Colorado considers using public land for affordable workforce housing

marksjeep

https://coloradosun.com/2023/02/04/colorado-workforce-housing-public-land/

Title is perhaps a little clickbaity as state land =/= public land in Colorado. However, from the article, "A spokesperson for Colorado’s Democratic Gov. Jared Polis said the land some federal agencies own, oftentimes in town centers, have “great promise for housing opportunities.” The Western Governors’ Association, which Polis chairs, urged Congress to make the transfer of land to states, cities and counties easier as a solution to housing shortages." So the article goes a little deeper than just the proposal regarding state land.

Oh man, this is a slippery slope for sure. I understand the idea of using under utilized public spaces in a city... but when that doesn't dramatically lower the cost of the living, what's next? There is also another side to this... what happens if this does help lower the cost of living, then more people come, then it gets all messed up again.

We definitely need solutions, but this is one that scares me

Oh man, this is a slippery slope for sure. I understand the idea of using under utilized public spaces in a city... but when that doesn't dramatically lower the cost of the living, what's next? There is also another side to this... what happens if this does help lower the cost of living, then more people come, then it gets all messed up again.

We definitely need solutions, but this is one that scares me
TABOR

Same folks will cherp about how I'm wrong but that's the driver.

Colorado and the Rockies in general punch themselves in the nuts by not using tax policy to reign the explosion of the uber wealthy.

Here is a property in Eagle, CO
1675962754297.png
1675962765730.png

Here is a property in Ann Arbor Michigan
1675963349505.png
1675963325085.png
1675964173040.png
1675963331004.png

So $75k taxes on 19MM versus $44k taxes on $3.3 MM

In reality there is a ton of private buildable land in Eagle County. Ridiculously low tax rates starve local governments for resources, make it impossible for them to match wages to cost of living, and promote a culture of McMansions. The property I cited specifically has used some of the most absurd zoning I've ever seen (worked in the assessors office for a bit) to get their house zone as agg). This kinda gross IMHO fraud, happens all over the west were folks get their ski lodges zoned as agg by buying old working ranches, and then pay a fraction of the taxes. This crap needs to end. I'm not trying to push old ranching families out, but if you don't live on the land, and have livestock/farm GTFO.

Seriously look at those numbers $1.3MM assessed on a 19MM second home versus $865k on a $3.3MM primary home... holy crap did they have a savvy lawyer/ developer rigging things for them.

If you allowed Colorado governments to charge comparative rates to other parts of the country you could easily 3x your tax base. You could pay teachers/firefighters/LEOs salaries that would allow them to live in the towns where they work and you would likey see these giant properties sold and cut up to create more housing.

The west wants it both ways, folks don't want to take their medicine and they want to destroy public lands instead.

Last edited:
TABOR

Same folks will cherp about how I'm wrong but that's the driver.

Colorado and the Rockies in general punch themselves in the nuts by not using tax policy to reign the explosion of the uber wealthy.

Here is a property in Eagle, CO
View attachment 264009
View attachment 264011

Here is a property in Ann Arbor Michigan
View attachment 264014
View attachment 264012
View attachment 264015
View attachment 264013

So $75k taxes on 19MM versus $44k taxes on $3.3 MM

In reality there is a ton of private buildable land in Eagle County. Ridiculously low tax rates starve local governments for resources, make it impossible for them to match wages to cost of living, and promote a culture of McMansions. The property I cited specifically has used some of the most absurd zoning I've ever seen (worked in the assessors office for a bit) to get their house zone as agg). This kinda gross IMHO fraud, happens all over the west were folks get their ski lodges zoned as agg by buying old working ranches, and then pay a fraction of the taxes. This crap needs to end. I'm not trying to push old ranching families out, but if you don't live on the land, and have livestock/farm GTFO.

If you allowed Colorado governments to charge comparative rates to other parts of the country you could easily 3x your tax base. You could pay teachers/firefighters/LEOs salaries that would allow them to live in the towns where they work and you would like see these giant properties sold and cut up to create more housing.

The west wants it both ways, folks don't want to take their medicine and they want to destroy public lands instead.
I also realize this makes me look bluer than a smurf... but I think there should be an additional tax on second and third homes in some of these towns. its ridiculous what is happening in these ski and bikes towns and no one is doing anything to discourage it. Either via taxes or some other measure.

I also realize this makes me look bluer than a smurf... but I think there should be an additional tax on second and third homes in some of these towns. its ridiculous what is happening in these ski and bikes towns and no one is doing anything to discourage it. Either via taxes or some other measure.
Blue like those commies in Texas? I mean even in Texas this guy is paying almost the same for a $4.5MM property as a someone in Eagle is paying for a 19MM property. (appraised values)

There is absolutely a reason beyond "the view" why folks are targeting properties in the Rockies.

1675964860790.png
1675964799742.png
1675964809813.png
1675964818229.png

There are some giant pieces of undeveloped private in Eagle county... just saying

1675966928222.png

yeah its crazy how property taxes work here
Welcome to Co... do a deep dive on Douglas Bruce

Crooked architect of our #@)(*%* up tax system. Also charged with money laundering, attempted bribery of a public official and tax fraud. Convicted on 4 of the counts... sentenced to 180 days in jail... paroled, violated parole and did another 2 years.

A story that really makes it's own gravy when you dive into it...

The vain attempts of folks to get rid of this crap has been known as de-brucing

Last edited:
So the property from above...

There is a small 50 acre property that is, through a complex system of joint interest in Diamond Star Inc, tied to the property with the 19mm home that allow the home to use the 50 acres with some hay on it as grounds for it to be zoned agg and thus skirt taxes.

Notice the absurd shape of the lot on the top left corner.

All of the homes in Diamond star use this scam to avoid taxes.

1675972250792.png

Last edited:
Well, if they stick to land owned by the State of Colorado then that fits with the way state owned land is supposed to be used per the state's rules. Since the land has to turn a profit then housing certainly fills that need.....now, making it easier to transfer federal land to state ownership to make housing happen....well, that's just not ok in my books. If they added a clause saying the land had to be part of an incorporated area then sure, that would make sense. But it will only be a matter of time before some big developer identifies a federally owned property adjacent or near an expensive resort town as a "good site" for housing and the snowball will start rolling. I can think of some pretty good examples surrounding Telluride, Silverthorne, Frisco, Steamboat, well, you get the idea.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back