colorado elk points?

dan.kirkpatrick

with elk points costing the full up front price of over $550 plus habitat stamp,,,is colorado worth building points up for that big bull or do most people just do the general otc tags?even though they will send back all but $28 and the hab stamp fee of $10.question is are the limited entry elk in colorado worth building up points for or not?Most hunting shows ive seen of colorado bulls were not all that impressive size wise....how many points will it take to pull a tag in a unit that has big bull potential?

It will take you 15-20 pts for a big bull potential unit like 2/201/10, and there are others. Is it worth it? Do you like to hunt elk?

Don't mean to be a thread stealer, but curious if anyone knows if I don't buy points this year, do I lose previous points or can I skip a year without losing them?

Points accumulate until you draw a
first-choice license. If you fail to apply for
or have not purchased a license during
a 10-year period, all accumulated points
for that species are purged from your
record and become void.

with elk points costing the full up front price of over $550 plus habitat stamp,,,is colorado worth building points up for that big bull or do most people just do the general otc tags?even though they will send back all but $28 and the hab stamp fee of $10.question is are the limited entry elk in colorado worth building up points for or not?Most hunting shows ive seen of colorado bulls were not all that impressive size wise....how many points will it take to pull a tag in a unit that has big bull potential?

I may be mistaken, however, I have been appling for points and "I BELIEVE" that you only have to pay for a "COW LICENSE", which is somewhat cheaper. Maybe somecan correct me.

good luck to all
the dog

Exactly. Get the point and draw a second choice tag or hunt OTC. Why NOT get a point.

As I like to say, i would put in for points for skunk if they offered them. Ya just never know what you may be dying to hunt someday....so plan ahead.

PDR is correct. The points fee is the antlerless lower cost fee.

would like to do a muzzleloader or posibly bow hunt in a few years,,,just colorado cost alot of extra money to build your points up,racking up the credit card.are there some good hunts at say 4 points?any recomondations?

thank you pointing dogs,,,as long as im only buying the preference point it was $354 online for a elk point,,,I read over the rules and it is species specific for a point only,same as a non-res cow app,,,It will be $579 the year i actually put the full app in for a bull hunt.the online app kicked the $354 price up,not the $579 price automatically on p point as !st choice on checkout,thanks.

would like to do a muzzleloader or posibly bow hunt in a few years,,,just colorado cost alot of extra money to build your points up,racking up the credit card.are there some good hunts at say 4 points?any recomondations?

To get a Muzzy Bull Tag it typically takes a couple PP's for most general units. So i'd highly suggest getting a couple pp's if you want to go elk hunting with a muzzleloader soon.

got my colorado elk point and just sqeezed enough out of the c c to get a antelope point yesterday too,,,now just to research for a good muzz elk area i might be able to pull in a couple more years.

I'm kinda in the same boat... Got 5? points for elk and with the amount of creep some of these units are taking to draw, I'm going to have to settle on something more realistic at some point....

I should be finally burning my 17 Colorado PP's this year with an Area 61, 2nd season Bull license. I'll get my one chance in a limited area and then never have to worry about point creep again.

The only thing on my mind now is making that one chance count.

I put my 10 points on the line this year and if I draw I'm pretty sure I'm done with points. The area I want to hunt in the future can be drawn with 0 points, at least until Eastmans, Huntin Fool or some other publication or website blows it up like they did my two favorite deer area's :mad:

I know a guy that bagged a 374" net Bull last year in a 1 point area which is bigger than the 320" Bull another guy I know got in GMU 2 which took him 17 points.

Im only looking for a "good" chance type unit,,,say 7 points or less,but dont have 10 plus years of waiting willpower,,,looks like point creep keeps climbing as fast as my points.

There are some hunt areas that take less than 10-12, but not many. Collect your points, but be prepared to have to collect more than you anticipate.

17 years ago I sent in for a hunt area that took 3 points. Today it takes over 20 so I never caught up to the point creep. Yes, collect the PP's but hunt OTC between now and when you draw.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back