Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Colorado GMU 33.

Nathanj

Thinking of buying a bear tag for this fall to go along with Elk in second season rifle. Never hunted bear in the fall just the spring in Canada. Anyone have any tips, or why I should or shouldn't buy this tag this year for unit 33

If you want to see a bear, don't buy a tag. If you don't want to see a bear, buy a tag.

I've seen them in 33 a few times. I did not have a tag.

If you want to see a bear, don't buy a tag. If you don't want to see a bear, buy a tag.

I've seen them in 33 a few times. I did not have a tag.

There is a way around this dilemma! At the trailhead, just as you are tightening your pack belt, announce to the forest and the world in general....."Dang it, I left my bear tag at home!!". Then proceed on your way, and watch the Ursus americanus fall all over themselves to show themselves to the poor hapless dude who, at least theoretically, has left his bear tag at home.

There is a way around this dilemma! At the trailhead, just as you are tightening your pack belt, announce to the forest and the world in general....."Dang it, I left my bear tag at home!!". Then proceed on your way, and watch the Ursus americanus fall all over themselves to show themselves to the poor hapless dude who, at least theoretically, has left his bear tag at home.

Lol, I'll have to try that next time.

Focus on food. Can't emphasize that enough. Figure out what they're feeding on, find sources of food away from roads/trails, and pound the glass. Best way for the food bit is a combination of scouting, talking to CPW biologists, and (my favorite) read academic papers on google scholar. You can usually find ones in the state you're interested in that talk about food sources, elevations, time of year, etc. A lot better than going in blind.

In 2nd season, bears in CO still tend to be in the oak brushy mid elevation range. The leaves will be dropping so glassing starts to get easier in the oak brush. If you get an elk, the gut pile would be a good spot to check for bears in the following days.

Nathanj, are you a resident? If so definitely buy the tag if you have any wish for a bear. Worst case scenario is you give a little $$ to the CPW cause :) I got talked into the tag in 2017 that led to this bear. Joker just walked out in front of me ..... you never know.

Attachments

• 287_1508984913227.jpeg
    287_1508984913227.jpeg
    195.6 KB · Views: 18
  • rug.jpg
    rug.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
  • skull and pecker.jpg
    skull and pecker.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 18
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics