Caribou Gear

Colorado Elk

...thanks guys.

No shots Tom. I really wanted a bull but decided I'd take a cow by monday afternoon if a good clean shot was offered...nothing but tight glimpses thru jailbar aspens.

ddw...we were about 45 miles west of Durango northeast of Dolores off the West Dolores River Highway. We drove thru your town coming & going....gorgeous drive.

Ithaca...not much to tell. I busted a small herd Sunday just before I heard Craig shoot...tried to head them off but they beat me to the border. Way over to the west Craig heard his group before he saw them. there were 12 with the bull guarded walking thru a pine knob he was posted on the perimeter of. He flattened & adjusted his stoney point bipod's left foot to lower his muzzle...the cows spotted this slight movement & stopped... the bull walked right out of the pack. Craig sent a 180 grain nosler from a 300 wby thru both lungs...he staggered 15 yards & dropped. One of the stranger things was that Craig had forgotten to bring his binos with him. The bull fell at 9:30 a.m....we had the last load back in camp to cool by 4:30 that evening.

Monday morning I bumped 8 cows into a meadow but I was still in the trees with no clear shooting lane...was still wanting a bull.

Tuesday the weather was changing for the worst and fast. I watched the shooting light appear in a large meadow then hiked into a stiff & cold southeast wind in the general direction of a long shallow canyon about a mile from my sunrise post. I carefully approached the rim & immediately saw a large group (probably 30) mingling in a thick aspen grove at the bottom...about 80 yards. Saw one decent bull for only a couple of seconds though I don't think he was the stud guy. Tried to get in position to find a shot lane but they moved out & up the north slope of the depression. It's amazing how fast they vanish even though they appear to be simply walking. I try to head around & hope they slow or stop....no way.
By then it's snowing pretty hard...I hotfoot it back & help Craig break down camp.

Dolores

I was born n raised in cortez, Used to hunt the Glade quite a bit as well as Taylor Mesa, Haycamp Mesa and Roaring Fork area as well. Nice country over there.

If you wanted to earlier, could you have shot a cow? Too bad about monday and impenetrable jailbar aspen. Like threading a needle, eh, or they were running or what? Seeing 40 elk is awesome! There must be some people stuck up there with all that snow too, wow.

Maybe Tom, but it would have to have been an offhand hurried shot..... my fear of wounding one held me back.

280 said:
Its a little different when there is no high fences huh?

Might surprise ya bub but I wouldn't know. What I do know us that your classy D.H. Lawrence signature is wasted on a parade pisser like you.

"Its a little different when there is no high fences huh?"

I was wondering why the heck that was posted??? :confused:

Then I read a bunch of 280's past posts, all of them bash someone or something.

moseley my son got snowed out of there hunt here in wyoming too. he did take a cow just as the storm started.
his two buddys had to leave due to the storm. they had to go back to saratoga and buy tire chains to get the RV and the horse trailer out.
i tried to call them and warn them of the storm but they had no cell service.
i really was afraid being young boys they would try to tuff it out and be stranded.
this was his first out of town hunt without me he is 20 yrs old.

Looks like it was an adventure. Your close calls with elk will do nothing but fuel the fire. Keep after it Ken.

Congrats on the good hunt, NHY. Your buddy really lucked out with the moon this year. ;)

Well, thanks for the details. Sounds like you had plenty of action. That's all it takes to make a good hunt. Sounds like ya pulled out just when the hunting was starting to get good!:D Nothing like elk hunting in a foot or two of snow!

ddw-

Your search likely ended up smelling something akin to sour milk....something that 280 enjoys pouring onto most threads.

....that being said, I believe that 280 had been called out in the past to post a picture or two of his hunting prowess (for 280; prowess: from Old French proesse, meaning extraordinary ability) and since we've yet to see any, they likely either don't exist or he is still trying to find one of his cronies at the bar that will lend him one of their own.

Either way, congrats again harley- being able to smile in a snow storm says a lot about your hunt!

Oak said:
Congrats on the good hunt, NHY. Your buddy really lucked out with the moon this year. ;)

Yep Oak...LMAO, the waning gibbous was good to us.

Marv, that was a grimace but I was mentally smiling. Don't be too hard on 280... his type of misery shares no company and isn't contagious.

WTG NHY!
glad you had a good time.
280 must have some sort of infatuation with you.......ALERT: might be a wood eater.

Congrats to your buddy on the elk, sounds like a great trip. You'll get em next time.

First the moon now the snow... what a bunch of Sallies... LOL

280 and Shoots Straight are bitterroot bar buds as well as brokeback buds. Haven't seen any pictures or an atta boy from either one. Doubt we ever will. Must suck to be that miserable a person.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back