Colorado Assault Weapons Ban Submitted

The way it died leaves me believing that they never intended to push it far, just kinds feeling out crowd.

Sorry for not being more clear. I’ll go back and edit the original. That is not what I was saying at all.

Do you have stats to prove that the majority of gun deaths are the result of drinking? Im afraid you’re not making yourself clear. What “controls” are you talking about?

This is my question. I don’t have answer, it’s a curiosity. As other people
Who have stated in this thread, if those who own guns don’t make some suggestions and just parrot NRA phrases, the other side will continue to pursue all out bans on types of guns. There must be a reasonable compromise. It will take some effort on our part as well. I’ll be thinking about this and will dig into drunk driving laws over the last 40’years.

Drunk driving and blaming cars is a good corollary to mass shooting and blaming guns. Major injury or death is result of innocent bystander.

Drunk driving deaths have been decreases by 37% since 1982. During this time population has increased, more peiple Driving, cars now go faster.

Source

So. What controls can be placed around guns and their ownership, availability, use, enforcement that will have similar results (e.g. less mass shootings) to the controls placed around automobiles and it’s ownership, availability, use, enforcement , punishment.

Original post I referenced.

That's because it's such a ridiculous argument. It is exactly like blaming people who drive cars for drunks that kill people while driving. It's not the car's fault or the designer or the manufacturer. It's not the other people who drive cars' fault. No one even has that thought. But when applied to guns, all of a sudden it somehow makes sense to some percentage of people. Probably people that don't see the utility of guns (protecting from tyranny) because it's a nebulous hazard ("it will never happen in our modern society").

Hmmm. I agree personal responsibility has decreased, as a result of societal and cultural changes. Unfortunately, I’m not sure that genie can go back in the bottle.

Forks and food is personal responsibility, yes. Self inflicted.

Innocent bystander being killed by school or public shooting, or by drunk driver. Neither is self inflicted. I don’t think you can compare forks to them

It’s called personal responsibility and in this country it’s sorely lacking. It’s easier and more acceptable today to blame everything except the person. Just look at what happened in Chicago with that mob of teens. The mayor and officials blew it off as kids being kids during the nice weather, no accountability.

To your point above, should we blame forks or junk food for the obesity problem? Why should it be about personal responsibility…that would hurt feelings. How many lives a year does poor health choices result in?

Sorry for not being more clear. I’ll go back and edit the original. That is not what I was saying at all.

Do you have stats to prove that the majority of gun deaths are the result of drinking? Im afraid you’re not making yourself clear. What “controls” are you talking about?

This is my question. I don’t have answer, it’s a curiosity. As other people
Who have stated in this thread, if those who own guns don’t make some suggestions and just parrot NRA phrases, the other side will continue to pursue all out bans on types of guns. There must be a reasonable compromise. It will take some effort on our part as well. I’ll be thinking about this and will dig into drunk driving laws over the last 40’years.

Drunk driving and blaming cars is a good corollary to mass shooting and blaming guns. Major injury or death is result of innocent bystander.

Drunk driving deaths have been decreases by 37% since 1982. During this time population has increased, more peiple Driving, cars now go faster.

Source

So. What controls can be placed around guns and their ownership, availability, use, enforcement that will have similar results (e.g. less mass shootings) to the controls placed around automobiles and it’s ownership, availability, use, enforcement , punishment.

Original post I referenced.
I think of drunk driving deaths going down because society as a whole showed the damage it caused (MADD) and eventually changed many people’s behavior. Along with the public campaign much stiffer penalties were put forth as well.

Tbh, I’m not sure it translates well to gun violence. Stiffer penalties, I’m down with that. Matter of fact, I saw a stat that a small but not insignificant percentage of shootings were done by people that had been released from jail. There were 4 different shootings in Portland in one week about 3 weeks ago where the perp had been released on bail or let off on other charges to be put back on the street. The letter of the law has lost its teeth, unless you vote a certain way and then they pull out all the night of the law.

As far as a media campaign or something like that, what can be said? Shooting is bad, please don’t do it?

In the end, it’s a complicated issue that is too often boiled down to headlines and blaming of an object. IMO, it’s a society problem that starts in the home. That’s a tough sell in todays world because it brings in taking responsibility for your actions.

We could also talk about social media, lack of respect for our fellow citizen, constant division by the media, misinformation in the face of facts, emotional propaganda, etc. The list is long.

Last edited:
Wife’s brother is similar to what you described. He’s not allowed in my house. Ever.
One of my friends has an aunt like that. Every time she sees him, she asks, so, how many guns do you have now? He says, one less than I need.

The way it died leaves me believing that they never intended to push it far, just kinds feeling out crowd.
As someone who grew up in WA state, a state that is finally about to officially ban most semiautomatic weapons after years of trying, I urge Coloradans to stay vigilant about this. This isn’t the last time they’re going to try to do this. Not even close.

One of my friends has an aunt like that. Every time she sees him, she asks, so, how many guns do you have now? He says, one less than I need.
That’s funny. It’s weird because my wife’s whole family is very pro 2a. I think the brother was dropped on his head as a baby, maybe more than once.

As someone who grew up in WA state, a state that is finally about to officially ban most semiautomatic weapons after years of trying, I urge Coloradans to stay vigilant about this. This isn’t the last time they’re going to try to do this. Not even close.
MN is getting close also. And it wasn't that we have had big swing in public sentiment on the issue. What we had was repulsion by moderate R voters to the election conspiracy crap and crazy Q-spouting candidates we had on some tickets and we got a boatload of new Ds that give them full control of govt. and they are trying their best to get this and many other things rammed through before the Trump election-losing engine runs out of gas and a more reasonable legislature is restored. Elections have consequences and the dance with Trumpkin has cost this state dearly.

Last edited:
MN is getting close also. And it wasn't that we have had be swing in public sentiment on the issue. What we had was repulsion by moderate R voters to the election conspiracy crap and crazy Q-spouting candidates we had on some tickets and we got a boatload of new Ds that give them full control of govt. and they are trying their best to get this and many other things rammed through before the Trump election-losing engine runs out of gas and a more reasonable legislature is restored. Elections have consequences and the dance with Trumpkin has cost this state dearly.
New GOP campaign song to rally voters because our party has been corrupted by one.

I had some family over for Easter. One of them, she’s got a couple fancy degrees. Her husband used to be in to guns before she castrated him and keeps his nuts locked away in her purse. Anyhow I was showing him one of my prs guns, a bolt action 6 creedmore in a krg chassis. She had to make the comment that people shouldn’t be able to own things like that. I asked her to elaborate? The reply, “guns for killing people”. What would give her the impression that gun was designed for killing people? It’s black, has a “clip”, and looks scary, a big scope, etc. those were the answers.

Anyone know what the best light Montana beers are? Asking for a friend.
You could point her to this site so that she’ll understand that Cripplemores don’t kill.

62EEC32B-27D1-457E-B5A1-DB769B36E59E.jpeg
Come on guys! You all could be doing something productive such as sitting in a blind with some decoys out trying to kill a gobbler, like me :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back