Caribou Gear

Colorado Application Questions

jakenbake

So I got bit by the Western hunting bug after finding Randy and his platforms when my oldest kid was born and I was home on paternity leave, but between living on the East Coast and being the primary caregiver of two little kids going on 7-10 day hunts just isn't in the cards for a little while longer. I've started building points in Colorado for elk/deer/antelope and I'm coming into this application period with 3 points. What I'm wondering is if my intention is a 1st season rifle elk/2nd season rifle deer/any pronghorn tag in the next 3-4 years, does it make sense to keep building points, or is the difference between the hunts in the 3/4/5 point range not really meaningful enough to warrant the ~$300 in point fees itd be to keep building those point totals over the next few years?

It all depends what your goals are. I don't like holding on to points for a "long time". I would rather burn 2-3 points and go hunt then save them for years and years. As a guy from the east coast I go hunt out west in units that "aren't good" and it makes me laugh bc of the quality and quantity of game and the amount of public to explore on.

Like I said it really is completely dependent on what your goals are and there isn't anything wrong with building points, but I want tags, haha.

I would throw my hat in the ring for deer this year. I've enjoyed fun hunts in muzzleloader, early rifle, 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons for deer in Colorado, all in areas that as of last year were 0-3 point units. Things might get wild in the draw this year for 2nd/3rd/4th rifle season due to the dates, but I doubt there will be a lot changes with the earlier hunts.

As far as elk, I'm not speaking from experience here, just from my own strategy. Another year or two may open up a few more options, especially for 1st rifle and muzzleloader. I'm also at 3 points, and the hunts I really want currently take 4 or 5 points.

Pronghorn, unless your a bowhunter or after a doe tag, not a lot of opportunity in Colorado at that point level.

So I got bit by the Western hunting bug after finding Randy and his platforms when my oldest kid was born and I was home on paternity leave, but between living on the East Coast and being the primary caregiver of two little kids going on 7-10 day hunts just isn't in the cards for a little while longer. I've started building points in Colorado for elk/deer/antelope and I'm coming into this application period with 3 points. What I'm wondering is if my intention is a 1st season rifle elk/2nd season rifle deer/any pronghorn tag in the next 3-4 years, does it make sense to keep building points, or is the difference between the hunts in the 3/4/5 point range not really meaningful enough to warrant the ~$300 in point fees itd be to keep building those point totals over the next few years?
This is Elk NR with 9 points. It starts at 6 meaning there is 0 advantage of having 9 NR points over 6 NR points.

I've never hunted a CO elk unit that required more than 1 point. The units I've hunted that are leftovers were far less crowded than the hunts I've gone on that required 1pt. 🤷‍♂️

If you wanted to hunt one of the units below that take 3-4 points, then keep up with the draw odds and make sure point creep isn't going to knock you out of the running, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.
1615911675945.png

Deer similar feelings.

This is the first year for me applying for a Pronghorn hunt, 4 points, probably wont draw, I had like 5 units to choose from, only one of which was appealing at all YMMV.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back