans and mandatory insurance beyond inconvenient
My reaction after reading your post is BS, but in the interest of debate, what parts of the proposal @marksjeep posted (#20) listed out are you ok with? Anything?

Something tells me the authors of these bills haven’t really thought through it that much. It is amazing to me some of the people Colorado sends to the General Assembly, definitely not the best and brightest.
I certainly hope that doesn't become a requirement for anyone, and especially for non-resident hunters or even people passing through the state.

My reaction after reading your post is BS, but in the interest of debate, what parts of the proposal @marksjeep posted (#20) listed out are you ok with? Anything?
Ccw training requirements makes sense, the rest of it does nothing to stop, or prevent a mass shooting, even ccw training doesn’t do anything to prevent a mass shooting, I doubt anyone who has jumped through the hoops to get a ccw permit has then used it to commit a mass shooting crime. In the same spirit of the question you asked me, which of those laws would stop or prevent a mass shooter who has decided to attempt to murder as many innocent people as possible with 0 regard for laws or life?

Ccw training requirements makes sense, the rest of it does nothing to stop, or prevent a mass shooting, even ccw training doesn’t do anything to prevent a mass shooting,
We agree on the CCW training and that most of the other stuff is probably pointless. That should be a starting point for discussion. However, this isn't just about mass shootings, it's about gun violence/deaths (which is really about suicide). Looking at country data, there is an undeniable correlation between ease of gun acquisition and gun violence/deaths, which is why it needs to be addressed. I would rather be a gun owner that suggests definitions of terms and improvements to the system, fully recognizing most of America may be reactive but is the majority. Not addressing it suggest I am ok with innocent people dying as simply "the cost of freedom".

Your 3-day waiting period may have saved a life, but we can't measure that, so we need to stop relying on counterfactuals and stop bitching that we are being inconvenienced. If both sides could stop with the automatic belief that everything is a "false-flag" argument and start from a position of reason we might get somewhere.

Carry on. I'm out.

Went from a comment to a rant. Grinds me gears seeing anyone try to defend gun control. Living in CA has that effect.

Multiple other bills introduced as well. Links to bills below if you are inclined to read them.

Firearms liability insurance requirement - https://leg.colorado.gov/bills/hb24-1270
This will be thrown out on the basis that it unnecessarily burdens a right. Whats next, speech insurance so we don't hurt feelings when their pronouns are ignored?
Concealed carry permit training requirements - https://leg.colorado.gov/bills/hb24-1174
This may actually stick, but again, you are now setting the requirements one must meet for exercising a right. Im a fan of constitutional carry. Criminals do not take tests, pay fees, or obtain permits to carry everywhere. Id like to see training as encouraged but optional.
Prohibit CCW in "sensitive places" - https://leg.colorado.gov/bills/sb24-131
This has already been proven in CA and NY to be nothing more than a ban on carrying pretty much everywhere outside the home. It essentially nullifies the point of having a CCW.
CBI funding investigate firearms crimes - https://leg.colorado.gov/bills/sb24-003
Very vague, broad.
Creating merchant code to identify firearms purchases in financial records - https://leg.colorado.gov/bills/sb24-066
Already just happened . The financial companies seem to volunteer these records to DOJ with zero persuasion.

When it comes to waiting periods, it makes zero sense. If I own 5 firearms already, whats the purpose of preventing me from obtaining another one for 3 days or 30 days if I passed the background check??

When it comes to mass shootings... Why do they mostly take place in gun free zones? If we eliminated gun free zones, would mass shootings drop significantly? Rhetorical questions.

This is why gun owners are so rigid when it comes to giving an inch on gun rights. We get the short end of the stick from laws passed by people with no understanding of firearms. We become felons or comply, and lose our rights while the courts deal with the fallout.

Not one mention of how many times firearms save lives. That data isnt collected because it hurts the narrative. Subtract gang related shootings, as well as suicides, all of a sudden America becomes one of the safest places on earth, with the most firearms by far. With hundreds of millions of guns and billions of rounds of ammunition in America, one can easily argue that the percentage used in crime does not constitute an epidemic, and those using the term have listened to a little too much propaganda.

Fentanyl is an epidemic that the current administration is allowing by surrendering our borders to the cartels. Its sales also contribute significantly to gang/cartel related gun violence. I refuse to be gaslighted by the same people claiming to care about gun violence, while at the same time giving it a free pass, if it's related to selling illegal drugs that they allow to pour into the country!! Sure does help the narrative though.

You just summed up every single politician in all 50 states.
I don’t know. I have lived in almost a dozen other states and nothing comes close to the misfits CO has sent to General Assembly the past few years and the garbage they put out. People really should pay more attention to local elections and spend less time watching what goes on in DC.

Break break

The sensitive places bill basically negates any reason to have a CCW. Every place another person might be is a “sensitive place”. You can still CCW in your car, in your home, and in the woods.

ah yes, I am sorry my white privileged mind blinded me to the name change. I will now sit in silence and reflect upon my dead naming of the mountain…
It’s “settler colonialism” now. Our elected officials in Denver keep me up to speed on all the latest fads in oppression.

Last edited:
I’ll be sending emails and making calls to state legislators. Not sure what else can be done but open to hearing from ideas to maintain our constitutional rights.

Back