Colorado - Grizzly - Adam Greentree

Grizzlies in Colorado

• Yes

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • No

Votes: 78 73.6%

• Total voters
I heard about Adam Greentree claiming to have seen a grizzly in CO a while back, the topic came up again in a conversation with a buddy who had screen captured these pictures from Greentree's instagram. Apparently this is the bear in question... what do you all think? I think it looks just like the black bear I killed in Idaho a few years ago...

View attachment 85696
View attachment 85697

my bear

View attachment 85698
While nobody could say for sure without being able to see the ears, face shape, and claws, I am seeing the distinct shoulder hump of a grizzly.

What rubs me the wrong way is he shows two pictures that are hard to say it's 100% grizzly. The bear doesn't look like it was going anywhere. Why not more pictures?

Big boar black bears get a little bit of that shoulder hump and they lumber heavy on those big front shoulders when they walk.
A thundering type walk. Also wide, big heads.

It could be a grizzly, but I think the chances are too slim. Hunts CO for a week, sees a grizzly? Hunts MT for a week, gets charged
5 times by a grizzly? Not buying it. Local guys hunt for 25 years in those states without either of those things occurring.

My thought.. a grizzly in the photo, but photo not taken in Colorado. That would just be my uneducated guess, not trying to throw any shade at this Greentree guy.
The Photo was taken in the San Juan’s of Southwestern Colorado, not far from where the Last confirmed Grizzly was killed in 1979 by a Hunting Guide by the name of Ed Wiseman. So I would say that there is a chance that it’s a grizzly in this photo . The body shape, size , hump and location- high up in a mountain meadow where grizzly bears tend to roam in the summer months. Now what would prove that it’s without a doubt a grizzly , clearer pic of it with its head more at a level spot , so as to see the pronounced hump, the long white claws and a dish shaped face, would all be better indicators of whether this bear is a grizzly. The Wiseman bear was a female , who most likely had Cubs. So those Cubs offspring, could possibly be barely hanging on in that area of the San Juan’s. It’s all up for debate. There is evidence that there were legitimate Grizzly sightings up into the late 90s in that area. A Book called the Lost Grizzlies follows the search for remaining Grizzly in the San Juan’s. They found scat, large Dig sights and large prints .

The Photo was taken in the San Juan’s of Southwestern Colorado, not far from where the Last confirmed Grizzly was killed in 1979 by a Hunting Guide by the name of Ed Wiseman. So I would say that there is a chance that it’s a grizzly in this photo . The body shape, size , hump and location- high up in a mountain meadow where grizzly bears tend to roam in the summer months. Now what would prove that it’s without a doubt a grizzly , clearer pic of it with its head more at a level spot , so as to see the pronounced hump, the long white claws and a dish shaped face, would all be better indicators of whether this bear is a grizzly. The Wiseman bear was a female , who most likely had Cubs. So those Cubs offspring, could possibly be barely hanging on in that area of the San Juan’s. It’s all up for debate. There is evidence that there were legitimate Grizzly sightings up into the late 90s in that area. A Book called the Lost Grizzlies follows the search for remaining Grizzly in the San Juan’s. They found scat, large Dig sights and large prints .
I don't see how it's possible. Look at various remnant populations of bears in Europe, even those with only a handful of individuals, those bears are encountered... often.

Look at the cabinet-yaak population, there are what 50 bears there? Over a much larger area, that has a fraction of the visitors, yet these bears are frequently encountered, hair samples found, etc.

San Juan's are DAU 30 -35
DAU -30 - 5126 Deer hunters - 2709 Elk hunters
DAU- 35 - 1049 Deer hunters - 4183 Elk hunters

So literally thousands of folks with spotting scopes and high dollar optics are scouring these units ever year. Anecdotally, I hunted about as far back in the San Juan's this year as you can... tons of folks, we hiked past a bunch of camps folks hiked past us... people everywhere.

Other recreation, hikers, bikers, trail runners, Pagosa, Durango, Mancos... google loved to death. I don't know the exact numbers of user days for the forest... no doubt an order of magnitude more than the Cabinet-yaak.

Camped in the San Juan's this summer, on a Monday between Archery and rifle season's we had to drive around a bit to find a spot, I heard from several friends you literally could not find a spot to car camp during the weekend of the 4th.

Then there's food + conflicts. Where are are black bears in the San Juan's during the fall? They aren't at the top Montezuma peak or the back side of Mesa Lato. They're down low in the oak brush... which takes them down into town, people etc. The San Juan's have live stock allotments, grizzly kills, grizzly tracks around some dudes field?

How many bears are in Montana, how many attacks have there been in the last 10 years?

So a large carnivore, that is notorious in all of it's range for having human conflict has gone 40 years without an incident? Without being spotted? Track being found, hair sample... despite people looking... with helicopters? Credible people have reported bears, DOW then CPW now has gone in and done the full court press and found nothing. Independence pass 06'

But yet in seemingly the hardest place likely for a grizzly to live without encountering humans in the United States one has managed to survive, and just happened to be encountered by an NR Alien, on his first hunt in the state...

Now... if a credible source said they saw one in the Medicine Bow... sure

Do you understand how social media influencers work?

Last edited:
Colorado grizzly bear and bigfoot sightings are equally frequent and equally credible. ;)
It's pretty incredible the traction ridiculous shit like this can get, yet we reject scientifically gathered data.

It's pretty incredible the traction ridiculous shit like this can get, yet we reject scientifically gathered data.
Maybe I'm way off base, but aren't a ridiculously high portion of the Cabinet-Yaak bears "named" and ID'd? MFWP knows of most of the grizzlies?

Archuleta County 4.5x population since 1980
La Plata County 2x population since 1980
State as a whole has added almost 3,000,000 people since the last bear was killed.

How many bears are in Montana, how many attacks have there been in the last 10 years?
And bears that start colonizing new habitat in Montana are almost immediately spotted or they get into trouble. It’s big news as soon as a bear is seen in the Big Hole or the Little Belts, and it’s a full time job keeping bears on the prairie out of trouble. And all this is happening in parts of the state with a lot less people than anywhere in Colorado.

Couple years in and it looks like a bunch of you folks need to listen to Mr. Newcomb on the new Bear Grease podcast.

Apparently Adam has been hunt'n Arkansas and been showing his trail cam pics off...

Couple years in and it looks like a bunch of you folks need to listen to Mr. Newcomb on the new Bear Grease podcast.

Apparently Adam has been hunt'n Arkansas and been showing his trail cam pics off...
I like when the AGFC guy said the vast majority of sightings are just house cats lol.

It really is shocking the number of regular, normally trustworthy folks that have told me they for sure have seen a black panther. Probably about the same number that have seen extraterrestrial UFOs.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back