Colorado Cuts.... Best fishing in my life....

schmalts

Spent 10 days in Colorado living like a pack rat out of a rented Dodge Promaster with a guy from work ($390.00 unlimited miles from bankrupt Hertz).. Mountain biked 5 days in a row, then took a rest day and then did the hardest 7 hour 10 miles one way trip to a lake I have been wanting to get to for a couple years for a few reasons. 1, is there big bucks and bulls up there? 2, can we at least lead a horse or mule? (nope) , 3, I heard rumors the fishing is stupid good....
Well after biking buffalo creek, Breckenridge, Beaver creek, Crested Butte, and the monarch crest we took a day to rest and hiked in after a buddy drove up from NM to meet us for the trip. No maintained trail, lots of windfalls, epic wilderness. First 10 casts, 8 fish landed and the other casts had hits and follow ups. The fish were trying to grab the lure out of the mouth of the hooked fish! The sad reality, it was too easy, it got boring after a few hours but man what a view. If for some reason you do recognize where it is please keep it to yourself, and I will not say where it is. Places like this are special and are for those who put forth effort to research and hike such a brutal stretch just to fish.20200812_093858.jpg20200815_073226.jpg

Last edited:
PETE turns 60 this year, he is a bad ass old guy for making this trip. He had not fished in 30 years and never did a ultralight back pack trip with a crazy guy with a map, sleeping bag, tarp, fishing rod, and a jetboil.... HE LOVED IT... but he also did the Leadville 100 last year.
20200814_175703.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing better than fishing those hidden gems in the backcountry. Glad you found yours.

Super Pat, sorry I missed your call. You were a about 90 miles north of us at the Crested Butte leg.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back