Caribou Gear Tarp

Colorado Elk and Mule Deer & Units ???

• Thread starter Deleted member 40315
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 40315

New to the hunting game and want to get some advice on Colorado. 1 point (elk) from applying last year. Any chance of drawing this year in any section? Probably not, but wanted to see what everyone thought before I apply again this year and just take the point. I will probably take the point and do an over the counter for elk and mule deer. How are units 140, 141, 142, 851, 133, or 85 for elk and mule deer? Just looking to southeast Colorado first and foremost coming from Texas. Not looking to get a record hunt but first time in Colorado, wanted to see what those areas were like for elk and mule deer...thank for your help and the suggestions. :) Looking at rifle, muzzle, and archery.

There are a lot of units to hunt on one point (draw) especially for archery. You can also apply for a PP as your first choice and then hunt OTC rifle or archery elk. In a state like CO, you can absolutely hunt every year with or without the draw. There are a ton of excellent mule deer units that you can hunt on one point (archery) too.

Just to be clear there are no OTC mule deer tags. I'm not sure about the others but you wont draw archery 140 deer tag with 0 and just a slight chance with 1pp. Unless you have private to hunt you can almost forget rifle or muzzleloader in that unit also. There are few allowances for the 1 piece of public you could hunt but you apply for that after getting the tag. (Not worth it IMO to chance that) I wouldn't plan any elk hunt in the 100 units unless you have private property locked up which would probably mean you are a close blood relative or have lots of money. plenty of deer in all those units its just getting the tag. I use these stats as a good starting point

Howdy from a fellow Texan!

The units you listed are mainly private lands which means you will have access problems or just be stuck hunting certain areas. I would look a but further west if I were you.
Start studying the Colorado Regional Hunt Guides and the Hunting Atlas. I would also suggest a membership to GoHunt just to make research easier and save some time, I did all my apps last year without it but researching units this year was way easier. OnX is a great tool too, I already have possible camps and glassing points marked for the unit I should draw.

The units you listed are mainly private lands which means you will have access problems or just be stuck hunting certain areas. I would look a but further west if I were you.
Start studying the Colorado Regional Hunt Guides and the Hunting Atlas. I would also suggest a membership to GoHunt just to make research easier and save some time, I did all my apps last year without it but researching units this year was way easier. OnX is a great tool too, I already have possible camps and glassing points marked for the unit I should draw.
I like yer style

Just to be clear there are no OTC mule deer tags. I'm not sure about the others but you wont draw archery 140 deer tag with 0 and just a slight chance with 1pp. Unless you have private to hunt you can almost forget rifle or muzzleloader in that unit also. There are few allowances for the 1 piece of public you could hunt but you apply for that after getting the tag. (Not worth it IMO to chance that) I wouldn't plan any elk hunt in the 100 units unless you have private property locked up which would probably mean you are a close blood relative or have lots of money. plenty of deer in all those units its just getting the tag. I use these stats as a good starting point

thank you for the helpful tips! very much appreciated. I have the 2019 Colorado Big Game CPW and as detailed as it is; I am still confused. Definitely gonna go with Go hunt and I have my OnXMaps ready to go. Do you suggest that I buy a point for mule deer and elk and do an OTC tag for elk? Just wondering with only 1 point...thanks again. have no problem looking west further too :) thanks again!

thank you for the helpful tips! very much appreciated. I have the 2019 Colorado Big Game CPW and as detailed as it is; I am still confused. Definitely gonna go with Go hunt and I have my OnXMaps ready to go. Do you suggest that I buy a point for mule deer and elk and do an OTC tag for elk? Just wondering with only 1 point...thanks again. have no problem looking west further too :) thanks again!
I would definitely buy 1 for mule deer. Unless you can draw with 0 in the unit you finally decide to go with for elk. Just my opinion but I wouldnt buy both unless you have a couple weeks to hunt or money is no object. Of course I say that and you will see the biggest deer ever with no tag in your pocket lol. As far as to use you elk point or not is just a toss up. I think the biggest difference you would find is the number of people. I have never been in an OTC unit where I haven't been surrounded by people on certain days but all alone on others with no rhyme or reason as to why. Just my opinions I'm sure others have theirs.

Thank you for the incite. Very much appreciated.

