Colorado elk hunting

fulldraw

I am sitting on 10 Preference Points for elk in Colorado and think I better try to use them. I have never hunted elk in Colorado and would like any information on any areas where 10 points would give me a chance on a decent bull, if that is possible. I have hunted elk a few times in Wyoming but only collected points in Colorado.

Thank you for any info you are willing to share.

Last edited:
If it were me I would use one of the OTC seasons and learn the areas that I would target for a points hunt.

Weapon of choice?

The most important thing to understand going into the process is that you're probably not going to find a hunt that you can draw with 10 points that seems like it was worth waiting 10 years for.

As far as weapon of choice for my Colorado hunt. Rifle, bow. or muzzle loader which ever would give me the best opportunity with 10 points.

Muzzle loader season in Colorado is great, in that it usually hits the rut real well. I hunted unit 49 two different times during center-fire and took one small 4x4 and a non-typical 6x6. I think there are some good bulls there, though, and I think it takes at least eight points to draw that hunt now (not positive, but I don't pay attention anymore).

If you consider that area, I can give you actual gps coordinates to look at.

Good luck with your choice.

Sure bets in '17 for NRs w 10 pps: Archery gmu 4, gmu 33 either sex ml, archery gmu 10, gmu 40 bull 4th rifle season. Plus many others that take less than 9 pps.

GMU 49 bull ml: among NRs w 10 pp, 6 out of 20 drew in '16, meaning this year 11 pp may be the minimum. 49 1st rifle bull, 9 of 18 NRs w 10 PPs drew last year, so this year's odds will be less than 50/50.

PM if I can help further.

Sure bets in '17 for NRs w 10 pps: Archery gmu 4, gmu 33 either sex ml, archery gmu 10, gmu 40 bull 4th rifle season. Plus many others that take less than 9 pps.

GMU 49 bull ml: among NRs w 10 pp, 6 out of 20 drew in '16, meaning this year 11 pp may be the minimum. 49 1st rifle bull, 9 of 18 NRs w 10 PPs drew last year, so this year's odds will be less than 50/50.

PM if I can help further.

Wow! 49 kind of went crazy. That was sure a fun hunt, though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back