COLORADO - Due April 2, 20123

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Alright folks. Time is getting near for the Colorado application deadline. Less than a month to go.

Need help deciding where to hunt in Colorado or how to apply? Help from Colorado Parks and Wildlife is just a phone call away. 303-291-PLAN (7526) They have staff working the phones M-F 8-5 MT who can talk through strategies for applying, rules specific to Colorado, info on where to hunt and how to use their virtual scounting tool. The advice is free and only a phone call away. Don't wait until the last minute. their not busy now, but will be as the application deadline approaches (April 2, 2013)

Here is the link for the regulations and application guidelines:

http://wildlife.state.co.us/RulesRegs/HuntFishRegulationsBrochures/Pages/BigGame.aspx

Colorado has the best online information of any state. If you are a beginning elk hunter, or even an experienced elk hunter, you should go to the Elk Hunt University pages on their website. I go there and read pretty much every article that gets posted. Here is the link to Elk Hunting University.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/ElkHuntingUniversity/Pages/ElkHuntingUniversity.aspx

Let's see ...... 23 million acres of public land ....... over 250,000 elk ..... some of the best moose, goat, and bighorn sheep in the country ......... the best mule deer herd on the continent.

Yup, I will be there. Hope to see you there.

Soc.-Net.-Web-Ad-576x143.jpg

Thanks for the heads up Fin.The wife and I will be putting in for our 2nd deer point this year.

I have a friend trying to talk me into an over the counter tag for CO. He got one 2 years ago and took a decent 5x5 on the second day of the hunt. Ill probably just hold out until then.

I just put in my application yesterday and I can't wait for the season. What BF said is absolutely true about the DOW here. They are really helpful and will go out of their way to help you get out there and hunt. Last year was my first elk hunt and with the help of a great new friend I've got a decent 5x5 with 12" brow tines on the wall and in the freezer :) I didn't find out where I was hunting last year until it was too late to apply for tags (OTC bull only) in that area but his year I hope to get deer and cow tags as well. Oh yeah, my buddy talked me into putting in for a RFW doe prongy tag too. The ranch had a 87% success on does last year and took 0 points so lets hope that goes through too.

To emphasize even more....Prior to last years hunt I poured over the Elk Hunting University and the Atlas on the DOW website and they have TONS of information. I hope everyone pulls a tag and gets out there into OUR wilderness with me!!!

SFC B

Sent my cash that way yesterday, hope CO sends me an either sex elk tag. :D

Fin, can you tell me how I can claim tags for myself, son, and son in law are a legitimate business expense? I will compare your answer to my accountants.

...bet it's the same answer.:p

Thanks fin, got the information in the mail the other day from CO, i will look to keep building points for there this year. But it wont be too long before i get serious about an early season alpine hunt up high for those mule deer..

Fin, can you tell me how I can claim tags for myself, son, and son in law are a legitimate business expense? I will compare your answer to my accountants.

Advertising! Don't you have clients that hunt and come to the office to talk about Colorado elk hunting?

I'm just giddy about the draw, there is a real good chance I'm gonna listen to bugling bulls all night for 9 days straight!

Legitimate business expense, with emphasis on legit? :D

Good luck with that one. He might be more creative than I am, so I suggest you take his answer, not mine.

I hope he didn't tell you to start a TV show. I can give you a lot of good reasons not to do that.

CPW Hunting Planner for 2013 and 2014 can be found at this link. A handy brochure of important dates and information.

View attachment CPW 2013 Hunt Planner 1-10-13.pdf

Steelhead - Yeah, that date applies if you are only wanting to buy a point. Just realize that if you want to buy a point, you must pay the entire tag fee.

Did mine tonight...$718 for a couple of preference points and a habitat stamp..thats a decent whack of coin even if i have no plans to hunt there this season. Looking forward to the refund of the licence fees! For some reason i would be more happy to pay an $80-$140 non refundable licence and then purchase preference/bonus points for $5-$10 each year more so then putting a larger amount on the table knowing you will get it back a few months down the track when you are just point building.
Got no issues with money going towards management and habitat in the form of a licence to keep and build my points, just seems like its one step back and two forward when you are accumulating points in Colorado.
Best of luck to all who are applying for hunts.

I'm in for deer, but having burned my points last year, I expect a big zero.

Another point for elk coming this year. That will get me to 17 points. Not that I am holding out for any special reason, just can't find any hunt with that amount of points that fits my schedule for this year. I think I will try burn those points next year. For this year, I am committed to actually killing an OTC bull on camera, rather than shooting trees, passing on bulls in big groups of cows, and you name it.

In addition to the point for elk, I applied for a second choice cow tag. Last year there were left overs in that unit, so I am hoping to snag one as a second choice and be armed with a bull tag and a cow tag this year. If I have those in my pocket and come home empty, it is time to get a new host for this operation.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back