Reactions: LCH

I wanted to let you know that I did get a gohunt membership. Wow! I also have been studying google maps, trail apps for the Colorado areas, called the US forest service, and have talked to multiple Colorado CPW hunt coordinators and regional offices about terrain and advise for where to go. For the most part, everyone has been super helpful and the terrain maps with hiking trails and onX maps help big time. I appreciate the help and direction. It is very much appreciated. I have changed my hunt to archery this year to September. Ultimately, a friend called me last week and he decided that he and about 5 others are headed from California to hunt elk and asked if I would changed my plans to go during the rut. I said why not and I’m in! So, hunting during the rut and now with my bow I gonna be a total different experience as well as a weather change to September I’m happy about the warmer weather and hunting in the rut. Thanks again for all your advise and recommendations. I have been working out overtime making sure I’m in shape, properly equipped, and educated on elk hunting strategy and terrain. Joining hunttalk has been one of the best decisions I have made to improve not only my harvest potential but the purest of enjoyment towards a full elk hunting experience. Super excited about this coming September elk season! Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope you have a blast! September will be here before you know it.
Oh, I’m actually headed to the bow shop on Wednesday to restring my bow. I shoot a halon 32 #6 and was going to restring it next spring but decided that I better get it done now and run some arrows through it to get the string conditioned. I have a few ASA tournaments through July; that will help me tune my shooting for sure.

Anyone have a preference on strings? I have always shot zebra but heard there are some better quality string brands. Love my bow and shoot axis pro 5mm( just switched to them last spring and love em; highly recommend) Going to shoot muzzy 4 blade fixed with 1 inch diameter cut. I’ve heard they have taken a lot of elk. We will find out :) Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I’m actually headed to the bow shop on Wednesday to restring my bow. I shoot a halon 32 #6 and was going to restring it next spring but decided that I better get it done now and run some arrows through it to get the string conditioned. I have a few ASA tournaments through July; that will help me tune my shooting for sure.

Anyone have a preference on strings? I have always shot zebra but heard there are some better quality string brands. Love my bow and shoot axis pro 5mm( just switched to them last spring and love em; highly recommend) Going to shoot muzzy 4 blade fixed with 1 inch diameter cut. I’ve heard they have taken a lot of elk. We will find out :) Any thoughts?
There are lots of great string builders out there. GAS, Catfish custom and hogwire make the best strings on the market Imo. They are smaller builders and it shows in quality. For more commercial strings 60x is some of the best I've seen. As well as firststring, vaportrail, JBK, archeryshack, etc. I personally wouldnt buy zebra string(unserved loops and lower quality compared to other makers) and winners choice(not the quality I expect for the cost). Lots of choices just depends how much you wanna spend and the materials you are looking for.

As for broadheads I personally am not a fan of muzzys or most aluminum ferruled broadheads. For replacable blades my choices would be a qad Exodus, trophy taker shuttle T, Magnus, or iron will. For not replacable fixed I would go with VPA, tooth of the arrow, or cutthroat broadheads.

Last edited:
There are lots of great string builders out there. GAS, Catfish custom and hogwire make the best strings on the market Imo. They are smaller builders and it shows in quality. For more commercial strings 60x is some of the best I've seen. As well as firststring, vaportrail, JBK, archeryshack, etc. I personally wouldnt buy zebra string(unserved loops and lower quality compared to other makers) and winners choice(not the quality I expect for the cost). Lots of choices just depends how much you wanna spend and the materials you are looking for.

As for broadheads I personally am not a fan of muzzys or most aluminum ferruled broadheads. For replacable blades my choices would be a qad Exodus, trophy taker shuttle T, Magnus, or iron will. For not replacable fixed I would go with VPA, tooth of the arrow, or cutthroat broadheads.
Oh wow! Thank you for the information and advise! I’m doing my homework on strings and you’ve given me a great start. Thank you for the broadhead advise. Great stuff! Thanks!

I went with GAS. Gotta say that I’m very impressed. Quality is much better. My bowshop highly recommended them and ordered them direct. So far so good. Thank you for the advise! Apparently, all strings stretch slightly. We will see how these hold up. I’ll keep you posted. My bow will be ready for elk season for sure.

I went with GAS. Gotta say that I’m very impressed. Quality is much better. My bowshop highly recommended them and ordered them direct. So far so good. Thank you for the advise! Apparently, all strings stretch slightly. We will see how these hold up. I’ll keep you posted. My bow will be ready for elk season for sure.
Awesome! Yeah all strings stretch but great strings stretch to a point and stop. Them they should be Rock solid. Some of it is the material but 95% is the builder and GAS is one of the best. Good luck this year bud!

Back